Moparts

indy cylinder valve covers

Posted By: 70moparmike

indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 02:18 PM

what are you guys doing for pcv and oil fill on these valve covers? they tell you to use the moroso kit but i don't want screws sticking out of my valve covers? any pics of baffles and top sides would be appreciated. thanks moparts
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 04:15 PM

Mike I welded baffles into my INDY valve covers, and then have the Moroso screw in breathers. As for changing oil? use a funnel when you adjust valves, and have the covers off.

Attached picture MotovatorJuly19.png
Posted By: topside

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 04:24 PM

Here's what I ran initially: push in breathers.
Problem is they have a tight 0-ringseal, so I collapsed the rt side during an oil change.
I then adapted a PCV there, using a grommet.

Attached picture Motor2.jpg
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 04:26 PM

This is my set up.

Attached picture 5601AB78-EAD6-4402-BF1B-699955493279.jpeg
Attached picture F5E3A5F5-556C-4A44-AE5B-9F948BEEF147.jpeg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 05:28 PM

Indy messed up on those covers when they forgot to add a little extra material for screw in fittings. All they need to do is thicken the casting in a couple of spots on the cover so a person can drill and tap for a #12 o-ring type fitting. They should also add a few cast in bosses on the underside that can be drilled and tapped for screws to hold baffle plates. You can add all of that stuff but it requires some work.

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 05:39 PM

Andy, mine are drilled and tapped for the Moroso breathers. I do not run the nut that Moroso sends with, and can turn them out. The breathers have a O ring to seal them up.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 06:01 PM

Pardon my dust, I have the front sheetmetal off for bodywork and the shop is pretty dusty right now.
I just used OE 1970 style breathers, stock Mopar grommets and Bolted in homemade baffles.
Button head screws would have worked better but this is functional.
You can weld in the baffles for a cleaner appearance.

I wasn't sure I would like this, but it has
been fine for years. I started out with a breather puke tank and hoses which also worked
but I got tired of the clutter + there was never any oil in the tank so it clearly didn't need any of that.

Attached picture 5BFD3783-55EE-479C-8B79-B51B9980BA20.jpeg
Attached picture B7E711AC-3F75-4F82-968D-3CAA2592E609.jpeg
Posted By: cl440

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 07:37 PM

Right side cover is the same but no oil fill. I added the baffles because it was sucking a little oil. The baffle totally eliminated that problem.

Attached picture 20200222_180443.jpg
Attached picture att_158206921519147.jpg
Attached picture att_158206922234557.jpg
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 08:08 PM

I had baffled tubes welded on to each valve cover for a clamp style breather, welded a #20 AN male fitting onto the front section valley plate with a AN cap to pour the oil in.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Mike I welded baffles into my INDY valve covers, and then have the Moroso screw in breathers. As for changing oil? use a funnel when you adjust valves, and have the covers off.

That car is so sick. Jeff, what brand of paint did you use on the engine. My last batch of VHT did not seem be as green as previous batches

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Pardon my dust, I have the front sheetmetal off for bodywork and the shop is pretty dusty right now.
I just used OE 1970 style breathers, stock Mopar grommets and Bolted in homemade baffles.

been fine for years. I started out with a breather puke tank and hoses which also worked
but I got tired of the clutter + there was never any oil in the tank so it clearly didn't need any of that.

I have never seen the roll pin retainer on a steering coupler. Is that a factory part? Sorry for hijack!

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/21/20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

That car is so sick. Jeff, what brand of paint did you use on the engine. My last batch of VHT did not seem be as green as previous batches

Dupli-color DE1619. You can get it at OReilly’s

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/22/20 09:47 AM

thanks for all the pics. i like the stud welded in pic the best, did you have any clearance problems with the roller rockers? thanks
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/22/20 11:42 AM

I have never seen the roll pin retainer on a steering coupler. Is that a factory part? Sorry for hijack!

Yes, it is a factory type repair part that I believe originated from a TSB.
It holds the stamped steel part on the back of the coupler more securely.
Over the last 30 years or so two sources that I know of in Metro Detroit have sold them.
Mike Randall had them for many years, but when he ran out Jim Fillmore started selling them.
I got this one from Jim.
Posted By: cl440

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/22/20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 70moparmike
thanks for all the pics. i like the stud welded in pic the best, did you have any clearance problems with the roller rockers? thanks

Are you referring to mine with the threaded standoffs welded in?
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/22/20 12:14 PM

I use a rubber grommit on the driver side with a pushin style breather on a tube extended a couple inches above the valve cover. I have a filter sock on the pushin breather. On the pass side i have a -12 hose connected to valve cover with AN fittings. I now get 0 oil leaks on top of my motor. Before this, after a spirted drive i would have oil running out valve covers and all over the valley tray. You need a way to vent the crankcase pressure and this set up works. Next option would have been a vacuum pump. No baffles in covers and rattle can caliper paint.

Attached picture IMG_0929.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0927.JPG
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/22/20 01:37 PM

I welded a pair of male -10 AN fittings onto mine.

Attached picture new 440.jpeg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/22/20 01:39 PM

On the hemi I welded in a -12 male fitting on the driver's side cover for the vacuum pump. Passenger's side got a welded in fill cap.

Attached picture hemi 1.jpg
Attached picture hemi 2.jpg

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/22/20 04:36 PM

yes
Posted By: jughed

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/23/20 12:07 AM

Weld everything ....

Attached picture IMG_20201022_185420254~2.jpg

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/23/20 08:55 AM

Yes, it is a factory type repair part that I believe originated from a TSB.
It holds the stamped steel part on the back of the coupler more securely.
Over the last 30 years or so two sources that I know of in Metro Detroit have sold them.
Mike Randall had them for many years, but when he ran out Jim Fillmore started selling them.
I got this one from Jim.

Thanks Rich! I will give Detroit Muscle Technologies a call today.

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/23/20 08:58 AM

Dupli-color DE1619. You can get it at OReilly’s

Thanks for the info amigo. One of these days I need to see that 68 in person.
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: indy cylinder valve covers - 10/23/20 06:13 PM

A friends dad made these for me. I drill and tap the bosses for a 10-32 machine screw. Did not go through the covers.

Attached picture 51420877-EC58-417B-BF9E-50D5A14E31BE.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums