Moparts

Preferences for external oil pick up?

Posted By: feets

Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/20/20 10:37 PM

I've got to run an external oil pick up for the Imperial's 543. Being big fat street car it'll never see any real Gs on launch or braking, and you can forget cornering.
I'm sure that 99% of the users have accereration in mind but what did you use and how do you like it?

I'm not sure if I'd rather weld a flange to the pan, use an O-ring bulkhead fitting, or what.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/20/20 11:15 PM

440source offers a couple options
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/20/20 11:16 PM

The external stuff usually leaks so for a street car you should spend some extra time and make sure it is leak proof. You'll have to re-engineer the stuff that is on the market since it is all designed for drag racing and tends to leak.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/20/20 11:19 PM

Im using the Indy/ melling oilpump with a single oil line #12 and a O ring static milidon oil pickup
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/20/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

440source offers a couple options

Hmmmm I don’t see it listed on their site now.
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/20/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
The external stuff usually leaks so for a street car you should spend some extra time and make sure it is leak proof. You'll have to re-engineer the stuff that is on the market since it is all designed for drag racing and tends to leak.

i have 2 cars sitting in the garage and both have dual line milodon systems and neither one leaks and amazing the one just sat for 7 months getting painted and fired up with 80 pounds instantly. that is a street car with no issues at all.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 12:46 AM

What oil pan?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 01:15 AM

They only leak 'cause they're not installed correctly. On the Milodon stuff you have to use o-rings between the pickup body and the pan and thread sealant on the fittings into the pickup body. You don't need any sort of seals on the bulkhead nuts. Once you've tightened things down there's nowhere for that pickup to leak. Now there is one caveat .. where the fittings go through the pan the surface MUST BE FLAT. I've seen some pans that have the holes right where Milodon has rolled a bead. If it isn't flat for the o-rings to compress, its gonna leak.

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What oil pan?

Likely the stock pan. I haven't found any aftermarket pieces that have the extra notch in the front corner for the C bodies.

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

Leaking is my primary concern.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 03:44 PM

For a street car I'd probably install a pickup from a dry sump system into the side of the pan. That gives you a fully welded assembly with no joints that can leak.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 06:42 PM

I have the DMI washers/seals on two different engines using Milodon single line external oiling w/ static pickups. One seeped a little oil from day one. A thin coating of silicone b/t the washers and around the fittings stopped it and has been leak free ever since.
The other required no sealer, just the supplied O-rings, and has been leak free.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 11:00 PM

I would use the Milidon static single line pickup on your deal mounted into the rear of the sump near the drain plug scope Call Milidon Engr. at 805-577-5950 to get that part number, sorry I couldn't find it for you scope
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/21/20 11:54 PM

When running the hose make sure there’s an S, no just down to pan. Reason it hold a reservoir of oil for quick prime, if not it drains back to pan.
Posted By: markz528

Re: Preferences for external oil pick up? - 10/22/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
I have the DMI washers/seals on two different engines using Milodon single line external oiling w/ static pickups. One seeped a little oil from day one. A thin coating of silicone b/t the washers and around the fittings stopped it and has been leak free ever since.
The other required no sealer, just the supplied O-rings, and has been leak free.

The DMI washers/seals did not work without mods on my Milodon pan because the hole in the pan was too big. I modified it to work. I am an o-ring junkie, and everything that I can o-ring I do. I had zero leaks on the race motor while on the dyno.

Attached picture IMG_3480.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3469.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3476.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3481.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums