Moparts

First passes with the new set up!

Posted By: gsmopar

First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 02:30 PM

Build Thread

A buddy loaned me his trailer and this was the first event (test and tune) at my local track without COVID restrictions which allowed me to bring the family. Also new is my "COVID Ram." 0% on the remaining 2019! Loved my 06, but felt that it was time to upgrade.

First pass in several years for me and first pass on the car since switching from a wedge and factory front suspension to a pump gas hemi and GERST. Foot braking, full exhaust, street car, etc... Car launched straight and pulled hard through the gears. I hit the brakes at the end, waited for my opponent in the left lane to clear and made the turn to the return road. Noticed some smoke and thought I might have developed an oil leak, but it smelled funny.

I let the car cool and checked things over. No fluids on the ground, headers, etc... Popped the radiator cap, no oil in the coolant. Couldn't quite place the smell. I thought maybe one of my trans blanket straps came loose and touched a header???

Second pass. There were several cars in the "slicks lane." I was hoping to race something a little more like my car, but maybe the turbo civic broke or something. Car launched and ran great again. This time the safety guy ran over to me as I was picking up my slip, "Your front brakes are glowing, check your brakes!" Yep, that was the smell!

The car runs faster on pump gas no nitrous, than it did on the bottle with the wedge. I think there is a 9 in it with a little tuning (I didn't even pull a plug), timing is conservative 32. It currently only techs to a 10. I'll upgrade the front brakes and take the second turn off next time out. Hoping to do some 1/8 mile no prep stuff and turn on the nitrous in the short term. Maybe get the cage certed, NHRA License, etc... next year.

[Linked Image]IMG_5191 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_5196 by Greg Ault, on Flickr
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 03:01 PM

Very nice!! up
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 03:07 PM

Nice, Congrats!
Posted By: Tig

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 03:12 PM

up
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 03:16 PM

Awesomeness! Congratulations! beer
Posted By: tboomer

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 03:19 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: GY3

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 03:30 PM

A great day for sure!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 04:22 PM

Hell ya that suckers scootin and bootin.......Time to work on the 60 foot and 330 times then it will fall into the 9's no problem....
Posted By: justinp61

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 05:42 PM

Nice passes! I don't know the combo but it's really moving in the back half. up
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/18/20 10:14 PM

Awesome, great job!!
Posted By: tex013

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 12:42 AM

Running nice

Tex
Posted By: Wookie316

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 01:08 AM

Nice passes man

We’d be basically heads up. I put a 10.13 and a 10.12 up this year on a radial tire.
I run mid to hi 10.20’s when I’m on the bias tire.

I like you have to stay above 10. Working on a 572 which I know will run in the 9’s.
I’ll have to slow it a bit.

Great looking car man. Love it.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 01:10 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 01:57 PM

Been a long road Greg! Very nice results!!

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 02:58 PM

Thanks buddy!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 03:12 PM

The car looks amazing and I am glad you had a mostly trouble.

What is your current brake setup? I would make sure your rear brakes are contributing enough before replaced the fronts, unless they are stock now maybe?

I had the opposite problem with my brakes Friday night. My car has been off the whole way down the track both outings this year, turns out my brakes are dragging. My best run by a good margin was one where I pulled the brake pedal up with my foot once I got in 2nd gear.

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish

What is your current brake setup? I would make sure your rear brakes are contributing enough before replaced the fronts, unless they are stock now maybe?

I had the opposite problem with my brakes Friday night. My car has been off the whole way down the track both outings this year, turns out my brakes are dragging. My best run by a good margin was one where I pulled the brake pedal up with my foot once I got in 2nd gear.

These are my current front brakes. I have a proportioning valve full open to the rears which are SVO Ford disc brakes from Dr. Diff. I turned off at the first turn out (my fault) both passes, but I think the car is too heavy for the current MPH and these brakes. I haven't inspected them yet. If the pads are still good, I might reconsider.

[Linked Image]IMG_2203 by Greg Ault, on Flickr
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 03:43 PM

Congrats on making it out. Car looks awesome and runs great. Especially for a first outing.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 03:59 PM

Good Job!
Posted By: GY3

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/19/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by gsmopar
Originally Posted by Bad340fish

These are my current front brakes. I have a proportioning valve full open to the rears which are SVO Ford disc brakes from Dr. Diff. I turned off at the first turn out (my fault) both passes, but I think the car is too heavy for the current MPH and these brakes. I haven't inspected them yet. If the pads are still good, I might reconsider.

[Linked Image]IMG_2203 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

I saw some guys on Facebook talking about the Wilwood Polymatrix pads and how much better they work. Going to try them and see if they are better.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/20/20 12:16 PM

Well done with the first outing, really love this car great job !! up
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/20/20 01:59 PM

Question - how does that trailer handle the tight turns with the axles so far apart?

Nice car and performance !

Re: First passes with the new set up! - 10/20/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Transman
Question - how does that trailer handle the tight turns with the axles so far apart?

Nice car and performance !

I had to do some tight maneuvers to get it out of my neighbor's yard. Handles great, no issues, and very similar to my old Haulmark with the traditional spread on tight turns, but better on the road. I told my neighbor that I was considering a triple axle, and he recommended going with the dual spread axle (he's had several of both). I'm glad that I got to try it as it has changed my mind on what I want.
© 2024 Moparts Forums