Moparts

Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip?

Posted By: GY3

Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/22/20 09:48 PM

I'm going to upgrade over the winter to double adjustable rear shocks.

I currently have the Calvert/Rancho 9 way single adjustable.

Looking at Afco, Viking and Jegs price point of shocks.

This is for the street/strip 330 with Cal-Tracs and 275 drag radials.

We welded on a new upper mount to get the shocks more vertical so it made the shock requirement shorter.

My questions are:

1. Which is the best shock for my application?

2. Since it's not a stock length, do I measure for length with the car at ride height and then full extension?

3. Do they only come with the spherical rod end mounting and are there any issues with that?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/22/20 11:31 PM

I have no problem with Viking shocks, call them and they'll advise you on what shock is best for you're application.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 12:22 AM

my Vikings are great .
im sure with measurement they could set you up .

Tex
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 01:28 AM

AFCO , strange or Santuff

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 01:31 AM

Yes when ordering
You need fully
Extended and ride height
Numbers . You looking for 4” or more of extension

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 01:34 AM

The best shock will be the one that offers the most control . Especially on extension . Mopar slings short front segment means a short instant center . More power needs more control means real stiff on the extension

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
The best shock will be the one that offers the most control . Especially on extension . Mopar slings short front segment means a short instant center . More power needs more control means real stiff on the extension

Yes, it's at #9 setting on the Calvert shock now and it needs stiffer. It does fine on well prepped tracks but anything less is hit and miss.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by n20mstr

Yes, it's at #9 setting on the Calvert shock now and it needs stiffer. It does fine on well prepped tracks but anything less is hit and miss.

Consider n20mstr 's comment and more. Figure out where your racing future will be years down the road. A costly double adjustable isn't so costly if you end up upgrading three times! Also consider any suspension changes you may make in the future. I run ladderbars. With 920 hp and they are VIOLENT. Better to gave too wide a range of adjustment than not enough.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 02:07 PM

Buy what you can afford. I'm sure the expensive ones are great, but I've been happy w/ my Vikings so far. I may outgrow them, but we'll see.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Buy what you can afford. I'm sure the expensive ones are great, but I've been happy w/ my Vikings so far. I may outgrow them, but we'll see.

Good thing about Viking shocks. They are easily re-valved.

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 03:37 PM

Did you buy your Vikings directly from them?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Yes.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 05:38 PM

I'll put in another good word for Viking. I just run their standard DA shock on mine and have been happy with them. My car has been a best 60FT of 1.41@3550lbs

The Biggest eye opener I had for DA shocks was on Drag Week 2018 on the last day. I went my best 60ft in time trials of 1.41. Much later in the day 1st round of elimination for my class I went a 1.65 and had to steer the car even, still won the round. The track was absolute garbage and with a few adjustments I got the 60s down to low 1.5s and made it down to 4 cars. I don't think there was anything I could have done to get the low 1.4s back but it was nice to see the adjustments work each round.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 05:57 PM

I had single adjustable Strange rear coil overs on my old pump gas Duster that work fine for street duty, I ended up swapping them to the same shock with double adjustable which was a good thing, especially at the tracks up

Re: Double adjustable rear shocks for street/strip? - 09/23/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Yes.

Warrior or Crusader series?
© 2024 Moparts Forums