Moparts

Mopar Hemi heads

Posted By: cudaman1969

Mopar Hemi heads - 09/15/20 10:46 PM

Just picked these up and would like to know how much potential is in them. Is the bare head the same just different number? What’s a good price for these, never used

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 12:14 PM

Those are the newer/better Edelbrock castings of the old MP heads. They will flow a little better than the MP heads when ported. I have the older MP heads on my motor that were CNC ported at MCH.
Depending on the rest of the combo, 900+ hp isn't a problem at all out of those heads.

edit...those aren't the same head I don't think. Top looks like the older MP casting like I have. Bottom is the newer version of the same heads cast by Edelbrock for MP. They are slightly different, but I don't think there'd be any real issue using the pair together.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 01:48 PM

The “M2” is the Ede made head.

I can’t say if that head has any more potential than the earlier head or not.
The main benefit with them is the ootb fit and finish is just nicer.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 01:49 PM

Thanks for reply, I have a pair of the one with the springs, the bare one was thrown in with the deal (might try to find a matching one). They will go on the 572 (mopar block)
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 01:53 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...that-seemed-worth-doing.html#Post2781691

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 02:17 PM

Meant to say all three were in plastic bags so the reason I asked what they were.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 02:39 PM

Now I have to go look at the heads, good read.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
The “M2” is the Ede made head.

I can’t say if that head has any more potential than the earlier head or not.
The main benefit with them is the ootb fit and finish is just nicer.

Seems like I remember MCH saying their CNC ported versions of the Edelbrock casting were about 5-10 cfm better than the older 110-M MP casting. Don't quote me on that though.
I have a pair of the Edelbrock castings on the shelf and they're definitely a nicer set of heads out of the box than my MP castings were.
FWIW...I've been beating on the MP castings since 2006 and no issues w/ valve seats coming out. Probably just jinxed myself, lol.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/16/20 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
the bare one was thrown in with the deal (might try to find a matching one)..............

Wish I had noticed this discussion sooner, as I had a brand new, single 110-M head (first one shown) on the shelf for several years.

I sold it to Dwayne W. at Thunder Performance two weeks ago. (It might have changed hands by now, not sure).

Give me a shout if you want to try to track it down and need a phone number.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 12:12 AM

The M2 casting has a "ramp" added from the intake valve spring pocket up to the valve cover rail. It looks like it would be better for the SS Hemi guys that run the raised intake port (and can't just weld them up due to NHRA rules).

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by mr_340
The M2 casting has a "ramp" added from the intake valve spring pocket up to the valve cover rail. It looks like it would be better for the SS Hemi guys that run the raised intake port (and can't just weld them up due to NHRA rules).

They have to use cast iron only
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 10:20 AM

I will ask my friend if he has one or two MP Heads new and if he has one head wants to sell it,

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 01:11 PM

Thankyou
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 01:31 PM

Would the 1964 Hemi cars be an exception?
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 01:49 PM

The 65 cars would be the exception.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 03:49 PM

1964 Hemi Car used Iron K Heads and 1965 used Aluminum K Heads.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/17/20 04:08 PM

Aluminum replacements can be used on any legal Super Stock Street Hemi combination in addition to the 1964 Race Hemis. Check the NHRA Stock Car Classification guide.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/18/20 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by sixpakdodge

Aluminum replacements can be used on any legal Super Stock Street Hemi combination in addition to the 1964 Race Hemis. Check the NHRA Stock Car Classification guide.

And would be a power loss unless they let the racers up the compression. The 340s are back to the iron head now

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/18/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by sixpakdodge

And would be a power loss unless they let the racers up the compression. The 340s are back to the iron head now

No compression, but the aluminum head is allowed an extra 9 cc on the intake, but -6 cc on the exhaust. I have a set on the bench I've been experimenting with. If they don't work well enough on the car, I have a pair of iron backups.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/18/20 06:50 PM

That cc allowance will help, and certainly easier to weld and work with. Did NHRA add HP for the aluminum head?
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/18/20 07:45 PM

That cc allowance will help, and certainly easier to weld and work with. Did NHRA add HP for the aluminum head?

Go to NHRAracer.com and search for the year of car and engine and see. Look under -> Stock Car Classification.

There will be notes on the engines that say what parts make what differences in what classes.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/18/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by John Brown

Go to NHRAracer.com and search for the year of car and engine and see. Look under -> Stock Car Classification.

There will be notes on the engines that say what parts make what differences in what classes.

Been there but not in awhile, rules change like the wind, anybody need an LD340 lol
Posted By: cuda499

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/18/20 09:26 PM

who ports them and the size of the intake valve would be determining factors

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/18/20 09:28 PM

10 HP...runs at 460 instead of 450. I just wanted to get some weight off the nose. I think the car is going to end up heavy.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/19/20 03:16 AM

Looked into if the MP M2 Head of my friends is still around and he said yes but a Super Stock Racer has already asked and is going to buy the head. because he hurt one of the Heads on his car.

Re: Mopar Hemi heads - 09/19/20 02:52 PM

Wonder if he needs another?
© 2024 Moparts Forums