Moparts

If If I change the quench what really happens

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/14/20 08:02 PM

I might end up changing the quench height on a build.. what really happens to
the performance on a street engine.. I might have to go from .039 to like .080 so
my exhaust valve will get proper clearance(other than compression)
wave
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/14/20 08:38 PM

less quench slows the flame front

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/14/20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
less quench slows the flame front

So I just advance timing to help the slow front shruggy
wave
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/14/20 09:15 PM

It might require less timing to prevent detonation. Ages ago I had some friends who both had very similar 360s. One was 10.5:1 with KB pistons and quench was paid attention to. The the other was 9:1 no attention paid to quench. The quench engine was almost a full second faster and could run more timing than the lower compression engine.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/14/20 09:34 PM

The mixture in the quench volume will burn, but it may burn too quickly.

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/14/20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
It might require less timing to prevent detonation. Ages ago I had some friends who both had very similar 360s. One was 10.5:1 with KB pistons and quench was paid attention to. The the other was 9:1 no attention paid to quench. The quench engine was almost a full second faster and could run more timing than the lower compression engine.

Good to know.. right now I need to check the exhaust pocket depth to see if I can mill them deeper
and still have enough material in there before I can make any decisions.. might be easier to get
some other pistons if cheap enough.. I will sonic check them in a day or so
wave
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/15/20 01:44 PM

Mike,
In my opinion the engine will be more prone to detonation with that much clearance.
Bill
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/15/20 02:00 PM

Could you maybe find a ex valve with a hair thinner margin and cut the piston a tiny bit like you mentioned?

Just a thought, if you have a wide margin on your ex valve, couldnt you flat off .010 without issue, I know some of the ferrea valves I use have a very very thick margin that could give some room if needed.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/15/20 04:53 PM

Deckaids ago i used a cutter that you put in place of the valve , secure the head to the motor with a couple of bolts and use a drill to cut each piston. It made a mess but grease in the crevice of each piston/ cylinder wall allowed me to clean it up fine. Wow, that must have been 45 years ago now. Crane or Comp or Isky had the cutter, can't recall who.

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/15/20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
Deckaids ago i used a cutter that you put in place of the valve , secure the head to the motor with a couple of bolts and use a drill to cut each piston. It made a mess but grease in the crevice of each piston/ cylinder wall allowed me to clean it up fine. Wow, that must have been 45 years ago now. Crane or Comp or Isky had the cutter, can't recall who.

I did the same thing years ago but this engine is still on a stand and I can pull the pistons
to put on the mill
wave
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/16/20 02:10 PM

that's what I did, I cut an old cyl head into thirds & got an intake & ex valve that were .100" larger than the valves & glued sandpaper to the faces & used a drill. I put tape around the perimeter on the piston to contain the debris & had the piston at TDC. worked perfect
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/16/20 02:21 PM

Isky still has them.

Isky Valve Pocket Cutter
Posted By: Clanton

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/16/20 04:34 PM

How much would a high swirl high velocity port help?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/16/20 11:10 PM

It seems high swirl and high velocity don't matter much after all, they got 330 CFM sewer pipe heads on 345 CID truck engines now and they don't lack any TQ...

The term "High velocity heads" just means the heads don't flow enough
Posted By: dizuster

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/21/20 06:40 PM

Mike,
Years ago I had a 340 my Dad put together for me in a duster. It had 10:1 with very little quench. It would knock like crazy on pump gas.

Shortly after being put together, it ate a flat tappet cam, and all of the metal went in the pistons. Rebuild the motor with another set of flattops, but this time at 12:1 with very tight quench (.035"). That motor would run on 93 octane ALL DAY....

So I'm not sure what your plan is, but I was able to raise compression almost 2 full points, AND have it run better on 93.

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/22/20 12:05 AM

I havent been out in the shop to do some measurement but I have thought about new pistons
wave
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: If If I change the quench what really happens - 09/22/20 01:29 AM

It had 10:1 with very little quench. It would knock like crazy on pump gas.

Rebuild the motor with another set of flattops, but this time at 12:1 with very tight quench (.035"). That motor would run on 93 octane ALL DAY....
So I'm not sure what your plan is, but I was able to raise compression almost 2 full points, AND have it run better on 93.
I'm convinced!
© 2024 Moparts Forums