Moparts

65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel

Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 03:29 PM

I am sure this topic has been beat to death...

But does anyone know the approximate weight difference between fiberglass and steel fenders? It's for a 65 coronet, but really just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thank you,
Casey FJ
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 04:00 PM

On my 68 Road Runner, it was a 30lb difference, for the pair.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 05:05 PM

There is not a lot of weight savings on the fenders only, especially with fibreglass. Carbon fiber and Kevelar is a lot lighter per fender than fibreglass but way more expensive.
I would look at a one piece frontend with a lift off hood so you get the weight savings on the bumper and brackets, grill, headlights, hood and as well as the fender weight savings scope
The fibreglass doors are the best weight savings on most early Mopars scope
My 1970 Cuda fibreglass doors with the small diameter steel tube frames for the lexan windows with the stock OEM Mopar steel hinges don't weigh 15.0 bs each boogie

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 05:40 PM

Casey runs NSS. One piece front end are not allowed.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Whompin_Wedge
I am sure this topic has been beat to death...

But does anyone know the approximate weight difference between fiberglass and steel fenders? It's for a 65 coronet, but really just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thank you,
Casey FJ

Depends on the parts. The Coronet fenders are not super heavy by themselves and some glass parts are pretty heavy depending on who laid them up. You might be able to save 5 to 10 lbs per fender depending on which parts you use. Most fiberglass fenders fit like crap so if you want the car to look nice you'll spend a lot of time and money at the body shop.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 06:17 PM

Correct no 1 piece allowed for me.

That’s exactly what I needed to know guys. Thank you. I am getting aluminum brackets for the fiberglass bumpers and will look at other options for weight savings.

Casey FJ
Posted By: Sammy

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 08:04 PM

Trunk lid is super heavy.
I'd swap that out first with a fiberglass piece.
Best money sent. Fenders are worth the cost vs. Weight.

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 08:06 PM

AAR Fiberglass makes front fenders for a 65 Dodge. $450 each plus shipping. Like I said, I saved 30lbs on the front fenders for my Road Runner.

Attached picture BB1B7E9C-0840-4C1B-A099-B8C9FFE9B747.png

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/28/20 08:09 PM

Front fenders from AAR, as are the bumpers. Aluminum brackets are from Lingenfelter Brackets.

Attached picture E6E73313-1474-430C-AD45-199D821A47C5.jpeg
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/29/20 02:23 PM

the deck lid is where you can get some real savings - doors are another - Jeff's bumper brackets are real good for a few pounds - you can always let Russ show you what you can do with a hole saw and a cut-off wheel
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/29/20 03:05 PM

450 beans EACH ... where were you apimp Back a while ago ?

WHAT do those fenders weigh each ?
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/30/20 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleD
the deck lid is where you can get some real savings - doors are another - Jeff's bumper brackets are real good for a few pounds - you can always let Russ show you what you can do with a hole saw and a cut-off wheel

Have hole saw will travel ======= sawzall
Posted By: jcc

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/30/20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
AAR Fiberglass makes front fenders for a 65 Dodge. $450 each plus shipping. Like I said, I saved 30lbs on the front fenders for my Road Runner.

FWIW, I spoke with AAR on Fri regarding Dart fenders, they will not do CF, and they don't stock fenders, they don't know or are not willing to share the weight of their FG fenders, and they do not make a race weight FG fender. bawling
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 08/30/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

FWIW, I spoke with AAR on Fri regarding Dart fenders, they will not do CF, and they don't stock fenders, they don't know or are not willing to share the weight of their FG fenders, and they do not make a race weight FG fender. bawling

Oh my gooooness .... for a liberal arts major to comment LIKE THIS .... eek

AAR is a little bizarreO !

I’ll HOLD MY TONGUE unless invited to comment further ... smoke

REimagine THAT ... from the ole Doc ! penguin
Posted By: poppaj

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 09/01/20 03:56 AM

I don’t want you to put an eye out!
Posted By: dvw

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 09/01/20 01:43 PM

Lexan and no regulators. Side windows, a little door trimming and back window saved 88lbs. Still have the glass windshield. Aluminum drive shaft helps. Stock rear trunk lid is close to 55lbs.
Doug
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: 65 Coronet - Fiberglass fenders vs. Steel - 09/01/20 02:28 PM

W/r/t weight saving per dollar spent:
Remember to add in the extra 3 days of prep your body guy needs to make the fenders fit, some I've seen look like they were wrung out like a washcloth.
I spoke to a body guy about how to make them straight permanently. I said if you can clamp them into good position, you can glass a strut inside from wood or conduit. He said ".......... what?".

Remember the shipping/insurance rule:
If the box is good and the contents are bad: it's the shipper's fault.
If the box is bad: it's the carrier's fault.
© 2024 Moparts Forums