Moparts

New best this weekend!

Posted By: GY3

New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 08:01 PM

Yeah it's just a little improvement but we keep chipping away!

10.39 @ 130!

DA was 3500, temp 90° and traction negligible. She only did a 1.53 due to all the street tired cars pulling up the prep and rubber.

Overall it was lots of fun with zero issues!

Attached picture bridge1.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 08:15 PM

beer

That's really a great picture there too!

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
beer

That's really a great picture there too!

Thanks, Rich!

It's one I shot of it in the parking lot when I drove it to work.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 09:24 PM

Congrats! You had good air compared to us!
Posted By: tex013

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 09:28 PM

nice

Tex
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 09:58 PM

Nice street car !
Posted By: mkdart

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 10:09 PM

Way cool drive to work car!!!
Posted By: topside

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/24/20 11:40 PM

Love it !
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 12:48 AM

Congratulations! Very cool.

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by mkdart
Way cool drive to work car!!!

Thanks!

It's mild enough on the street that it gets driven everywhere! We've put over 7,000 miles on it since 2016.
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 02:04 AM

Crazy fast Mark!!! bow Congrats - car has come a long way!!

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by B Dartman
Crazy fast Mark!!! bow Congrats - car has come a long way!!

Thanks, Bill!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 12:19 PM

Very nice! That thing will really be moving on a nice prepped surface.

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Very nice! That thing will really be moving on a nice prepped surface.

My goal for this year with this particular setup and tune was 10.20's. Hopefully Fall weather and some prep gets me there.
Posted By: moparx

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 05:03 PM

i just LOVE those cars, and when they run like yours, it's just that much better ! boogie
congrats ! up
beer
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 05:08 PM

Congrats on the new best!

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/25/20 06:25 PM

Thanks, guys, I am having a lot of fun with it!

I learned 95% of everything I implemented in this build from the guys here on Moparts.

I built the entire powertrain myself (other than axle ends and setting up the Dana 60 gears) so it has been a very rewarding project.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/26/20 12:21 PM

Some food for thought and just my opinion...don't try to go too much faster w/ a heavy car. It gets way more expensive and less fun. It has it's fun times, like when everything goes good at the track, but I think I had more fun w/ the car running mid to low 10s. It was all motor then too, which was a lot less work and aggravation.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/26/20 12:58 PM

Congrats on the new best. Man, that red interior really pops! up

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/26/20 12:59 PM

Some food for thought and just my opinion...don't try to go too much faster w/ a heavy car. It gets way more expensive and less fun. It has it's fun times, like when everything goes good at the track, but I think I had more fun w/ the car running mid to low 10s. It was all motor then too, which was a lot less work and aggravation.

No plans to push it too much further. Would like to do a 9.99 once, but the stars would have to align.

it will absolutely not get cut up or lightened up any further!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/26/20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

No plans to push it too much further. Would like to do a 9.99 once, but the stars would have to align.

Just a little more nitrous........
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/26/20 01:41 PM

Bottle bottle bottle!!! laugh2 Nice pass with a full figured gal!

Re: New best this weekend! - 08/26/20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Originally Posted by GY3

...and an aftermarket block, and better heads... ozbbq

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Originally Posted by GY3

...and an aftermarket block, and better heads... ozbbq

I have been 9 teens and 9.20's pretty regularly with a 446 (stock block and crank) indy 440-1s with two stacked plates, @ 3400lbs .......IT can be done LOL
i had a 440 with ported 906's and a .509 cam , went 10.40's with that (STOCK ROCKERS) LOL

Posted By: dvw

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 12:40 AM

Quick and it gets lots of use. Win Win.
Doug
Posted By: BSB67

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 01:36 AM

Very nice. Congrats!

Love the pic too.

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 05:15 AM

n2omstr, I only recently started playing with nitrous and I'm taking baby steps with it.

I wanted to do it right and studied up on it thoroughly prior to pulling the trigger. I just recently installed a bottle heater and have the pressure switch adjusted to keep it exactly where I want it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 05:35 AM

Not trying to hijack this thread but hearing about bottle pressures on NOS system a lot, how important is that?
Doesn't it need a certain amount of pressure to keep it in liquid form? Doesn't it turn into gas without that pressure?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Not trying to hijack this thread but hearing about bottle pressures on NOS system a lot, how important is that?
Doesn't it need a certain amount of pressure to keep it in liquid form? Doesn't it turn into gas without that pressure?

I am not a nitrous expert by any means but more pressure obviously equals more nitrous. You want to be consistent because that is a variable in your tune up. I once broke the spring perches, driveshaft, and sprag because I tried to make a run with a hot bottle knowing it would make my junk faster because it was a little rich lol.

I don't play with nitrous anymore haha.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 12:03 PM

Nice!

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Very important!

Right around 1000 psi or 91*-92* bottle temp is optimum.

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
n2omstr, I only recently started playing with nitrous and I'm taking baby steps with it.

I wanted to do it right and studied up on it thoroughly prior to pulling the trigger. I just recently installed a bottle heater and have the pressure switch adjusted to keep it exactly where I want it.

Let it rip ..... lol
Don’t know what heads you have . Just be careful with timing . Most BBM heads are now t nitrous friendly . And your cam probably not tailored for opening exh early to get the heat out . But what your using is not a lot . You doing
Great , baby steps ..... just hurry up and get it in the 9’s .
And I bet that won’t be enough for you .... lmao
We all say X but always want more !
Happy ET hunting !

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
Originally Posted by GY3

Let it rip ..... lol
Don’t know what heads you have . Just be careful with timing . Most BBM heads are now t nitrous friendly . And your cam probably not tailored for opening exh early to get the heat out . But what your using is not a lot . You doing
Great , baby steps ..... just hurry up and get it in the 9’s .
And I bet that won’t be enough for you .... lmao
We all say X but always want more !
Happy ET hunting !

I'm using a Nitrous Express Mainline kit and the next step up, 250hp, is pretty much the limit of the tiny solenoids. As I recall the nitrous jet for that is like a 137, so no jet at all, just straight through. LOL!

We built a custom china rail hold down for the solenoids and make it semi hidden and look a little cleaner.

Attached picture Screenshot_20200902-085106.png

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 03:52 PM

What heads are you using on that engine ?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 03:59 PM

I’d get rid of that plastic oil line for the pressure gauge.

Modern Cylinder Head ported Stealths.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Nice!!

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Best upgrade you can make , put a -6 feed line , get a larger orifice nitrous solenoid . Whatever you can do to feed the jet you will pick up . Even at the same jet .

Also I noticed you have grounds separate , I would have both solenoid grounds together

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Best upgrade you can make , put a -6 feed line , get a larger orifice nitrous solenoid . Whatever you can do to feed the jet you will pick up . Even at the same jet .

Also I noticed you have grounds separate , I would have both solenoid grounds together

Hmm, good to know. Will only take a minute to change.

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61

Yes, that was supposed to be temporary but here we are a few years later... shruggy

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Yes, that was supposed to be temporary but here we are a few years later... shruggy

If you do change it out, let me know if you notice any difference in gauge operation
(as I have always noticed a difference and it freaks me out).

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

If you do change it out, let me know if you notice any difference in gauge operation

Put a -4 line to your gauge, and watch the response !

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

let me re phrase this....
At this point, i would say the best upgrade you could make is to a "flowed" plate Either Induction Solutions Holey Moley or NX RNC billet crossbar. Both plates are very similar. I use the NX plate, but had it flowed. The Holey Moley is a bad A$$ plate and would probably be best thing , as it comes flowed . Both plates are a substantial investment, BUT they are perfect to grow into and you would be way ahead on the tech help that comes with it. Also i am guessing you have no progressive?? eventually your going to hit that wall that it simply doesnt work any more and more HP will just make it harder to hook the car.
Lots of options....but like i said, we all just want that little bit more LOL

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

At this point, i would say the best upgrade you could make is to a "flowed" plate Either Induction Solutions Holey Moley or NX RNC billet crossbar. Both plates are very similar. I use the NX plate, but had it flowed. The Holey Moley is a bad A$$ plate and would probably be best thing , as it comes flowed . Both plates are a substantial investment, BUT they are perfect to grow into and you would be way ahead on the tech help that comes with it. Also i am guessing you have no progressive?? eventually your going to hit that wall that it simply doesnt work any more and more HP will just make it harder to hook the car.
Lots of options....but like i said, we all just want that little bit more LOL

No progressive...yet...but it is on the list.

I follow Steve Johnsons Nitrous Tech page on Facebook and have been contemplating the Holey Moley.

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Put a -4 line to your gauge, and watch the response !

Quicker than copper hard line/response more like plastic?
If it is, I'll order one for sure.

And can anyone tell us why the line material would matter (it sure seems to, but I'm not bright enough to figure out why).

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 08:17 PM

Quicker than copper hard line/response more like plastic?
If it is, I'll order one for sure.

And can anyone tell us why the line material would matter (it sure seems to, but I'm not bright enough to figure out why). [/quote]

THE Plastic line is just a hazard, in a fire it will burn and leak oil, just fragile
THe only reason a large line responds better is just that, the pressure change responds quicker because of the larger line, thats all. Its not the material , its the size

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 08:23 PM

Lots of options....but like i said, we all just want that little bit more LOL [/quote]

No progressive...yet...but it is on the list.

I follow Steve Johnsons Nitrous Tech page on Facebook and have been contemplating the Holey Moley. [/quote]

Best thing you will ever do ! ! ! Plus he has a pretty good controller also. Make sure you get a controller that will progress your solenoids seperately, (the Edelbrock wont do this) this way you can add fuel and cover early lean spikes. It will make a huge difference, maybe not with small tunes, but bigger tunes it really helps.

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 09:14 PM

Thank you. Will check the ID of copper hard line someday to compare. Makes sense, it's probably smaller than plastic.

I have not used plastic in years, but when I switched to copper I didn't like how the gauge reacted.

Thanks for tolerating yet another hijack, Mark. Have I told you lately you are the man?

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/02/20 11:29 PM

Thank you. Will check the ID of copper hard line someday to compare. Makes sense, it's probably smaller than plastic.

I have not used plastic in years, but when I switched to copper I didn't like how the gauge reacted.

Thanks for tolerating yet another hijack, Mark. Have I told you lately you are the man?

LOL! I'm learning about that too, Rich! grin

I had a plastic line split right after an engine build years ago and hose down a header. Definitely needs attention on this car.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/03/20 01:39 AM

I was told by NHRA tech years ago that they didn't, won't, allow plastic pressures lines on oil or fuel gauges.
I have used a 1/4 inch I.D. oil pressure line and it does make a large difference on the oil pressure gauge responding time up, NHRA made me change that back to the smaller 1/8 inch tubing also rant
Their thinking was if it broke during a run it would put a lot more oil on the track during a run shruggy
Posted By: moparx

Re: New best this weekend! - 09/03/20 05:11 PM

what about a -3 braided line ? isn't that 3/16", halfway between the 1/8 and 1/4" copper ?
that should be quicker reacting for the gauge than 1/8, and not much slower than the 1/4".
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums