Moparts

CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS??

Posted By: 69B3GT

CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 07:57 AM

So lets have everyone list some cheap speed parts they have used over the years...would 340 manifolds on a 273 help pick it up? if so i think that could be something worth doing. So lets hear em!
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 12:49 PM

If you've asked this before, you're probably sick of hearing
this but.....$150 junkyard 360

I get the...."stroker crank/put a BB in it" cracks too.

I'm sure there's something cheap you can do to a 273 but,
can't think of money better spent than on a running 360.

Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 01:09 PM

A 440 would be the cheapest way to get more power.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 01:52 PM

Yes a set of 340/360 manifolds will flow more with a nice set of 2 1/2" dynomax super turbo duals cross over and x pipe.
But headers are real cheap?? or do you have the manifolds?
I'm a bb guy but My first car was a 64 273 valiant in 1968 so I have an affection for the 273.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 05:01 PM

340 manifolds are not cheap. Unless you already own them.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 05:16 PM

The cheapest speed thing I've done was putting a
good set of adjustable shocks on and dialing in the
chassis.... I've picked up more than .5 just in the
chassis
Posted By: cudabin

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 05:27 PM

A set of 3.91 or 4.10 gears would wake thar car up!!!

Next thing would be a 10" torque convertor if it is an automatic.

Get a Thermoquad off a BB from the wreckers and rebuild it yourself.

After that it gets expensive,,,

Good luck,

Arnie
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 05:28 PM

Quote:

If you've asked this before, you're probably sick of hearing
this but.....$150 junkyard 360

I get the...."stroker crank/put a BB in it" cracks too.

I'm sure there's something cheap you can do to a 273 but,
can't think of money better spent than on a running 360.

Posted By: ahy

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 06:08 PM

How about a really good tune up. Clean, check and lubricate the distributor, rebuild carb and get the timing curve and jetting dialed in.

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 06:52 PM

Well i didnt mean just for the 273, i meant small things that have been done over the years to help a car out just a little. And my moms car has 340 manifolds on it and they are going to headers soon so ill probally toss those on the 273, as for carb and intake i had an LD340 layin around and my buddy is letting me borrow his 650 demon....yeah i know its too big but it runs better than the 2bbl ever could. The car is on a pretty decent tune. timing is 8*BTDC and it has new points, plug wires, superstock coil...all stuff we had in the garage. As for going the 360 route my dad donated a virgin 71 340 block,crank,J heads,pistons,rods,main caps, and some other stuff, but it needs to be completely rebuilt so itll have to wait.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 08:18 PM

On a 300hp 360 crate motor the 340 manifolds only made about 5 more hp than the 273 manifolds so I think you will not notice the differance. You could sell the 340 manifolds and get almost enough money for TTIs that made like 25 hp more than the 340 manifolds.

One of my favorite cheap upgrades is a JY thermo-quad in place of a 2bbl, or even in place of a small 4bbl.

Thin head gaskets are a good one. MOost replacements are .040 - .060 thick and investing in steel shim gaskets for a BB or the now discontinued mpoar .028 gaskets for a SB can bump compression a nice bit.

For small blocks I love the change from putting magnums on in place of any other factory head.

High ratio rockers always work good for me on mild cam motors. You can get them for a couple hundred bucks and a pair of valve cover gaskets are all thats required to put them on.

A mopar, or similar electronic ign up grade or even a piece it together your self electronic, works great over points.

For the 904 guys the low gear sets from the mid 80s and later low gear ratios work great, especially on a milder motor.

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 08:20 PM

As for your car, you could sell the 340 and buy a low mile 360 magnum and a rpm air gap intake with the money and make some real nice street power. Trust me you would be very impressed
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 08:28 PM

Old days old ways- Better intake manifold, hotter cam/lifters and headers w/dual exhaust. Hyd cam and lifters are avail new for a great price. Intakes used are all over. Headers for an early A body may not be cheap. But use your 340 manifolds with a good dual exhaust.
Posted By: hemisurfer

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 08:45 PM

N20 - Cheap, tunable, go fast, scatter parts . Now your racing.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 09:01 PM

the .028 SB head gaskets are available again..

P4120094 or MR Gasket 1121

same gasket..

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 09:28 PM

Quote:

haha ill stay away from N20, i was raised with the thought that thats for people who cant build motors, no offense i just dont believe in it. The 340 manifolds that we have are off a 73? i think ill look when we pull the car out later, Maybe ill talk to my dad about selling the 340 and getting a 360 magnum, how much more would parts be and how much power can those motors make?

Cmon now almost 600 views and barely anyone has suggestions....im open to anything, and yes ive thought about throwing a big block in it but i just think it would bee too nose heavy
Posted By: gch

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 10:09 PM

I don't know about small blocks but I would try more than 8* initial timing.Get that up as high as you can without hot starting issues.Limit the mechanical advance accordingly.OR just buy the mp elec conversion kit and let her rip.
Basic stuff here.Good tuneup,better flowing intake and exhaust.Then you get into rocker arms and camshafts.
Not really cheap but find a chassis dyno and tune it at part and wide open throttle so you can monitor A/F ratio.
Posted By: racerAL

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 10:38 PM

haha ill stay away from N20, i was raised with the thought that thats for people who cant build motors, no offense i just dont believe in it....who ever raised u obviously hasn't seen any PRO MOD or 10.5 shootout racing..those guys run TONS on NOS and I'm sure they can build engines..nitrous when used properly can be an inexpensive way to make power.. ..with the options u have i say there is no replacement for displacement...use the biggest engine at your disposal...and get as much comp. as you can.(i.e. mill heads/deck block).u seem to have a good enough collection of parts to make yourself a nice little hot rod.. good luck...........Al

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 10:55 PM

Well not using N20 is a personal choice, nobody in my family has used it and there have been some fast cars and still are some fast ones. Ive toyed with the thought of it but ill just build some fire breathing monster and try to tear up my buddies aluminum headed small block chevy on a 150 shot....ill just set up the suspension and everything since he is on stock suspension and a stock convertor....ill just have to beat him at the line and not look back
Posted By: emarine01

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 11:23 PM

Cheep speed parts ,You can allways go chevy
Posted By: wldtm

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/29/09 11:55 PM

well when i was 17 just few years ago i put a sniper kit on my very mild/stock 360. with the 150 shot it went from 13.9's to 12.35. A wise man once said "it makes the cripple get up and walk"

On another note...probably gears with sticky street tires. there are tons of things that come in to play. whats the combo???

jm
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/29/09 11:56 PM

Posted By: rtstreet

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 12:08 AM

hot rod motor 5,000.00
junk 360 and spray less than 1,000 = winner
just pulling your chain, but used tires good investment

Attached picture 5128081-summit009small.JPG
Posted By: rockerbob

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 12:18 AM

So about how much of a increase in compression would these .028 gaskets be worth on a 69 318 block with 71 360 heads. I think i'm around 8.0 to 8.2. Is it worth the trouble? Thanks By the way the car runs great !!!! and is very consistant, so I dont want to screw with it for little or no gain.

Attached picture 5128105-Bobbracketfinals2008.jpg
Posted By: hemisurfer

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 12:19 AM

N2O with a set of headers, fuel system, and some carb and timing tweaks will yield tons of HP per dollar spent. Chemical supercharging. I agree not my choice either but you said "cheap"

Expensive? How about alcohol injected, supercharged, tube chassis, four link, fabricated rear housing, glass doors trunk and hood, plexi windows and a lenco.

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 12:24 AM

You are asking for more than just motor combos.
Cut rolling resistance. This means a good front end aligned properly. Make sure the brakes aren't dragging, but will still stop.
ETs are power vs weight. Cut out weight wherever you can.
http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/1968_dodge_dart_wheels/index.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/mopp_0609_1975_dodge_dart_sport/index.html

I couldn't find the one where they lightened up a later dart.

Get the engine to breathe. open up the intake and exhaust. Don't go too much, everything must work together.

A converter and gears will raise the RPM the engine works at, giving you more HP at a given vehicle speed. It will decrease MPG and limit top speed.
Posted By: cgall

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 12:51 AM

When I was 18 I found a 1" spacer for an Autolite 2-bbl carb (same flange as Holley) and bolted it to a stock iron intake by drilling 4 holes and using socket head cap screws. It didn't line up real well, so I took a grinder to the intake and laid waste to it. I got a 500 CFM Holley 2-bbl from a roundy-round racer, that hilljack setup was worth about .3 in ET over the stock 2-bbl.

Also a cheapo recurve kit for your distributor, use the lightest pair of springs and ditch the vacuum advance.

Take those J heads that you have and have them milled about .040, spend a weekend with some burrs and sandpaper rolls and clean up all the ports.

Get the cheapest set of $150 1-5/8 headers you can find, buy new and pull them off and repaint with VHT every spring.

Discard every unneccessary piece of street equipment, heater box, radio, horn, back seat, carpet, everything in the trunk. Then get underneath your car with a can of stripper, scrapers, screwdrivers, and steel wool. We took 30 lbs. of undercoating and dirt off of a guy's car once.

That should keep you busy for a few weeks, I'll try to think of a few more.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 12:59 AM

Many years ago, some guy named McCandless told me the best way to go faster was take weight out of the car. His words were something like "It don't break, it don't wear out and you don't have to work on it" Has been good advice for me.
Posted By: StrokerPost

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 01:53 AM

Quote:

Cmon now almost 600 views and barely anyone has suggestions....im open to anything, and yes ive thought about throwing a big block in it but i just think it would bee too nose heavy

Here are a couple of proven go quicker things you can do for next to zero $$$, if you have some basic fab skills. I've posted these before with the results, but I'll do it again for you. First is a fresh air set up. You can do it diff ways, I first made a ram air set up where I attached some round, flexable dryer ducting to an empty air cleaner and ran it down to attach to the bottom of the bumper. This was worth about a tenth and a half over a paper element in a 14" air cleaner assy. I ditched that in favor of a sealed air pan (pic). This was about 28 hun better than the paper filter deal. When made the pan I wanted to test it against the filter AND then against the ram air on the same day in back to back tests. This was the results. This was with my old 360 motor. First pass with paper filter set up was 11.55. Took that stuff off and put the ram air set up on it for pass 2. It went 11.41. took that off and put on the air pan, sealed to hood scoop and it went 11.27. In all of this I spent less than $15. The next "trick" is in next reply.

Attached picture 5128429-pan2.jpg

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 01:57 AM

Here is another thing I tried that cost about 1$. Its an air pan, or air deflector pan that goes from the lower leading edge of the bumper rearward to the K frame, in this case an LRT tubular K. In back to back runs it was worth 4 hun and 1 mph.

Attached picture 5128439-Dartpics071a.jpg
Posted By: Ari440

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 02:02 AM

a stop sign as an airbox to seal to the sixpack hood

no money needed to do this 11.00s to 10.85 when I had the 440

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 02:07 AM

Quote:

Well not using N20 is a personal choice, nobody in my family has used it and there have been some fast cars and still are some fast ones. Ive toyed with the thought of it but ill just build some fire breathing monster and try to tear up my buddies aluminum headed small block chevy on a 150 shot....ill just set up the suspension and everything since he is on stock suspension and a stock convertor....ill just have to beat him at the line and not look back

There's 2 ways to build a car.... lots of HP or
make it light.... I've always believed in the latter
because you can go quick and be easier on parts
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 02:26 AM

Quote:

same gasket..

thanks. i just ordered a set. i'll change out those fel pro 1008's (.039-.042" thick) sometime and give these a shot
Posted By: ccdave

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 03:04 AM

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 03:27 AM

The mr gaskets have a lot bigger bore than the mopar performance ones did or the fel pro 1008 so no significant compression gain from the mr gasket. If however you went from the 1008 to the mopar you could gain around 1/2 point depending on the rest of the combo.

My problem with nitrous has always been that I can't refill it for $2 gal at the gas pump.
Posted By: whiskeyrunner

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 03:39 AM

if you put some stickers on the car...thats always worth hp too. some stickers are worth up to 50 hp
Posted By: plumridiculous

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 04:02 AM

Your car can't go fast with out a catchy name and it's free
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

same gasket..

thanks. i just ordered a set. i'll change out those fel pro 1008's (.039-.042" thick) sometime and give these a shot

I ordered both at the same time...mr gasket from summit...the 4120094 from Monicatti Dodge...

believe me they are the same gasket, just different package.

the new p41230094 are no longer red like the old ones...must be a new vendor...they are a blueish color.

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 04:29 AM

See the air cleaner set ups and the air dam under the car are things im talking about, those are cool and they dont take more then a few bucks and some genius designs, ive thought about those but i cant find a cheap hemi scoop so itll have to wait. So on the air cleaner set ups do you just measure out the bottom of your hood where the scoop is then make a pan and use foam to seal it?

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 08:23 AM

Quote:

See the air cleaner set ups and the air dam under the car are things im talking about, those are cool and they dont take more then a few bucks and some genius designs, ive thought about those but i cant find a cheap hemi scoop so itll have to wait. So on the air cleaner set ups do you just measure out the bottom of your hood where the scoop is then make a pan and use foam to seal it?

Basically yeah. here is a pic of the pan on the motor and the whole in the hood just above. I use a bolt on Harwood areo scoop, the smallest they had.

Attached picture 5128937-scoopseal2.jpg
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 11:17 AM

One ov the cheapest, bestest-ever things you can buy for your rod is a die-grinder. Learn to port heads. Hell, learn to port. Lots ov info here on how to do it right. From messin' with deflashing to full-out head porting, polishing chambers, porting manifolds, port-matching, porting exhaust manifolds (tho' i strongly recommend headers), lightening up a block, stress-relieving, polishing rods, etc. SOOOO many things you can do to make that thing faster with a die-grinder.

I'm a firm believer in weight reduction. It helps everything, generally makes the car more efficient as well, handling, braking, etc.

Mandrel bent exhaust is easy to build and cheap if you know where to find cheap pipe. Swap meets have cheap dented up Flowmasters or better. Headers aren't hard to find used, or can be cheap new (i dont mean cheap crap, avoid that stuff). There is absolutely NO reason why you can replicate that fancy $500 aftermarket system for far less yourself if you can weld. Hell, i've got a veritable pile ov used diesel truck exhausts ready to cut up for my 3" mandrel X-pipe Newport exhaust. The whole deal will be around $100 done, manifolds back. Or $100 from headers to tips if i can make those Hedman shorties fit (they were free...Hah!). Exhaust is a good thing in SOOOOOOOOO many ways.

Used tires. Ask twenty people who know tires and cars what the biggest tire possible is you can fit on your buggy and then go two sizes wider. Buy cheap, used Mustang 17 or 18" rims and some spacers so you can find used 275's, 285's and 295's, even 315's without spending a lot. Used drag radials are easier to find in 17" sizes and the normal Z-rated tires are stickier than your 295/50/15's guaranteed. Not to mention that 17" tires will instantly make your car handle like its 20 years newer without changing anything else. For pure drag racing i see cheap used slicks everywhere.

Learn to tune, like really tune. Tuning can be as cheap as the price ov gas. Its amazing how many hot rodders are ripping around with the wrong jets in the carb or the wrong curve in the distributor.

If you've got something actually worth money, that you can live without (say those year-correct 15x7 rally's that your car DIDN'T come with), sell it and buy some used aluminum heads from Moparts ads or E-bay. Probably the best speed deal out there... used aluminum heads. They pop up infrequently. Sell something you can get back later.

Dont be afraid (or peer-pressured) into sticking with Mopar stuff when other parts are handy and cheaper. Gotta toss that 7 1/4"" rear? Put an 8.8 Mustang diff in there, its already got a posi and rear discs, and cheeeaaap. How about some neat import bucket seats? They look better, recline and weigh a lot less than Mopar stuff. SBC water pumps (??? i heard that somewhere, lots ov aftermarket ???). So many options...

Want some REEAALLLY cheap speed? It'll cost you a bunch ov mickey-mouse fabrication and a lot ov reading and internet searches, but how about a junkyard turbo set-up? They're getting easier to find out there now that cars are bigger and faster than they were for years, lots ov turbos out there. People have rigged systems up for peanuts making stupid power.

I am the warrior ov the wasteland and the emperor ov cheap. I could go on forever...
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 12:10 PM

Try clamping the rear leaf springs in the forward section. Some heavy duty flat bar, some drill bits and off you go. Buying the bolts is the most expensive part.

Then I second weight reduction. The cheapest horsepower is the horsepower you do not need. I do not know about A Bodies but the weight of a B-Body heater box is impressive, plus it cleans up the engine room getting rid of the hoses etc. not only do you eliminate the weight of the box you also eliminate the weight of the entrained water. You can always put it back in for the winter if it is a year round driver(I did not notice where you live). Remove the spare and jack when you are at the track

Take the back seat out when you go to the track. You're racing,not going on a date.

A swap meet aluminum intake manifold will probably flow better and certainly weigh less than the stock intake manifold. The small block guys will have to chime in on what to get or more importantly, what to avoid.

Keep tuning on the thing. Have you made sure the rotor is in phase? DRAM told me how to do that and the car definitely runs smoother. Really play with the timing in terms of the balance between initial and full. Confirm that the timing marks are correct, that TDC really is TDC.

After you have put the home made headers on that someone suggested, try dropping the exhaust and using collector extensions at the track. Just a piece of straight pipe (start with 24" long, it is easier to make them shorter) and some flanges. I had a shop here make me up a set for not much coin. I think the homemade header/exhaust is a great idea. You will learn welding skills and being able to route the headers exactly as you want them will be a great benefit.

Make sure the whole approach is balanced, which just requires brain power. Simple example, 2.25" headers on a 273 with a 1 bbl carb would be an example of an unbalanced combination. Thinking through what you want the engine to do will help you make decisions in terms of what to get and what to pass on.

Did I mention weight reductions?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 01:11 PM

Posted By: 340B5

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 03:57 PM

Noticed you still have points. I had a 69 Dart GT w/a 273. I used to set the Dwell to spec. at 1500 rpm to counter point float. The LD340 is too big for that engine, the LD4B is a better choice if you can find one. I've seen ideas on here I'm going to try myself. Great thread.

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 05:55 PM

See all of this stuff is awesome advice, the ld340 is the only thing i had avalible and it will get changed out when funds allow. Take out the backseat when i race? haha i plan on having it out 24/7...might go in for certain reasons but for the most part i wont need it. newer buckets is something i planned on since mine are shot. Ive thought about playing with a dye grinder but im afraid ill mess something up...maybe when i pull the motor ill play with it and see what happens. When i get a scoop ill definatly be making the air pan, and we have about 40ft of 2 1/2 stainless tubing in the garage so i should be able to conjure up something with that.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 07:04 PM

spending time on research is how i save dough. all it costs is time, and if you're patient, you not only learn a lot, but you find good deals, and tend to make the appropriate purchases the first time. research, research, research.
Posted By: Blown61

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 09:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

haha ill stay away from N20, i was raised with the thought that thats for people who cant build motors, no offense i just dont believe in it. The 340 manifolds that we have are off a 73? i think ill look when we pull the car out later, Maybe ill talk to my dad about selling the 340 and getting a 360 magnum, how much more would parts be and how much power can those motors make?

Wow talk about living in a cave.

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow talk about living in a cave.

Actually its under a rock...the cave was a little too high tech for me, thanks for the opinion
Posted By: Allan_G

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 10:11 PM

Quote:

if you put some stickers on the car...thats always worth hp too. some stickers are worth up to 50 hp

Actually, I was thinking chrome. I hear it's two tenths quicker in the quarter.
Posted By: Blown61

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/30/09 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I was thinking chrome. I hear it's two tenths quicker in the quarter.

A big ol naz sticker and monster tach
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/31/09 02:05 AM

someone here told me stickers make a car 60' better
Posted By: Von

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/31/09 02:37 AM

[quoteWow talk about living in a cave.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CHEAP SPEED PART SECRETS?? - 03/31/09 04:07 PM

I'd get it hittin' on all 8 RELIABLY first!

Get a cheapie smallblock electronic distributor (I see them for $5 at swap meets), take it apart, clean the weights and mechanism really well, order Mr. Gasket part #925-B quick advance springs ($11.00 at Autozone last I checked)and get a nylon collar for the bottom from Lowes (the factory ones are either broke or really brittle and ready to break) in the hardware section. Set your reluctor gap with a BRASS feeler gauge at 11 thou and you're ready to go.

The great thing is you can use it either with the chrome/factory ECU box or you can use it with an MSD 6AL box. I like to use the MSD because it has a rev limiter, cleans up the idle and can be bought and most any parts store.

There! Cheap, easy, will get you better dependability and can be used with future upgrades.
© 2024 Moparts Forums