Moparts

Low Band Apply V-body

Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Low Band Apply V-body - 08/01/20 08:37 PM

727,bracket car. 650hp 9.70s.
Is low band enough to protect front drum?
Or billet drum the next step?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/01/20 09:02 PM

I’d get a billet reguardless. Body parts are hard to replace.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/01/20 09:56 PM

I put a billet steel drum in mine. It wasn't all that much when I did it. But I seel the steel drum is $595 and billet aluminum is $475. Damn prices have increased.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/02/20 01:22 AM

I wouldn't run one with out a good drum, regardless what VB is in it. Just not worth it. It makes an awful mess when it breaks.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/02/20 01:34 AM

Ok ,reinforces what I already thought.
Considering pulling out the stick.
Having serious issues.
See what tomorrow holds.
Thanks for the opinions. 🤘
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/02/20 01:47 AM

If I'm remembering correctly every low ban apply VB out there for Mopar tranny are a little, not a lot tsk, slower than non low band apply valve bodies work scope
Stock front drums are a big no no in any Mopar 727 race tranny, especially with a trans brake tsk twocents
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/02/20 02:37 PM

The billet drum or the LBA valve body are simply backup safety systems if the low roller fails. Either one will work.

I can tell you that I have personally broken a low roller WITH a LBA valve body. The LBA valve body did exactly what it was supposed to, and kept the reverse drum locked up tight in 1st gear.

I actually finished racing the weekend, and only caught that the trans had an issue later that week when I was driving the car around on the street. It had a weird grinding noise that I thought was a planetary, but when I took the trans out I was very surprised to see the low roller in pieces!

I have since upgraded to a billet drum, but that was more because the 4 clutch stock drum wasn't surviving the heavy car/mega turbo torque that I was running. I needed the 5 clutch drum to help with that. But if you are at an honest 650hp 9.70 car, I'm guessing you are very light and wouldn't have that issue.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/02/20 03:25 PM

Definitely a billet drum and the low band apply valve body - My opinion - the best lba valve-body out there today is made by CRT -John Cope.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Low Band Apply V-body - 08/02/20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
I wouldn't run one with out a good drum, regardless what VB is in it. Just not worth it. It makes an awful mess when it breaks.

Drum failures have been reported even with a LBA VB.
© 2024 Moparts Forums