Moparts

Sticky REAL street radial

Posted By: Lee446

Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 02:16 AM

Gentlemen, I have a problem. Due to my imminent relocation to a more rural area, including having to drive a couple of miles on a county gravel road to get to the blacktop, my Hemi powered 'Cuda is going to become a road car and as such, Drag radials will not be an option. I am looking for the stickiest true road radial for a 17x9" wheel and I want a 27-28" tall tire and that cuts the field by a bunch, 26" just does not look right. About the closest I can find is the Nitto 555g that is rated at 200 treadwear in the 275-50-17. This is my wifes toy but with a touch over 700 hp, it is flat dangerous on the gas and at hiway speed if it downshifts to second, it gets real loose real quick. If anyone has a recommendation, I am all ears.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 03:18 AM

I had Nitto 555R on my Charger, not much better than a regular 50k mile street tire. I now have MT street R radials, they hook great but the Houston heat makes them prone to punctures from rocks or anything that is even slightly sharp .
Posted By: ksj

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 03:19 AM

What about Nitto 555R.

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by ksj
What about Nitto 555R.

Sorry thats what it was, forgot the R Same junk

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 03:39 AM

All of the Nitto competition tires in 17" are under 26" tall. I used to have good luck with M/T et streets but they quit making a 28" tall 17 " tire and I could not run them anyway, gravel roads are hard on all tires, but they are really hard on the soft drag radials.
Posted By: topside

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 04:13 AM

Problem with anything sticky on gravel is they pitch the small stones into the paint.
I have to creep one of my cars down the gravel, and those are a Cooper Extreme Summer handling tires.

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lee446
All of the Nitto competition tires in 17" are under 26" tall. I used to have good luck with M/T et streets but they quit making a 28" tall 17 " tire and I could not run them anyway, gravel roads are hard on all tires, but they are really hard on the soft drag radials.

M & H has some 28in x 17 Drag Radials

https://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Tires/M-H-Drag-Radials
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 11:46 AM

I would take a look at the M/T S/R radial. I believe there about as soft as you will find in a street tire. I had a racer over on B bodies tell me they are the same compound as the M/T street R radial which i use and they are super sticky at the track.

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 12:20 PM

Drag radials are out of the question. This will be more of a road/hiway car now, and I need a speed rated tire that is safe if it rains, Think Power Tour type driving. I realize that I am not going to find anything that will really hook up, but I am trying to find the best compromise street radial I can find. The biggest problem for me is that most of the modern size 17's are 35 maybe 40 aspect tires and are 25-26" tall. The M/T sr is not available in a 17" tire more than 8" wide, if they had a 275/50/17, I would buy it.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 01:57 PM

I have a set of these that are a huge improvement over the 'regular' tires I used to run. I have no idea how they compare to other 'ultra' tires but they are affordable to try. Probably too tall for you though:

https://www.atturo.com/tire/az800/6771
Posted By: second 70

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ksj
What about Nitto 555R.

They ride good but are useless on my hemi cuda. I got better traction from old polyglass tires.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 06:27 PM

We call them Shittos.
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 07:04 PM

Hmm...great experience with the Nitto 555Rs here. Mind you that's behind a decent 360 motor, 4K converter stall and 4.10 gear, so that does put a bit of beating on the tires. If I aim for it yes, of course I'll leave a set of tire marks on the pavement, but with that stall speed I found a good launch to be more about easing into the engine RPMs.

I suppose what works for me is that I'm running them at 20 psi, the tires being: 275-60R15s, so plenty of sidewall.

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 08:47 PM

I looked all over & it would seem the Nitto is about it, Goodyear has some 17's but they look like a light truck tire.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/28/20 09:16 PM

I have been experimenting with a set of Vitour Galaxy radials from eBay on my '68 GTS 383 4-speed car. They are cheap for testing and so far no issues. The problem with any sticky tire is that gravel won't know if it's a drag tire or not. No sticky, no traction. Big sticky, big rock chips. This is coming from a guy that has a loooooooooong gravel road to his house. If it was me I'd run a set of M&H DOT radials. They are best of both worlds IMO.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/29/20 07:06 PM

The problem with 17s.. is getting soft tread wear (such as 200) in a diameter that is a little tall (ie: 27-28"... doesn't exist). Simply, there aren't many sizes available in soft compound, such as 200.

Step up to 18s and there are many more sizes in soft compound, such as 200 TW.

Take a look over at the Tire Rack web site.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 07/31/20 10:41 PM

The MT Street S/S 305/45-17 looks right up your alley, though hooking up 700 HP on the street isn't gonna be easy. Edit-with a 9" wheel , it's a bit narrow, you should go for a 10" to get it done./edit
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 08/01/20 12:59 PM

Check the Mustang6G site in the GT500 section or other related sections to see how the Michelin PS4 compares. They come on on performance pack GT Mustangs. I have a. 19 GT with them and they are about as good as a 30,000 mile tire gets IMHO. But you have a lot more torque so asking the GT500 crowd might offer more info.
Posted By: gch

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 08/01/20 10:27 PM

If you step down to the 255/50/17 the Nitto Invo is out there as well as the Federal ss595 if you can still find it.Both are 260 treadwear and the federal is a bunch cheaper.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 08/02/20 02:10 AM

Gentlemen, I have a problem. Due to my imminent relocation to a more rural area, including having to drive a couple of miles on a county gravel road to get to the blacktop, my Hemi powered 'Cuda is going to become a road car and as such, Drag radials will not be an option. I am looking for the stickiest true road radial for a 17x9" wheel and I want a 27-28" tall tire and that cuts the field by a bunch, 26" just does not look right. About the closest I can find is the Nitto 555g that is rated at 200 treadwear in the 275-50-17. This is my wifes toy but with a touch over 700 hp, it is flat dangerous on the gas and at hiway speed if it downshifts to second, it gets real loose real quick. If anyone has a recommendation, I am all ears.

Sticky tires + gravel roads = not good for the paint.

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 08/03/20 05:22 PM

Not much I can do about gravel roads, back to the topic at hand. Thanks for the suggestions. The big problem is that most all of the Ultra HP tires are in big wheels. I have a Plum Crazy cuda with 17" chrome Foose Legends on it and they look great and my wife thinks they are perfect, and I built the car for her, so there it is. Personally, I think that 17's look great on our old muscle if you use a 45/ 50 series tire with sidewall. I could go up to 18 on the rear, but it still seems hard to find a 27" tall tire so it won't look like a forklift tire! The car will be more of a Touring type car now, but if I could find a closer to 200 ucg tire that would be fairly safe in the rain I would jump on it. The Nitto Invo's may be the best I can do! Thanks to all!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Sticky REAL street radial - 08/04/20 02:18 PM

We used the Nitto's on our endurance car...ehh they tended to get greasy when hot. We have also used Falken AZENIS, they are pretty good, but the best was Dunlop Direzza's. They are all 200 T/W but the later was the "stickyest". That all said we are racing 6-8 hours at a time taking 12-22 turns a lap.
© 2024 Moparts Forums