Posted By: tboomer

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 02:21 PM

Thanks Big D wave
Posted By: Clanton

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 02:34 PM

Ouch!Sorry to see that happen.
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 03:00 PM

Oh noooo...car can be fixed though, in the meantime you alright?
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 03:04 PM

not my car
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 03:42 PM

Loving that roll cage though, right?

Glad you're fine...Joe
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 03:49 PM

That pains me to see cry Saw that car at Roadkill Drags last year on Woodward ave..........

Attached picture Woodward 2019 028.jpg
Attached picture Woodward 2019 029.jpg
Attached picture Woodward 2019 030.jpg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 03:56 PM

Ouch! eek
Posted By: moparx

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 04:04 PM

as much as i just LOVE 62,63, and 64's, that is painful for me to see. frown
glad the driver is ok !
beer
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 04:27 PM

Sad, it was a beautiful car. I hope the driver is okay.

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 04:56 PM

smore

Attached picture wreckddd.jpg
Attached picture wreckedd.jpg

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 04:57 PM

… oo

Attached picture wreckdud.jpg

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 04:59 PM

ickk

Attached picture wrecka.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 05:21 PM

Car runs well into the 8's. it was a 600"+ Hemi. Crosswhite bros owned it, then Petco's in our area. I don't know if it had a diaper or not. I don't see a belly pan either. A shame
Doug
Posted By: second 70

Re: 64 roll over - 07/18/20 08:45 PM

Here's a couple pictures from last year. 636 Keith Black Hemi

Attached picture AA7D7E75-A7D0-4C3C-AADD-E7329869BDA1.jpg
Attached picture 8F3B7869-D927-4164-9070-EEF1E8D1245A.jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
Car runs well into the 8's. it was a 600"+ Hemi. Crosswhite bros owned it, then Petco's in our area. I don't know if it had a diaper or not. I don't see a belly pan either. A shame
Doug

No diaper= a wrecked car, and it took 4 hours to clean up the synthetic oil on the track.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 12:45 AM

Sorry to see the damage to such a nice car...

I am not a fast guy, but even my street car has a diaper, and it saved my ass.....And not a drop on the track out of 13 quarts...

Attached picture IMG959877.jpg
Attached picture IMG959880.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 02:53 AM

My favorite car, my first car (in 1968) and got one now. Must not have had a diaper. I don’t like those rear tires tucked up under there like that either, wonder if that caused stability problems even without the oil? Hope the cage is not bent might have to start from scratch again. Hope just a little body work and back out there.
Posted By: dvw

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 12:04 PM

Seen many engine come apart. Personally never seen an issue when there was a diaper or a belly pan being used. Usually no clean up and motor damage only. That's why mine also has a fire system as well. Cheap at $600.
Doug
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 12:32 PM

I put a diaper on my slow 10.70's car just for the reason. Always hope that I don't need it, or that it does it job when sh!t hits the fan. Did have a guy at our track last yr engine let go about 60ft out and he got in his oil and rolled it a few times. He didn't have a diaper, but did have a belly pan as it was a chassis car. It chucked a rod out the side. Not sure if the pan couldn't hold all the oil or if it just was one of those perfect storms where everything align perfectly to make a mess.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 01:07 PM

The steel bumper looks like it helped from collapsing the front end in.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 02:00 PM

Looks like it had a belly pan on it......things happen....the Crosswhites built a safe chassis that did it's job
Posted By: GY3

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 02:13 PM

Wow, that hurts to see it but at the end of the day it's just a car and the human walked away.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 64 roll over - 07/19/20 11:27 PM

I know we’re talking about the car but that engine won’t be cheap to build again. Car and engine at one time, big money, most would quit
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: 64 roll over - 07/20/20 11:08 AM

Looking at the 1st pic it sure looks like it has a belly pan. Not sure if it couldn't handle the amount of oil that came out, or if it was just one of those fluke things where the stars aligned perfectly to create a mess. Glad the driver is okay.
Posted By: SportF

Re: 64 roll over - 07/20/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

No diaper= a wrecked car, and it took 4 hours to clean up the synthetic oil on the track.

Diapers are ugly and a pain in the butt, right up until you need them. Diaper saved me, Indy, June '16
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 64 roll over - 07/21/20 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by DusterKid
Looking at the 1st pic it sure looks like it has a belly pan. Not sure if it couldn't handle the amount of oil that came out, or if it was just one of those fluke things where the stars aligned perfectly to create a mess. Glad the driver is okay.

iagree That car has a belly pan on it.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 64 roll over - 07/21/20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted by DusterKid

iagree That car has a belly pan on it.

A belly pan will never contain oil and parts as good as a diaper.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: 64 roll over - 07/22/20 10:44 PM

it was my old car, sad sight. the car had a belly pan. Looks like he still was using it. Its hard when you have oil lines, draglink, 2-3/4 primary tube headers, steering box, etc. to get a diaper up in it.

Attached picture 33F0C8EF-360E-4B5B-AEC4-85BF5AC7A676.jpeg
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: 64 roll over - 07/24/20 02:28 AM

Matt,these guys don't want to here that stuff. Its just excuses to them. I had an NHRA tech look under my car and asked him how to fit a diaper on my car. He came out from under there shaking his head saying " no way".

Re: 64 roll over - 07/24/20 02:36 AM

My Kevlar diaper is about 1/8-3/16 inches thick and can lay right on my headers and won’t burn. I think it was 275.00 bought from my local track.

Re: 64 roll over - 07/24/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
My Kevlar diaper is about 1/8-3/16 inches thick and can lay right on my headers and won’t burn. I think it was 275.00 bought from my local track.

All cars are different. I went back and looked at your posts, are you referring to the black duster in your photos? the one with what looks like a fabricated front K member? Most likely does not have drag link... Yea that car would be easy to put a universal diaper on. Apples to Oranges....

My intelligence may be questionable, but i have had a lot of other smart people help me out with that build, and it was pretty much universally accepted by all that there is no way on this side of hell that a diaper would fit. between the lowered motor, massive oil pan pump and lines, factory K frame and box, drag link through pan, massive headers, etc.

I know a few people have had diapers made with the drag link through the diaper, well there is a good chance that would not retain ALL of the oil either.

Also there could be other factors that didn't exactly help. The car had an accusump, so when the motor lost oil pressure it most likely pumped out few extra quarts under pressure. Never really thought of it until today, it is system to save a motor, could actually hurt you a little bit when the oil is no longer held to the confines of the engine itself.

If i had to speculate taking the 14x32's on 16" wheels off, and putting on what looks like 10.5 x 29's that hang 10 inches inside the car probably wasn't helping keep the shiny side up when things went bad.

Re: 64 roll over - 07/24/20 02:03 PM

Sad , at one point that car was slick and beautiful .. tire size / look , tall scoop did nothing for that car .. not to mention the graphics no

Re: 64 roll over - 07/24/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by HemiDart68

All cars are different. I went back and looked at your posts, are you referring to the black duster in your photos? the one with what looks like a fabricated front K member? Most likely does not have drag link... Yea that car would be easy to put a universal diaper on. Apples to Oranges....

My intelligence may be questionable, but i have had a lot of other smart people help me out with that build, and it was pretty much universally accepted by all that there is no way on this side of hell that a diaper would fit. between the lowered motor, massive oil pan pump and lines, factory K frame and box, drag link through pan, massive headers, etc.

I know a few people have had diapers made with the drag link through the diaper, well there is a good chance that would not retain ALL of the oil either.

Also there could be other factors that didn't exactly help. The car had an accusump, so when the motor lost oil pressure it most likely pumped out few extra quarts under pressure. Never really thought of it until today, it is system to save a motor, could actually hurt you a little bit when the oil is no longer held to the confines of the engine itself.

If i had to speculate taking the 14x32's on 16" wheels off, and putting on what looks like 10.5 x 29's that hang 10 inches inside the car probably wasn't helping keep the shiny side up when things went bad.

What I am saying is if you want or need a diaper bad enough it can happen. Although a small block we put one on my sons stock front suspension Duster with a milidon oil pan and Hedmen headers. Did we have to do some modifications??? Heck ya but we did it. As did many stick suspension big block cars. The NNS old school guys fight it big time and some don’t adhere to our track rules but most do. We have members on here that ordered custom diapers that fit great. It comes down to how bad do you want to protect your investment and the guy in the other lane. I rerouted two header tubes on my Duster.

Re: 64 roll over - 07/24/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by HemiDart68

What I am saying is if you want or need a diaper bad enough it can happen. Although a small block we put one on my sons stock front suspension Duster with a milidon oil pan and Hedmen headers. Did we have to do some modifications??? Heck ya but we did it. As did many stick suspension big block cars. The NNS old school guys fight it big time and some don’t adhere to our track rules but most do. We have members on here that ordered custom diapers that fit great. It comes down to how bad do you want to protect your investment and the guy in the other lane. I rerouted two header tubes on my Duster.

I get what your saying. I have seen some of the diapers that DRE has come up with. He does a pretty killer job. I looked at some of that when we put this car together. I wanted to go that route. I would have still ended up with a diaper with limited utility. I would have a big hole in it for the draglink and also would have to have pass throughs for the oil lines. Its a way of meeting the rules, but not as effective as truly dropping a closed bag under your motor that Will catch everything. As long as its a requirement to run factory suspension in NSS then this will be a problem. the NSS rules are based off of NHRA super stock rules. I know the NHRA has had discussions in the past of letting super stock cars go to a fab front end, but that opens up the debate on are they still truly a super-stock car and opens up cans of worms for all cars. but the mopar guys with the drag-link will always have this issue. This car minus the powertrain and rear axle location would be a legal SS car. Putting in a fab front end would kill the value and put it out of the class i would want to race it in. No matter what neither is a perfect solution.

We were trying when we built that car. safety was my priority. I updated the car to 25.5 even though speed did not require it. Most places i raced did not need a diaper at the time either. I wish it would have worked better. On my current car i did another belly pan. We made some changes with taller sides and actually made it part of the K-frame more or less so the K frame itself becomes part of the belly pan and hopefully directs oil the where it needs to go. I don't know what's better. This is like taking a baby diaper and cutting a hole where the kids butthole is. Effectiveness.....

© 2024 Moparts Forums