Moparts

How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle.

Posted By: Sammy

How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 03:36 PM

I just bought a iron mega block. Says 2004 date code.
Was going to be a 498ci.
How much can you throw at these BBs?
1st time with a BB.
Wanted a hemi but couldnt pass up this deal.
Posted By: markz528

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 03:57 PM

I don't know but I just finished a 2001 block that makes 1060 hp and I have zero concerns.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 04:41 PM

I wouldn't worry. I make 860 to 880 hp and spin mine to 7500 rpm no serious problems in 17 years.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 05:17 PM

How do you tell the date? Just picked up a Hemi block and haven’t seen a date

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 06:06 PM

I am looking to go Supercharger.
I'm not getting any younger so before I can't race anymore, I figure I'll spend the kids inheritence.
Looming for 2400 hp.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy
I'm not getting any younger so before I can't race anymore, I figure I'll spend the kids inheritence.
Looming for 2400 hp.

So you do need to ask!

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969

I don't know - I bought mine new in 2001 so I know it was 2001 vintage.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 06:32 PM

Pre-World are usually very difficult to tell the manufacturing date.

Even with the later World style, all we ever got was a machining date....Dalton wasn't required to stamp the blocks or
anything like that, so the casting date is a Mopar Mystery.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 06:48 PM

Supercharged and 2400hp?

You should be looking for a better block IMO.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 06:58 PM

Looming for 2400 hp.
I would think it would handle that.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Supercharged and 2400hp?

Like what?
I'm not too happy with the added weight up front but I was told that the cylinders don't move around like a aluminum block.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman
Looming for 2400 hp.
I would think it would handle that.

These are uncharted waters for me. Not sure what a good mopar performance mega block can handle.
Posted By: second 70

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 07:43 PM

I don't know for sure but my mega hemi block has 11 94 on top pad and 6K29 on side. So it could be Nov. 94 or might be a 1-19-2004 or neither. lol
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 07:53 PM

Have a nice day

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 08:42 PM

Those top fuel aluminum blocks handle 10,000 hp are they any good?
Posted By: GY3

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
Can't answer the question, but as I understand it the survival of a block depends in part on how the power is made.
Supposedly nitrous is the worst, followed by normally aspirated (high static CR, high RPM), then boosted.
I've heard (but not agree at this point) that twin screw (Whipple, Autorotor) is the roughest of the boost group, turbo the softest, but no actual results.
2400 sounds dangerous, but then I'm old.

At that power level I can't see aluminum as safe weight saving is erased by worries about water leaks, ring seal, inconsistent oil pressure, distortion. Those serious-but-budget LSX engines use factory iron blocks. My 183" Toyota L6 iron block is supposed to be safe at 1,500.

Why is nitrous "the worst"?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 08:50 PM

Those top fuel aluminum blocks handle 10,000 hp are they any good?

iagreeLook at all the big HP hemis running pro mod and every other class...all aluminum blocks.
The chevy LS guys are using aluminum blocks more and more too. One of the fastest stock block LS cars in the country is an aluminum 5.3 based build. I helped a friend with one he took to Lights Out at SGMP.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 09:16 PM

These are uncharted waters for me. Not sure what a good mopar performance mega block can handle. [/quote]
I don't think I would want to be the test mule and do R&D for your deal down tsk 2400 HP sounds like it is directly in the danger zone for standard cast grey iron
I have a new Koleno high nickel block that I want to use to build a N/A Top Sportsman motor that will make north of 1000 HP with a set of B1-MC and dual dominators on a tunnel ram, I'm thinking it is good to 1800+HP.
I have a new KB aluminum wedge block on order , Tim at FHO tells me it is good to 4000+HP work
Posted By: bigdad

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 09:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 09:33 PM

Supercharged and 2400hp?

Like what?
I'm not too happy with the added weight up front but I was told that the cylinders don't move around like a aluminum block.

See if you can get in contact with some top alcohol engine builders. They will know what will work and more importantly for how long.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/16/20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
Supercharged and 2400hp?

Like what?

See if you can get in contact with some top alcohol engine builders. They will know what will work and more importantly for how long.

And be sure to quiz them on the maintenance routine.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 12:53 AM

How to avoid being wrong: don't say anything

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 12:56 AM

More of my worst mistakes
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 01:34 PM

I would be looking to sell that block and upgrade to an aluminum block. So many wives tales exist about aluminum blocks still. Did the guy who told you the cylinder will move around also tell you that aluminum rods can only go 50 passes in a bracket motor too?

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
I would be looking to sell that block and upgrade to an aluminum block. So many wives tales exist about aluminum blocks still. Did the guy who told you the cylinder will move around also tell you that aluminum rods can only go 50 passes in a bracket motor too?

Al, this isnt my 1st rodeo. Been racing since the early 60's.
I'm going 8.30s in my little small block Dart.

I thought a good aftermarket iron block was supposed to be better and handle hp better than a aluminum block. i guess that information about cylinders moving around is a wives tale then? Then why do they say you make more hp with a iron block over aluminum?
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 07:17 PM

I thought a good aftermarket iron block was supposed to be better and handle hp better than a aluminum block. i guess that information about cylinders moving around is a wives tale then? Then why do they say you make more hp with a iron block over aluminum?

This kind of information is beyond the realm of most on here. Your looking to make over 2000 HP I would be calling Block Manf (Century ETC ) or someone like Best Machine, Steve Morris or Proline, ETC
I don't want to sound condescending or anything but your looking for info or experience with this much HP your not going to find it here, or your going to get a lot of opinions that really aren't accurate.
I know ,..... flame on ,...… LOL

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 07:33 PM

This kind of information is beyond the realm of most on here. Your looking to make over 2000 HP I would be calling Block Manf (Century ETC ) or someone like Best Machine, Steve Morris or Proline, ETC
I don't want to sound condescending or anything but your looking for info or experience with this much HP your not going to find it here, or your going to get a lot of opinions that really aren't accurate.
I know ,..... flame on ,...… LOL

I agree with that...... and would take it one step further.

Preferably you’d be looking to talk with a shop that has a known history of reliable success making 2000hp+ with Megablock based engines.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 07:55 PM

All i'm asking is hp rating of a mega block. Nothing more, nothing less. i can handle the rest.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 08:18 PM

There is no such rating. It is an improved version of a factory block. So, improvements are there to make it more resistant to mistakes in your tuning. I guarantee there are guys who will break these blocks with 500hp through mistakes in assembly or tuning. Does that mean that they should be rated at 500 hp?

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
[Linked Image]

What he said.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 09:07 PM

Supercharged and 2400hp?

Yea, that's in the KB arena, or Indy??
Posted By: Leigh

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/17/20 09:26 PM

Seems like a reasonable question. I don’t recall ever seeing any hp ratings on any of the Chrysler race blocks. Sounds like fun project!

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/18/20 12:47 AM

I had cap walk in my megablock(vintage 2000?) At just over 850 hp. That is why i suggested getting in touch with guys that have been down the road you want to travel. Life is a lot less painful when you build on the knowledge and success of others. I have a lot of scars to prove it😒

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/18/20 03:44 AM

Interesting, cap walk on cross bolted mains.
Posted By: Tig

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/18/20 10:18 AM

I got evidence of cap walk on a 6 bolt main KB block after a crank trigger went south blush Bearings were not happy either smirk Saw it a lot more on a Mega block 780ish HP 528.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/19/20 02:20 PM

An Iron block, and 2400hp,,,,

The biggest enemy of any block is tune up. A bad tune can break most anything.

I've personally never seen an aluminum water block take 2400 without serious cylinder wall movement. Maybe the new KB might, but it might not just as well, I haven't seen that. My own experience with older water KB (I think the best water block ever made for chrysler) is somewhere around 1800hp you start to lose cylinder seal. That doesn't mean you cant keep going, you just start to see the evidence that things are on the move. From there it takes a disproportionate amount of whatever your choice of power adder is to gain power. Everything is mostly linear before then. The KBs I have now, when pressed beyond 1800 at least return to normal below that. Meaning power is still consistent after going above 2000. Indy blocks have always lost, and lost the more you pound on them from my experience. I really hope the new KBs will be better, but even if they are the same, and no better, they'd be my choice for your intentions. Of course a billet of any make would have no issues in that range.

As long as I'm blapping my mouth, the other thing to deal with is the entirety of the car that has to deal with 2400hp.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/19/20 11:21 PM

You got my interest, if suppose I have a mega block that was used with super charger (no idea how much hp) what would I look for as problems?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/20/20 02:28 PM

I am happy you have been 8.30's with a SB in a Dart, what does that have to do with the question at hand. Or are we now comparing resumes? If you want to deal with the glorified stock block arrangement that is a megablock at 2400 HP then by all means do it and let us know how it turns out. The cap walk issues in Megablocks are pretty well known. Look at what blocks are in cars making that kind of power and report back to us. After all not your first rodeo..

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/20/20 02:54 PM

I am happy you have been 8.30's with a SB in a Dart, what does that have to do with the question at hand. Or are we now comparing resumes? If you want to deal with the glorified stock block arrangement that is a megablock at 2400 HP then by all means do it and let us know how it turns out. The cap walk issues in Megablocks are pretty well known. Look at what blocks are in cars making that kind of power and report back to us. After all not your first rodeo..

Like I said before, I have no experience with BBs and especially a megablock.
That's why I am asking here.
I always thought aftermarket iron blocks made more hp than aluminum.
I guess I was wrong.

Re: How much hp can a 2004 mopar mega block handle. - 07/20/20 04:27 PM

When you’re into these kinds of power levels....... it’s not so much about what the block can “make”....... it’s about what I can “take”.

The Megablock was not designed to be the ultimate high end race engine foundation.

It’s an updated, reinforced version of a stock block.

If 2400hp is really the target...... I’d be seriously considering a billet block.
© 2024 Moparts Forums