Moparts

Torque Converters - Who Do You Like?

Posted By: JACK1440

Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/07/20 08:05 PM

Looks like I'm in the market for a torque converter after testing the my stall speed. When I checked it, the motor pushed it to 6500 and I was told it really can't be tightened up enough. So.... who do you guys like for quality and service?

572in
900hp @ 7100
750lbs tq @ 5400

Thanks
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/07/20 08:18 PM

Dynamic.....I just did some converter/rear gear testing with 5 converter swaps. Turbo-Action for a second choice.

I won't do any direct company bashing, but will say that the more advertised, three initialed ones seem to think the looser the better.......I have a couple of friends cars, two that are verified 1000+ h.p. and one 900+ (both original builders dyno's and verified on local dyno's after refreshes) and they both e.t. and mph as if they're short about 200+ h.p.....two dragsters and the other a door car....after trying multiple three initial converters that worked almost exactly the same, they gave up and just live with having 200 h.p less et's......and yes all three have data recorders showing exactly what's going on. Guess GER never really went out of business, just changed some letters and opened multiple locations.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/07/20 08:34 PM

Turbo Action, call and talk to Paul. He will ask allot of questions.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/07/20 08:50 PM

Ultimate
PTC

I have had great customer service from both of these places.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/07/20 10:28 PM

Ultimate... have three of them, two of them ( one in car, one spare ) original T/A 904 8 inch redone by Ultimate for combo change, the other a 518 lockup redone.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/07/20 11:57 PM

I love PTC, but have heard a lot of good stuff about Dynamic
Posted By: skrews

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 01:21 AM

ATI
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 04:04 AM

Dynamic
Posted By: dvw

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 10:34 AM

Try yours first. Im betting it's an 8". May not be as bad as you might think. Currently mine runs an Ultimate 9.5" 6000 fall back and an ATI 9.5 6100 fall back. I've run an ATI 9.5"in the past that was 6300 fall back It ran as good as both of the ones I have now. Thought it would be way to loose. Not so. Mines never been on the dyno but it's a 15-1 572 that has out run more than a few that have dynoed over 900. Weve had good service from PTC as well. A few buddy's using Perfect Conveter near Cleveland. Last time he went 1.26 like clockwork. 3400lbs, 10.5x31, footbrake. His dyno numbers are nearly identical to yours. It has a 572 from Best Racing Engines.
Doug

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 12:08 PM

Doug, sounds like you're making good power. What made me suspicious is I was out a few weeks ago and it felt like it was almost slipping. Turns out there was basically no fall back at the shift. That the main reason I checked the stall speed. It is an 8". Dynamic told me I should go to a 9". Lot's of good input on. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 12:57 PM

A1, ATI and FTI have all been very good for me. Which one used depends on the application honestly.
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 01:14 PM

I have had good luck with PTC, since 2004
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 11secdart
Ultimate... have three of them

What he said.... 2 727 and 1 904. No complaints
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 01:56 PM

So you have run the converter you have at the track already? If not that the best place to start, look at finish line RPM and shift recovery RPM and that will tell you the story of whether its any good or not. As for buying one if you have a dyno sheet that's great. Even better is having a dyno sheet from a dyno your converter guy of choice is familiar with, since they all vary somewhat. Also if you have info on your current converter, especially if you do not have dyno info would also be helpful for the converter company of choice. As you see from this post opinions on converter companies will vary. I am also a firm believe that you have to try stuff in this are, many guys will tell you I love this company my converter is great but its the only one they have ever tried in their combo..As for a couple mentioned I would RUN fast the other way but again just my opinion.
Posted By: RustyM

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 02:00 PM

We tried FTI converters out of Florida for two units this last time, have one full season on them and two races this year- good units, no issues, great folks, great tech support, good price.
Good enough we haven't had to think about/worry about the converters.

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
So you have run the converter you have at the track already? If not that the best place to start, look at finish line RPM and shift recovery RPM and that will tell you the story of whether its any good or not. As for buying one if you have a dyno sheet that's great. Even better is having a dyno sheet from a dyno your converter guy of choice is familiar with, since they all vary somewhat. Also if you have info on your current converter, especially if you do not have dyno info would also be helpful for the converter company of choice. As you see from this post opinions on converter companies will vary. I am also a firm believe that you have to try stuff in this are, many guys will tell you I love this company my converter is great but its the only one they have ever tried in their combo..As for a couple mentioned I would RUN fast the other way but again just my opinion.

Hey Al, I did run the car about 3 weeks ago. That's where my doubt started. There was basically no fall back at the shift. Then when I contacted the company that built the converter they confirmed the converter wouldn't hold my combo and I should step up to a 9". Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 06:10 PM

Heavy-ish car, mid-rpm level high tq big cube motor + 8” converter doesn’t sound like the hot ticket to me.

From the sounds of it, you’re just driving right thru it...... which is what I’d expect.

I know of a few people who were having similar experiences with their combos and saw good results by switching to an Ultimate 9.5” unit.

My friend with the 572 powered charger than runs low 9’s has a race 10” from ATI that works really well.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 06:48 PM

I really like my TA converters(have 2 of them) also have a Ultimate and a few others
wave
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 07:21 PM

I'll be the odd man out here, but Ultimate missed my converter twice. Kenny Ford helped it but it still wasn't right. I installed a new Coan but am waiting on shocks before I can get to the track to see what I have. Not condemning Ultimate, I just didn't get good results for the money I spent.
Posted By: markz528

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/08/20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BloFish
Dynamic

That is all I have ever used and have had zero complaints over the last 35+ years. They are finishing one for me right now.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/09/20 06:11 AM

Come on Jack you know you will get about 10 different answers. wink. And thats because there is about 10 good converter companies out there or more. I love my 9.5 Dynamic but I am no where as fast or as powerful as your car. I always liked Turbo Action also as I know Gary has been using Dynamic and TurboAction. Good luck whatever you decide on. Ron
Posted By: dvw

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/09/20 10:16 AM

Lenny would have the specs on mine, I think I have the ATI numbers. Bubba at Perfect could duplicate the one he built for Max Maniac member here. The Ultimate falls back 800-1000, the ATI 700-900 depending on shift rpm. They both run very close.
Doug
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/09/20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by JACK1440
Looks like I'm in the market for a torque converter after testing the my stall speed. When I checked it, the motor pushed it to 6500 and I was told it really can't be tightened up enough. So.... who do you guys like for quality and service?

572in
900hp @ 7100
750lbs tq @ 5400

Thanks

I interviewed a number of manufacturers before I bought a convertor for my 605 Hemi.....Many weren't even sure how to spec one for a street/strip car with an engine that big. When I talked with ATI, guy said they sell these for 632 engines all the time and they hooked me right up. Been very happy with mine. Was just under $1k....
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/10/20 08:14 PM

I've had good luck in mopar converters using ATI, and Coan.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/10/20 11:24 PM

What are you checking on the converters?bolt pad,starter ring,pilot depth from front of trans,slap it on the flexplate and looks for gaps....
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/11/20 01:22 PM

Ive had great luck with PTC. Ive also had good luck with Coan and Dynamic, but I really like the customer service at PTC. And I think they are a little less pricey.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/11/20 09:46 PM

I like PTC also and their customer service but since you are MD I would give ATI consideration since they are local.
It gets expensive shipping a converter.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/12/20 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
I like PTC also and their customer service but since you are MD I would give ATI consideration since they are local.
It gets expensive shipping a converter.

I have never found the shipping to be the expensive part of the torque converter price tag.
If you are sending it back and forth for changes , the shipping might not have been the biggest problem either.
If the converter you choose is from a company that has a distribution agreement with a major parts house , shipping is often free there.
But I have never sweated the 25 to 40 bucks it has cost to have one sent to me.
It HAS made me glad I don't live in Europe , Japan or Australia. up
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/12/20 11:15 AM

I have had nothing but Turbo Action, I have never felt my converter was off. The few times I have called and talked to Paul he has been dead on. I called once, gave him a part number for my converter and told him the changes I was making(new engine). He was pretty spot on with how the converter would act with the new motor. I know Paul is in his late 70s or 80s maybe? I hope someone is there to carry to the torch when he decides to retire.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/12/20 11:43 AM

I have always had very good results with Turbo Action. Paul had been in the business forever. I have 3 of his convertors,when I built my 605 I contacted him to see if he could upgrade either my 8" or my old 10". He said he couldn't tighten up my 8" enough but my 10" could be done. I shipped if off to him and it worked fantastic.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/12/20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tubtar

I have never found the shipping to be the expensive part of the torque converter price tag.
If you are sending it back and forth for changes , the shipping might not have been the biggest problem either.
If the converter you choose is from a company that has a distribution agreement with a major parts house , shipping is often free there.
But I have never sweated the 25 to 40 bucks it has cost to have one sent to me.
It HAS made me glad I don't live in Europe , Japan or Australia. up

I just got one back and shipping back and forth was $80. Not a big deal but I noticed a few suggested ATI and they are local.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 07/12/20 12:53 PM

I have always felt and had results prove it that Turbo Action is the Best MOPAR converter out there bar none.

Update: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 09/24/20 04:51 PM

Well, made it out last week and have some results although I had other issues. I ended up going with Ultimate. I really liked Lenny and what he had to say. He fitted me with a 9 1/2" 5600 flash converter. So, I got one pass before I had an issue with one of my heads leaking coolant, that's being welded now. The results are definitely headed in the right direction. I never would have thought a converter could make that much difference. I still have a lot of tuning to do with the front shocks. I was WAY too tight so it caused the car to literally hop off the ground. I straightened the car out and floor boarded it. The ET was off due to the hole shot but, mph.....

The car gained 8 mph at the 1/8 from 107.5 (old converter) to 116.2 and 11 mph at the 1/4 from 135.6 (old converter) to 146.2. Can't wait to get this head back on and see what kind of et it will run with a good hole shot.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Update: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 09/24/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by JACK1440
Well, made it out last week and have some results although I had other issues. I ended up going with Ultimate. I really liked Lenny and what he had to say. He fitted me with a 9 1/2" 5600 flash converter. So, I got one pass before I had an issue with one of my heads leaking coolant, that's being welded now. The results are definitely headed in the right direction. I never would have thought a converter could make that much difference. I still have a lot of tuning to do with the front shocks. I was WAY too tight so it caused the car to literally hop off the ground. I straightened the car out and floor boarded it. The ET was off due to the hole shot but, mph.....

The car gained 8 mph at the 1/8 from 107.5 (old converter) to 116.2 and 11 mph at the 1/4 from 135.6 (old converter) to 146.2. Can't wait to get this head back on and see what kind of et it will run with a good hole shot.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sounds great, It really is so nice to deal with such down to earth people like Lenny. Get ready for some good results !!!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Update: Torque Converters - Who Do You Like? - 09/24/20 06:28 PM

That's one hell of an improvement! Sounds like the old converter was WAYYYY too loose.
© 2024 Moparts Forums