Moparts

Oil pan for 540 incher

Posted By: hemienvy

Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/07/20 07:27 PM

Seriously considering a 4.500" crank. But this would be a street-type motor,
so maybe 5500 RPM tops if I do it this way.
So I'm wondering if a 6-quart pan would be sufficient, I think my only concern
would be the increased windage from the long stroke, so maybe the 6-quart pan
with a really good windage scraper ?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/07/20 07:57 PM

Have a nice day
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/07/20 08:03 PM

Usually a 540 is a 4.5 bore with a 4.25 stroke.

OK, I am thinking maybe you were going to do a 4 and 3/8 bore with 4.5 stroke for 541 CI.

If you're serious about 5500rpm, I doubt you will notice any problems.
I would consider a windage tray + possibly overfilling it by an arbitrary amount you have to take an educated guess on.

One thing I've done to research what might possibly work is, I compared the liquid level in the pan VS connecting rod "stick out" to make sure that, at least in a static environment
the two aren't getting into each other too badly. the further apart the better but street engines are a compromise. Have also compared that to
what are known good combinations that I have used in the past, hopefully arriving at something workable.
If you check my 572 build/ugly pictures long thread you'll see markings on the side of the style of pan you're considering + the stick out measurement.
In the end I decided I'd feel better with a slightly deeper pan because of stick out.

They're built with street type oiling systems all the time.
They do seem to drop a tiny bit of oil pressure at higher rpm when street type pans and oiling systems are used,
both hemi and wedge, with that stroke. We're only talking a couple psi but nobody likes to see that.
The ways around that are those used by race cars for many years that we're all familiar with.

Good luck
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/07/20 10:57 PM

On a big engine use as big of an oil pan that you can. The Milodon road race pan works pretty well on the street or have something custom built.
Posted By: merpar

Re: Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/08/20 02:24 PM

Baffles! one of the most important things in an oil pan. You have to keep oil around the pick up. I would do 8 qt. min. with a windage tray. Can not stress enough to have a well baffled oil pan. If you don't you will lose oil pressure when you shut down. Also run a 1/4" line to your oil pressure gauge.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/08/20 05:18 PM

One of the better running FAST builds was using a 4.5 crank.
Scraper, windage tray, Hemi style pan....... running 7k....... no issues.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/09/20 05:38 AM

I used the stock 1970/1971 6 quart hemi and 440 6 pack oil pan on my old 518 C.I. (4.300 stroke with BB Chevy type H beam rods) pump gas Duster with 6 quarts in the pan plus another quart for the standard Mopar size oil filter.
I shifted it at or above 7000 RPM on every run, no problem with it oiling with a lot of runs (1000+) at the track and over 3000 street miles on it also up
It would loose oil pressure after letting off in the 1/4 mile at 134. MPH if it got down a quart of oil in the pan, it wouldn't do that when it was above the add line by 1/2 quart. up
I used a stock Mopar windage tray and my home made crankshaft scraper with .060 to .030 clearances to the rotating parts wrench up
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Oil pan for 540 incher - 07/09/20 03:55 PM

Second for the stock hemi pan with a scraper.
© 2024 Moparts Forums