Moparts

Comp Hyd Roller Fail

Posted By: ccdave

Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/02/20 07:40 PM

No more Comp hydraulic roller lifter for any builds!!! These rollers had less than 3k on a very mild cam.
They cost more but I’m going with Johnson lifters moving forward!

Attached picture 1EE706F7-0F74-49BC-83F0-5C2F01663F9D.jpeg
Attached picture A96660FA-9ECB-4D8B-A9C8-4A5B3FE73D75.jpeg
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/02/20 08:47 PM

What were the lobe numbers on the cam?

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/02/20 10:00 PM

530 lift 230 @.050.

Very mild 440 with lightly ported EStreet heads with beehive springs.
We have had a bit of a bad luck streak with Comp products as of late. Same customer split a Comp rocker on a somewhat mild BBC build as well.

The Johnson lifters are build right here in Michigan and our superior to most others.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/02/20 11:54 PM

That top roller doesn't look like it did too much rolling !
Ouch !!
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/02/20 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by tubtar
Ouch !!

By the looks of it, it never rolled. All 3,000 miles. Birdtracker

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/03/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by birdtracker
Originally Posted by tubtar
Ouch !!

By the looks of it, it never rolled. All 3,000 miles. Birdtracker

I built the engine 6 years ago. My customer said " it just started making a loud ticking noise " . That was last week. The engine ran great on the dyno and made just a tad over 500 horsepower. Bottom line, the tie bar rivets fatigued over time and BOOM!!! The tie bar currently resides on the bottom of the oil pan. The Johnson lifters do cost more however when this sh!t happens its worth paying more...
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/03/20 01:39 PM

The tie bar slot length is always greater than the inter-tappet distance to allow for the tappets being on opposite ends of the lift scale.
Any chance the button was bottomed out in the slot?

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/03/20 02:55 PM

No
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/03/20 04:22 PM

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/crane-roller-lifters-oh-no.465692/
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/05/20 11:48 AM

You may want to double check and verify spring pressures are HIGH enough. If pressures are low that can do far more damage than running more than you need.
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/05/20 12:29 PM

my buddy just lost a 318, mild build with just hydraulic lifters, 30 miles after break in.
2 lifters went soft, wiped cam and then crank

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/29/20 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rapid340
You may want to double check and verify spring pressures are HIGH enough. If pressures are low that can do far more damage than running more than you need.

Because when a customer hands you a check for 12K to build his engine you don't check spring pressure???? Thanks for the response but...... everything and then some was checked on this engine. Keep in mind this 440 had been running fine since 2014. A single tie bar out of 8 failed 3 months ago. We sent the bad roller pair to Comp, they said sorry and fixed the galled two lobes on the cam for free and assured us that they have corrected what may have been a quality issues with that production run on their roller lifters. All is good however, I now use Johnson lifters on all of my builds. They truly are the best hydraulic roller lifter money can buy. Check them out!!!
Posted By: Wailin D

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/29/20 05:01 AM

These are the Johnson lifters not the Johnson Hylift, correct?
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Comp Hyd Roller Fail - 07/29/20 02:50 PM

All these threads on Comp hyd roller failures has me a little unsettled. I just had a 512 built in 2017 using a Comp kit with a few thousand street miles on it.

Did you notice the lifters being quieter after swapping to the Johnson lifters?
© 2024 Moparts Forums