Moparts

Milky Oil Supercharged Engine

Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/01/20 01:18 AM

I get milky oil on the bottom of both valve covers.
There is nothing in the pan and nothing in valley

So I have heard that this may be OK but usually milky oil if a concern.
Prochargered wedge. Joe Gibbs 20 W 50 oil

It was bad last winter as I started the car and moved it outside and inside the shop numerous times.
The car was not driven in the winter (canada) so it never got driven or have the oil warm.

I was told that to get the engine warm and boil off some moisture.

I took it for a good drive today with my wife and when I got home I checked and still white
Temp of engine between 180-200 and oil temp at 180 at the end of the day.

I have 2 lines from the valve covers into a separator

Any thoughts?

Attached picture watersep.jpg
Attached picture oilwater.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/01/20 01:30 AM

Change the oil and keep an eye on it. If it is just condensation from the winter then it will go away. If you have a pin hole leak from the cooling system it will keep showing up in the oil. Run a pressure check on the cooling system if you can or just keep an eye on the coolant level.

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/01/20 03:05 PM

Are my vacuum lines big enough?

Attached picture road runner vac-lines.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/01/20 03:16 PM

How much vac are you pulling... if the milk is in just the VCs then its condensation and needs a good
hot day and a good drive
wave
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/01/20 03:55 PM

My thoughts are to get some of that ceramic block sealer...and try that. Is your water level in the rad dropping? Head gaskets ok? Maybe do a pressure check on the cooling system...
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/01/20 07:32 PM

What kind of fuel are you using?

If its e85 or alky the water temp needs to hit 200 before being parked for the day to burn the moisture out.

12an line to the breather helps. Its amazing how much water collects in those tanks.

I try to never start unless going to 200 to avoid milking the oil.

Adding a quart of Lucas seems to help with longevity as well.

Try one of those radiator caps that you can bleed the pressure off when warmed up.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/01/20 09:55 PM

I race on E85 in my bracket car with a GZ vacuum pump, no milky oil in the valve covers in five years of racing but I do get some water, condensation, in the puke tank when I drain it shruggy
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/02/20 01:02 AM

I think you just need some better crankcase ventilation, a supercharged engine pulls in a lot of air, air has moisture, all engines have some blowby, which contains moisture. First thing to check is how much blowby do you have? A cylinder leak test, and if you have access to one they make blowby testers as well. You can build one.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/measuring-blow-by-the-real-test-for-internal-engine-condition/

I have seen many supercharged engines that run good, but had excessive blowby and slobbered a little.

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/02/20 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been driving it longer and rad temps at 190-200 but oil only goes to 160-170 max.

I took the valve cover off and it only has a smaller portion on milky oil by the filler and none by the evac tube.

I have only used 94 pump gas. which can contain up to 10% ethanol

I definately see that I need to drive it if I am going to start it. Not starting to just move it out of the shop

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/02/20 03:49 PM

Update... the milky oil has mostly all gone.. Thanks
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/02/20 06:38 PM

I have seen people connect a small vacuum to the valve covers after getting warmed up or running and this would help cool the engine and evacuate the moisture I think.

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/04/20 10:26 AM

Like a 12 Volt? Plumbed In?
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/04/20 12:31 PM

I see vacuum pumps on blown motors all the time
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Milky Oil Supercharged Engine - 07/04/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kam*Kuda
Like a 12 Volt? Plumbed In?
The vacuum is connected to 1 side of the valve cover after a run or getting warmed up and draws air from 1 side of the engine to the other not mounted in the car.I saw a 120v shop vac very small on Bill Lutz car in the pits and there was a few others.
© 2024 Moparts Forums