Moparts

Tires bounce in burnout

Posted By: n20mstr

Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 01:58 AM

Tires bounce in burnout and vibration before finish line .

Tire balance or driveshaft/u-joints?

Hoosier radials they are balanced and take a lot of weight
Driveshaft is Denny’s nitrous ready , been in car 10 years . Approx 500 passes and who knows street miles
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 03:30 AM

hi

look close at tires for a build up of rubber and traction compound .

i may only be on 1 tire .

air psi also must be correct , higher is best for top end .
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 03:40 AM

n20mstr- I suspect you have forgotten more than me but I spoke with a real good local driveline shop recently that did drag racing stuff- He said driveshafts do wear out. I don't know your power level but 500 passes is a decent number and it could be that it twisted and is now out of balance.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 12:10 PM

Tony, I'd be leaning more towards it being a tire issue. I've twisted driveshafts in the past and only had a vibration through 1st and 2nd gear...not noticeable anywhere else. Once in high gear, it smoothed right out. Had this happen twice.
Last year I had a slight vibration in 2nd gear only...turned out to be wear in the U joints. New U joints and it's smooth as silk again.

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockGTS
n20mstr- I suspect you have forgotten more than me but I spoke with a real good local driveline shop recently that did drag racing stuff- He said driveshafts do wear out. I don't know your power level but 500 passes is a decent number and it could be that it twisted and is now out of balance.

Its a small block duster street car . 400+ ? Hp . Runs 11 teens at 120. I think It’s the tires. I also think the driveshaft needs maintenance. It’s been in the car for ten years . He races multiple classes most times and like I said it’s got well over 500 passes on it most of them 11.50 to 11 teens . It’s a 3200lb street car . It’s got some street miles on it also .

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Tony, I'd be leaning more towards it being a tire issue. I've twisted driveshafts in the past and only had a vibration through 1st and 2nd gear...not noticeable anywhere else. Once in high gear, it smoothed right out. Had this happen twice.
Last year I had a slight vibration in 2nd gear only...turned out to be wear in the U joints. New U joints and it's smooth as silk again.

He has balanced the tires twice now . On a spin balancer . I told him call Hoosier and see if he did something wrong . Maybe they can only be bubble balanced ? Or maybe something wrong with these tires. They take 9-10oz to balance .even tried moving them around on the rim
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 12:23 PM

Check your tires for roundness. We see more and more tires that are egg shaped. And no amount of weights will offset it. I have a pair of MT drag radials that are so out of round that they will shake the fillings out of your teeth by 60mph.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 12:49 PM

Put the car on stands/ hoist. Run the car in low gear and look for oval running tire or wheel. It would not be unusual to see a powerful radial car to have bent wheels or axles.
Posted By: usp4u

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

He has balanced the tires twice now . On a spin balancer . I told him call Hoosier and see if he did something wrong . Maybe they can only be bubble balanced ? Or maybe something wrong with these tires. They take 9-10oz to balance .even tried moving them around on the rim

If I had a tire that HAD to have that much weight....I'd throw it out.

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
Put the car on stands/ hoist. Run the car in low gear and look for oval running tire or wheel. It would not be unusual to see a powerful radial car to have bent wheels or axles.

I don’t know if I would say it’s “powerful” lol but it’s got an 8.8 from an explorer under it . Stock axles . We are going to run it on stands see what the tires rims axles are doing
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 02:03 PM

I'd definitely do what Trendz suggested! I forgot to mention a couple years ago I also had a vibration that turned out to be twisted axles. Again, wasn't noticeable at speed. I found it by letting the car idle in gear on jackstands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7en1p9e7iU
Posted By: dvw

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 02:10 PM

He has balanced the tires twice now . On a spin balancer . I told him call Hoosier and see if he did something wrong . Maybe they can only be bubble balanced ? Or maybe something wrong with these tires. They take 9-10oz to balance .even tried moving them around on the rim [/quote]

If I had a tire that HAD to have that much weight....I'd throw it out. [/quote]

Apparently you've never balanced a bias ply slick
Doug
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by dvw

If I had a tire that HAD to have that much weight....I'd throw it out. [/quote]

Doug [/quote] iagree haha
Posted By: skrews

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 05:42 PM

As mentioned above, put the car on jack stands and run it in 1st gear and see if everything runs true. Tires are probably out of round.
Posted By: usp4u

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by dvw

If I had a tire that HAD to have that much weight....I'd throw it out.

Doug [/quote] iagree haha [/quote]

nope.
that sound ridiculous
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 09:14 PM

Just mounted and balanced these Brand New .... 7oz... I've seen that much and more, more times than not.

Attached picture IMG_3550[1].JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/25/20 11:39 PM

I have a old bubble balancer along with a really old(1950 tech.) mechanical tire mounting machine.
I replaced Hoosier, they have a bubble on one tire at the edge of the where the tread would be whiney13.5x32x15 W slicks on my S/P car this winter with a new set of Goodyear 15x33x15. I did all the work here in my shop and when it came time to balance the new tires I had a really hard time balancing these tires on my old bubble balancer, the rims are a old set of Monoque 15x15 with 3.5 inch back spacing.
I mounted and balanced the Hoosier and I don't remember having the same issue as these Goodyear, the Goodyears needed very little weight, maybe 2.5 to 4.0 ounces per tire so maybe their not bad. I have ran them in the 1/4 mile(147+MPH) with no issues that I noticed luck
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Tires bounce in burnout - 06/26/20 11:14 AM

WE HAVE A LOAD FORCE BALLANCER AND YOU CAN GET IT TO BALLANCE BUT THE LOAD FORCE MAY BE WAY OUT(EGG SHAPE). WE HAVE SEEN 25-50 LBS OF LOAD FORCE.
© 2024 Moparts Forums