Moparts

440 intake curiousity

Posted By: 3hundred

440 intake curiousity - 06/15/20 05:29 PM

Years ago I had a CH4B that had the center divider cut down about 1" from the carb flange. Was wondering on a stock 440 what would be the effect of cutting down that divider about 1" ?

Attached picture IMG_0022.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 intake curiousity - 06/15/20 05:33 PM

Do it and find out sawzall work
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 440 intake curiousity - 06/15/20 06:55 PM

You probably won't be able to notice the difference
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: 440 intake curiousity - 06/15/20 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
You probably won't be able to notice the difference

Okay, backstory, I was told the modded CH4B was on a 505 stroker w/ a 750 CFM carb. Supposedly the mod was to make the engine perceive the carburetor was bigger? shruggy

I've been toying with the long term idea (probably never happen) of a sniper fuel system thinking the mod would eliminate the dual plane problem with FI. In the meantime I was just curious what it would do with the stock carburetor.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: 440 intake curiousity - 06/15/20 07:21 PM

Only one way to know for sure exactly what it would do on your combo.

The good news is, if for some reason it’s not to your liking....... it’s not that hard or expensive to find a replacement.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: 440 intake curiousity - 06/16/20 12:42 AM

If the intake is limiting power output of a motor that has additional potential, then milling the divider will likely add peak power, and may, or may not impact lower rpm power.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: 440 intake curiousity - 06/16/20 01:56 AM

A 1" open spacer (if it fits your hood, linkage, fuel line, etc.) has a similar effect.
Expect:
1. idle quality suffers slightly, idle vacuum lower
2. response may need more pump shot
3. mileage may go either way
4. peak power increased slightly (most if plenum and/or carb is small)
5. cylinder to cylinder distribution may get worse (on a well-developed manifold)
Posted By: SportF

Re: 440 intake curiousity - 06/16/20 02:57 PM

Years ago (maybe like 50) I had a factory 4 hole 383 manifold that I made into one big square hole. All blended and looking great. I thought it was working until I put on my two barrel manifold for winter driving. The two barrel was such a marked improvement in performance it was rather unbelievable.

My mechanic neighbor said something to the effect "did you think the factory guys were stupid?"

My only reply was to toss the manifold.
© 2024 Moparts Forums