Moparts

Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 03:53 PM

I guess we will find out very soon if this is true. Pontiac race just canceled.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/summit-motorsports-park-reportedly-not-opening-in-2020/
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 04:15 PM

This would be a real bummer!He needs to run on a minimum crew or if he can write off the season for finance reasons to avoid total shutdown.IDK.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 06:44 PM

I see on FB someone leaked the info to be told on Wednesday
Posted By: scottb

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 07:01 PM

Reading a article where he says he’s lost enough money and it’s time to shut it down and start next yr so sad
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 09:04 PM

A track that nice needs all of its revenue to stay afloat. The behind the scenes issue more than likely that sponsors are falling by the way side daily and without sponsors there are no big races hence no revenue.. NHRA dropping them from this years list had to hurt both fiscally and emotionally. Its too bad because its a great facility run by great people...
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 09:05 PM

Hate to see and hear this... Tulsa Raceway Park has been open for weeks and so have several other tracks in this region and we are having record crowds and turn outs (nothing else to do and people are tired of being cooped up). This weekend is the NHRA Divisional and they are expecting over 500 cars, people coming from all over the country to race.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 10:19 PM

This has to be because of financial reasons
Crazy that Bader was going from opening illegally a few weeks ago to not opening at all.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 10:27 PM

Is Junior running the whole show now ?

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy
Crazy that Bader was going from opening illegally a few weeks ago to not opening at all.
He said 85% of his income has gone for the year.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/01/20 11:52 PM

So what are they going to do with the No Prep race in October ? That race brings in a buttload of money shruggy

Gus beer

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
So what are they going to do with the No Prep race in October ? That race brings in a buttload of money shruggy

Gus beer

So does the Halloween Classic and the bracket finals were also scheduled there too.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 01:25 AM

I was also kinda wondering if his video didn't bite him in the behind. Sad to see a track not open for any reason.
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 11:31 AM

Wondering what they are going to do with dragweek they are supposed to he the 2nd track. Also wondering if closing has something to do with a law suit with the government for not letting open or a loss of revenue insurance. I have no idea if thats the case just wondering.
Posted By: mopar97

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 01:00 PM

Gulfport had over 300 cars Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The promoter even added money to the payouts. I saw cars from 3 states away. I also saw people in small isolated groups and most spectators were sitting along the fence and not congregated in the stands. Social distancing was in effect and most people were fine with it.
I hate to see any track close, that's 1 less place for people to go enjoy themselves.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by slantzilla

I was also kinda wondering if his video didn't bite him in the behind. Sad to see a track not open for any reason.

I suspect between Ohio officials and the airport crew next door, they have Bader in a choke hold somehow Politically
Posted By: BobR

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 02:50 PM

I find this really odd. I'd bet it has something to do with the stand he took on the Covid virus.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

AGAIN !!

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 03:36 PM

AGAIN !!

Norwalk is ran like a corporation with lots of staff. Bill sr is pretty much out of the picture. I’m not sure how old this is but it will give you an idea. Bill jr’s son Evan is being given more control everyday.

https://www.summitmotorsportspark.com/page/746028c2-3d45-4516-1f1f-08d5471f3a6a
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 04:18 PM

Country roads are always open.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 04:33 PM

Well since tracks all over Ohio are and have been open for a few weeks I am sure that is playing a factor. I read somewhere about the track having been vandalized since that facebook post as well. I am sure in retrospect he would rethink that action. The NHRA pulling out was a large part of the decision as well no doubt. Hopefully this is not going to affect 2021 and beyond. This is the second track on the NMCA trail that's been lost for this season

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

AGAIN !!

Norwalk is ran like a corporation with lots of staff. Bill sr is pretty much out of the picture. I’m not sure how old this is but it will give you an idea. Bill jr’s son Evan is being given more control everyday.

https://www.summitmotorsportspark.com/page/746028c2-3d45-4516-1f1f-08d5471f3a6a

Damn Burgher - Thx for that link up

Some years ago I attended NRP as a bracket race contingency product sponsor ! .... I did 3 or 4 years straight at the Halloween Classic. Never as a racer though.

I spent A LOT of time in the tower with both guys...,,,,IMO Sr was the business person ... Jr was a good GREAT announcer ... but does anyone ever remember Kevin ??!! eek
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 07:58 PM

Bill Sr. built the foundation of Norwalk Raceway Park and set the tone of customer first - Since Bill Jr. took over the track it has grown to what it is today - Bill Jr. is one of the best businessmen I know and he has the training and experience outside of the raceway to prove it - He is also politically savvy and if he wanted to open he could - many lawmakers here in Ohio call him a good friend - He is no dummy when it comes to the numbers - I am guessing he just did not see a path forward this year and chose to suspend operations to protect the cash on hand. I have raced at Norwalk for well over 35 years now and have seen what it was and what it has become - I have also had many a conversion with Bill Sr., Bill Jr. and Bobbie Bader and one thing is very clear making money and making people happy is the number one rule - they don't do things to loose money on purpose. He needs spectators and food sales without them there is no success. They will be back in 2021 - this year is a wash for us racers anyway - its gonna be a test and tune year - just to get some seat time.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/02/20 08:17 PM

This is what the pits used to look like. Dad and I with my first big block car

Attached picture CE4C791F-164B-496B-8B4D-EA0524DBDC24.jpeg

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 12:14 AM

UPDATE

Summit Motorsports Park
26 mins ·
A MESSAGE FROM BILL BADER JR.

While planning what was to be a standout season of racing at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio, the Coronavirus hit.

Our country halted and hunkered down, and yet, I was hopeful that I would be able to open, as soon as possible, the facility that has been the source of pride and passion for my family for more than 50 years.

I was prepared to do whatever I needed to do to ensure that every guest who came through our gates would be safe while still experiencing everything that has helped Summit Motorsports Park stand out in the motorsports industry for so many years.

I was eager to present the fast cars and fireworks, the entertainment and excitement, and most of all, “The Norwalk Experience.” My team wanted the same.

I was confident that this year’s offerings, including the highly anticipated 43rd Annual Kelly Night Under Fire, would help us reach record attendance as we have so many times before.

But it was becoming apparent that I was not going to be able to accomplish all of that, as our country was still so adversely affected by the Coronavirus pandemic.

While faced with trying to produce events that would not, under current circumstances, hold up to the high standards that I set years ago when I took over the family business from my father, I was well aware that we had already lost 83 percent of our revenue for the year, and we wouldn’t be able to make the money we need to make to successfully sustain operations if we opened. In fact, we would lose money, and I can’t responsibly take that financial risk.

So I decided that I owed it to Summit Motorsports Park racers, race fans, sponsors and supporters to cancel this season, and start planning to make the 2021 season the most magnificent and monumental yet.

The majority of my team — whom, like you, I consider to be family — is laid off, so please be patient as I work to regroup and plan a most remarkable rebound that will show racers, race fans, sponsors and supporters why we’re America’s Racetrack.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for your support and for standing by me, my family, my team and Summit Motorsports Park in these turbulent and trying times. Here’s to a tremendous 2021 together.

May God Bless you and your family and God Bless America!

— Bill Bader Jr., President of Summit Motorsports Park
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 01:06 PM

I think a lot of this has to do with the lack of spectators at the events.

I see Elmer canceled the Rocking Chair Nostalgia race at Mason Dixon this week too. That race brings in a huge amount of spectators and that is all profit money for the tracks.

Without spectators its a huge hit to the tracks bottom line.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by moparacer

I see Elmer canceled the Rocking Chair Nostalgia race at Mason Dixon this week too. That race brings in a huge amount of spectators and that is all profit money for the tracks.

I think it has zero to do with fans in the stands.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by moparacer

I agree 100% with this. Bill doesn’t put on a race, he puts on a money back guaranteed show. Azz in the seats makes money in the pocket. Now as far as the no box race, big money top bulb race, etc, those aren’t going to drawl spectators, on friends and family. Bill doesn’t book jet cars and shoot of fireworks for the racers.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 06:18 PM

RT 66 made the same announcement today. Anything NHRA sanctioned is done for the year. Not sure if the affects No Prep Kings or not, but I can't believe they will open with no spectators.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 06:46 PM

RT 66 made the same announcement today. Anything NHRA sanctioned is done for the year. Not sure if the affects No Prep Kings or not, but I can't believe they will open with no spectators.

They(NHRA) had already cancelled the National Event, so they just added the divisional. It would also cancel any Summit Bracket racing series events as those are NHRA sanctioned as well. Only thing I have not heard anything about is what happens with the Jegs Allstars. Those participants worked hard to be able to make that deal and as of now they have been left out completely. Guess their 2019 efforts were for naught.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 08:44 PM

I can't even go to DW42 to watch a race the tnt is closed to racers only tonight.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Clanton
I can't even go to DW42 to watch a race the tnt is closed to racers only tonight.

I’m only going to say this once but you have to learn to play the game. Quaker City is opening up this weekend with zero spectators allowed. BUT you are allowed to have up to 10 pit crew guys. Do you get what I’m trying to say without saying it.

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Clanton

Become a crew guy. I know someone headed to Ohio very soon that will be in need of one wave Lots of us old guys that can use an extra hand or two at the track willing to pay all the expenses and feed and bevereage the willing

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 10:44 PM

TEN crew members .... up ... laugh2

If I was closer I’d like to CREW for someone to scope that action!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Read it and weep. Norwalk may not open in 2020 - 06/03/20 11:26 PM

I just have to assume that Norwalk has some big overhead expenses (like insurance) that would not make it profitable "with 83% revenue lost".
Since lots of other expense are zero when it was closed (without revenue). A low overhead business will make money being open half the time since closer to half the expenses were not incurred while closed.

Anyway, I was able to race on May 30 at Farmington Dragway, NC. Great turnout of racers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums