Moparts

Which coating for an intake manifold?

Posted By: Moparteacher

Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/30/20 10:25 PM

New (bare) TrickFlow intake going on the 383/432. I'm looking for recommendations to seal and protect, ease of cleaning, and something that's purdy.
Should I ceramic coat? Powder coat? Other?
And, what should I expect t o pay?
Pics please and recommendations.
Thanks
Posted By: jughed

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/30/20 11:12 PM

..powder coated. Easy to clean, no oxidation.

Attached picture IMG_20200411_202408822.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/30/20 11:14 PM

As for me, I paint mine - and aluminum heads & water pump, if so equipped - the same color as the rest of the engine.
To my eye, it just looks cleaner, less cluttered & more professional.
If you like the aluminum look, a high-temp clear for aluminum should work.

Attached picture MOTOR2013.jpg
Attached picture EngineLF.jpg
Attached picture Motor2.jpg
Attached picture 63airclnr.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/30/20 11:46 PM

I wanted to paint my magnum air gap but I don't think I can get to the underside of the manifold between the valley cover. So I think I'm just going to leave it alone and let it just get cruddy looking. It's own kind of patina if you will.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 12:19 AM

I haven't tested it on an intake but my front end still looks like this (maybe some road dirt) and the calipers were done too. I used Eastwood's Exo Armor as a clear coating on all natural metal appearing parts. they claim it's good up to 2000° F....that's better than exhaust paint

Attached picture front end done.png
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 12:21 AM

I powder coated my W-5 manifold.. was good for a few years but when doing jet changes it
stained where the bit of fuel ran down when un-doing the fuel line but it was nice in silver
wave
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 02:04 PM

Clear coat holds up very well on intake manifolds. But not the spray bomb stuff. You need the 2 part gun clear. Flattening agent will knock the level of gloss down if you want. And, as always, the durability is tied to the prep. Glass beading is about the best prep I have found.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 02:39 PM

I've had very good results with VHT Engine Enamel clear in a spray bomb, but all the VHT paints work well in my experience.

Attached picture 20200427_174206(1).jpg
Attached picture 20200427_174153(2).jpg
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 02:53 PM

Rust Prevention Magic.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 04:03 PM

I use high temp aluminum exhaust paint.....Fuel removes it, but its easy to touch up and prevents corrosion Looks like natural aluminum......

Attached picture IMG_20200529_184153.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 04:08 PM

Had my intake & valve covers clear coated, didn't last long after a few jet changes the paint stained and won't come clean
Central Conn coatings, http://www.centralctcoatings.com/ did a great job with my headers at a great price.
So either I will strip them and run them bare or ceramic coat.

Attached picture 5.13.15 005.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3838.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jughed

I disagree after having one intake and a set of cast aluminum valve covers powder coated on one of my old race motors, that coating holds the heat into the parts horribly, not worth doing on any motor you want to make power, cooler air and fuel make more power work twocents
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 05/31/20 09:52 PM

I like paint.

Attached picture IMG_1073.JPG
Posted By: jughed

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 06/01/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

I disagree after having one intake and a set of cast aluminum valve covers powder coated on one of my old race motors, that coating holds the heat into the parts horribly, not worth doing on any motor you want to make power, cooler air and fuel make more power work twocents

Maybe... but I'll be running e85, and have a fresh air scoop. I'm not worried about a few degrees of supposed heat retention. Whatever floats your boat.
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 06/01/20 01:54 AM

I powdercoat mine using an eastwood kit.

Attached picture A393A8FF-AF7D-4190-9942-797EF2D3E7B0.jpeg
Attached picture EC151C13-ABAF-4AD0-A5E9-3D7E4BADD5CB.jpeg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 06/01/20 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Maybe... but I'll be running e85, and have a fresh air scoop. I'm not worried about a few degrees of supposed heat retention. Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not talking about a few degrees, I'm talking about having 110 F uncoated versus 190 + F coated after a run shock pukescope
The powder coating kept the heat in the intake manifold and valve covers a log time after a run also down That is how I found about it doing that whiney Money wasted on trying to make the engine better looking with the hood off at the races realcrazy
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 06/02/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jbc426
I've had very good results with VHT Engine Enamel clear in a spray bomb, but all the VHT paints work well in my experience.

drool I like it

Attached picture Valve lash.jpg
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Which coating for an intake manifold? - 06/02/20 07:30 PM

Mine has been powder coated for 5 or 6 years now with MANY e85 jet changes. Still looks almost brand new....smae with the valve covers.

I also had the cold air intake tube for the turbo polished and then powder coated clear. Still sparkling bright with VERY little upkeep.
© 2024 Moparts Forums