Moparts

Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust?

Posted By: gregsdart

Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 04:27 PM

Years ago i went to a geardrive to control cam walk. I was using a standard type timing cover and thrust button. The cam actually distorted the cover and was running so far out it almost crashed adjoining lobes into the next lifters. It took a lot of pressure to do that .
After battling many rocker bearing failures for years i am forced to try another stock type cover and chain in hopes that that will eliminate harmonics that may be destroying my rockers. Does anyone make a renforced cover, or has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? I don't want to spend 1250 for a belt drive. My race budget is real tight right now.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 04:30 PM

I’ve used the cast aluminum Indy covers for years with zero issues
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 04:32 PM

I have seen people put a wedge between the timing cover and water pump...

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 04:35 PM

ATI offers a whim that Summit stock if your damper needs spaced out.

Attached picture 5E592EEF-CABB-4C80-A2C2-A0384207C676.jpeg
Attached picture 60EEF13D-D9BC-446E-8C29-CE85B030B069.jpeg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 05:09 PM

Sounds like there is a issue with the lifter bore angles not being correct causing to much pushing by the roller lifters trying to force the cams forward work scope Very common on BB Chevy motors, not so much on BB Mopars or 426 hemi motors shruggy
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 05:45 PM

Years ago I welded a spacer that butted against the water pump hsg. Worked fine.
Posted By: RobR

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 06:01 PM

I've put a lot of Indy cast covers on roller cam big blocks,I mean a lot...I have all manner of water pump spacers for pulley alignment and cam buttons.
I'm not a big fan of a welded button on the back of the water pump housing to support the timing cover,I sure it could work given enough tinkering.
It's what ever you have the time for I guess...
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 06:03 PM

Sure, I've been making billet covers for the past 20 years that solve that problem: http://arengineering.com/products/timing-chain-cover/
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 07:03 PM

Just curious why you are not considering a belt drive???
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 07:23 PM

He said because of price.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 07:34 PM

Missed that last sentence, but they are out there in the secondary market. I have purchased three in the last year that way, and if you have an issue with cam thrust Jesel also offers a solution for that with their belt drive with their zero thrust cam adapters. Been there done that.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Sure, I've been making billet covers for the past 20 years that solve that problem: http://arengineering.com/products/timing-chain-cover/
It's a beautiful piece, too.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing
I have seen people put a wedge between the timing cover and water pump...

I had to do that very thing once. I believe the force was coming from the oil drive. I welded a nut on the back of the waterpump and had a bolt in it to run agains the timing cover. Roller bearing thrust button. The timing would swing wildly as it pushed forward, essentially turning the distributor location as it moved forward.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Missed that last sentence, but they are out there in the secondary market. I have purchased three in the last year that way, and if you have an issue with cam thrust Jesel also offers a solution for that with their belt drive with their zero thrust cam adapters. Been there done that.

I think I might have sold you a slightly used Jesel belt once or twice! I used to buy them for my dyno engines and then sell them once the testing was done since most people weren't interesting in buying a pump gas engine with a Jesel belt drive. If I was running a serious race engine I'd use a belt drive. Lots of advantages with the belt drive including the super nice setup for camshaft endplay as well as the ease of indexing the cam.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 11:24 PM

Ok, I never seen this before tonight but i found this,

Mopar Chrysler BB 383 440 Aluminum Removable Cam Plate Timing Chain Cover

Joe
Posted By: LA360

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/15/20 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by sr4440
Ok, I never seen this before tonight but i found this,

Mopar Chrysler BB 383 440 Aluminum Removable Cam Plate Timing Chain Cover

Joe

It's chinese rubbish, I wouldn't touch it myself
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 12:52 AM

Get the one that Andy sells, it is a nice cover.
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 01:30 AM

I started welding 1/8 plate on my stock covers

Attached picture A9D3C7B4-9303-4C00-8FB0-D28CCE6268FE.jpeg
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 06:00 AM

Look into the distributor gear hole alignment. If the drilling on the hole is off it causes gear misalignment that can make them walk something fierce. Todd
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 12:54 PM

We welded a plate like that on our OE cover,
it butts against the pump housing perfectly.

We used the thrust button with a bearing.

Joe
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 02:17 PM

So this is actual first hand experience from using THIS product, correct ?!?!?

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 03:52 PM

Budget. This last redo ate mine!
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 07:19 PM

Engine builder friend of mine had 440 on the dyno and was struggling with the timing. While working with the distributor and the engine running he noticed the timing cover was bowing in and out. Called me and asked for help. I told him I only run the AREngineering billet covers with roller cams. He had no more timing cover deflection with AndyF's product.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 09:05 PM

Whats the big deal with a stop on the cover that touches the pump housing? Not hard. Measure the space and put a piece of material there, done.
Doug

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 09:16 PM

They aren’t that expensive guys. Probably cheaper places to get them possibly without shipping

https://www.manciniracing.com/incaaltico.html

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 09:18 PM

http://store.440source.com/Fabricated-Aluminum-Timing-Cover/productinfo/200-1089/
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 10:29 PM

Here's a pic of our 505 where we welded a 1/8" circle to the cover.
Slight interference fit to the pump housing.

Easy, inexpensive and effective.

Joe

Attached picture IMG_20160107_121200_2.jpg

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/16/20 10:43 PM

Thanks all. Looks like a stock steel cover reinforced and a button will work well. I don't want to put any pressure against the electric waterpump.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/17/20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
Thanks all. Looks like a stock steel cover reinforced and a button will work well. I don't want to put any pressure against the electric waterpump.

If an aluminum cover works, certainly the water pump is stiff enough.
Doug
Posted By: chargerbr549

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/17/20 12:56 AM

I remember a situation that we ran into at work several times over the years was the solid roller cams we were using were pushing forward wreaking havoc on the cam thrust bearing and also chewing up the bronze distributor gears and what we found out that it was group of the cam cores that we got were bad, they messed up when they machined the gear on cam itself causing alot of headache and expense for us as well as the racers. These engines were 450-470 large cubic inch based small block chevy engines.
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/17/20 04:28 PM

I've used a couple of these on flat tappet builds. The bolt holes and especially the dowel holes don't always line up the seal correctly. I've had to drill out the dowel holes and install the damper and then bolt the cover down. And sometimes the the oil pan surface of the timing cover isn't parallel with the block pan rails. All stuff you can work around for the price.

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/17/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Originally Posted by gregsdart

If an aluminum cover works, certainly the water pump is stiff enough.
Doug

Doug, you are probably right. But i have backed my [censored] into a buzzsaw to often to take even small risks.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Big block timing cover, for serious cam thrust? - 05/18/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton

So this is actual first hand experience from using THIS product, correct ?!?!?

A friend's customer supplied one for an engine, similar experience to the 440 source unit mentioned already.

I'd rather spend a little extra and buy something that fits and support my local manufacturing base wherever possible. A part like a timing cover, I would just machine myself.
© 2024 Moparts Forums