Moparts

Thoughts on adjustable strut rods?

Posted By: justinp61

Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 02:46 PM

I'm planning to do a little work on my Dart, the new converter is here but not in yet. Also I'm considering adding adjustable strut rods and sliders to replace the shackles.

Are the adjustable strut rods worth the effort? Do they free up the front suspension much?

The car is a 69 Dart street/strip deal, small block, 727, 3350ish #, has ran 6.40 but should run pretty deep in the .30's if I can get the 60' down.

Thanks.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 03:11 PM

If your front end can freely travel at least 5 inches (gleened from Caltrac tech), the adjustable strut rods will have little or no effect on that. They do benefit the suspensions ability to increase the positive caster by pulling the lower control arm farther forward in relation to the upper control arm. You must be careful not to bring the lower control arm into a bind as it moves through its travel however.

The old Mopar suspension manual has a lot of tried and tested information in it that is still applicable today.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 04:00 PM

Both mods helped me to a 1.33 foot-brakin 60 foot so far so yes on both imo....

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Thumperdart

Who's rods?
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 04:33 PM

What was your 60’ before those mods ?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61

Who's rods?

I bought these rods and I really like them. Braking feels much better as well up
https://www.reillymotorsports.com/Adjustable-Strut-Rod-62-72-B-body.html

Gus beer

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 04:57 PM

Thanks Gus. These are the ones I'm looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/QA1-52311-Dynamic-Strut-Bar/dp/B00COY5L4U
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 05:59 PM

Caltracs now makes adjustable strut rods. A good friend put them on his Stock and Super/Stock Dusters.
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 06:25 PM

I HAVE A BRAND NEW SET OF THOSE QA1 STILL IN BOX I NEVER USED. SOLD MY CAR. I'LL SELL THEM FOR 200.00 SHIPPED.

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JAKE68
I HAVE A BRAND NEW SET OF THOSE QA1 STILL IN BOX I NEVER USED. SOLD MY CAR. I'LL SELL THEM FOR 200.00 SHIPPED.

You have a PM.
Posted By: Ody1003

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 08:57 PM

Question. QA1 strut rods in B-body. Has anyone tried to install these without removing torsion bars etc. By cutting the OEM strut rod out and being able to install the after market QA1? I understand that it can be done? Input. Thanks.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ody1003
Question. QA1 strut rods in B-body. Has anyone tried to install these without removing torsion bars etc. By cutting the OEM strut rod out and being able to install the after market QA1? I understand that it can be done? Input. Thanks.

Cut my old ones out with a Sawzall and put the new ones in but mine are the RMS units. I didn't have to remove anything else for the install.

Gus beer
Posted By: TrackPack

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1DGEMAN
Caltracs now makes adjustable strut rods. A good friend put them on his Stock and Super/Stock Dusters.

Do you have a link for them? I couldn't find them on the Calvert Racing site.

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/06/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by TrackPack

Mancini sells them.
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/07/20 03:14 AM

They are brand new give them a call.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/07/20 11:44 AM

Look at 60's NASCAR front suspension. Where the strut rod cushions were there is an upper ball joint fastened in the K frame. Then a fabricated strut rod is threaded to to the ball joint stud.
Doug
Posted By: TrackPack

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/07/20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61

Mancini sells them.

Thanks!
Posted By: Alchemi

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
Look at 60's NASCAR front suspension. Where the strut rod cushions were there is an upper ball joint fastened in the K frame. Then a fabricated strut rod is threaded to to the ball joint stud.
Doug

Interesting idea, the factory mount is pretty much a caseless BJ, think i would be looking a a particularly chunky one though and frequent inspections..

As the "ideal" result is eliminating the travel arc, I think a replacement system that pivots on the the same centre line as the torsion bar pin is where developers need to be looking
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 11:52 AM

I have the RMS strut rods in my car and have for a long time. They work well. I run the RMS upper arms, RMS strut rods, and poly bushing in the lower arms. With the suspension unloaded you can cycle it through its full travel by hand very easily. When I had poly bushings in the stock upper it was more difficult to move the upper arm by itself than it is to move the whole assembly with the RMS parts. The setup probably has 15000 miles on it now.

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 01:19 PM

Why are we worried about freedom of movement when the shocks need to be tightened down to slow suspension travel speed?
Doug
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Why are we worried about freedom of movement when the shocks need to be tightened down to slow suspension travel speed?
Doug

My thoughts are to let the shock do all the work for the most adjustability. Using the same shocks(lakewood 90/10s) my cars front end movement at the track was vastly improved when I moved to the RMS stuff. I am to a point now where I need adjustable shocks but I just haven't done it yet.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

How else am I supposed to make my super stock springs and pinion snubber work!!!!!........................................................

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 04:23 PM

QA-1.......

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 04:24 PM

Averaged 1.39-1.41......

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 04:28 PM

QA-1.......

up beer

Re: Thoughts on adjustable strut rods? - 05/09/20 06:43 PM

Mine has Afco doubles on the front. They've been revalved 50% tighter. Poly strut rod and lower bushings. Stock rubber upper bushings.Car has 55% on the nose. Many times it gets slowed down to run index. Foot brake only. With that and bracket racing at local tracks it has averaged 1.29 over the last 7 years.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums