Moparts

almost legal flexplate shield b body

Posted By: Clanton

almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/29/20 08:28 PM

I did some mods to at least have 1 on but the mod was not certed.

Attached picture S1120001.JPG
Attached picture S1120002.JPG
Attached picture S1120003.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/29/20 08:46 PM

I’m confused. Is this for your new 400 transmission with the ultra shield. If so you don’t need that shield. I’m lost.

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/29/20 08:53 PM

Oh heck no this is what I took off with the 727
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
I’m confused. Is this for your new 400 transmission with the ultra shield. If so you don’t need that shield. I’m lost.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/29/20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Clanton
Oh heck no this is what I took off with the 727
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Ok I’m up to speed. Floor it.

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/29/20 09:35 PM

I bent over the upper part so it didn't hit the firewall and it is 2" wide and covers the starter ring by 1".I just wanted to pass on the idea,it is better than nothing.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/29/20 11:34 PM

I bent over the upper part so it didn't hit the firewall and it is 2" wide and covers the starter ring by 1".I just wanted to pass on the idea,it is better than nothing.

Just use grade 8 or harder bolts to mount it
wave

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 12:52 AM

I used allen bolts in the top 2 holes and bolts in the others
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 01:02 AM

Mods = dead cert as far as the tech guys are concerned.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 01:20 AM

I used allen bolts in the top 2 holes and bolts in the others

Should use the allens on them all
wave

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 01:25 AM

I did talk to TCI and I would have to send it in to have it certed with mods done to it and it can be done.
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Mods = dead cert as far as the tech guys are concerned.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 06:02 PM

I believe flexplate shields have to be dated 5 years?? and without any modifications, it world probley pass at most tracks

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 09:14 PM

Most tracks just want to see something there but it is hard to see any mods just looking

Attached picture 20170719_163015.jpg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 09:24 PM

It always amazes me when a part doesn't fit a typical installation. And in this case an SFI part that technically should not be modified. At least that modified 727 flexplate shield trys to meet the intent of safety.

I assume that part won't fit 99% of the factory 727 applications...?
And it looks like a typical 727 flexplate shield, so most/all other brands may have the same problem. Anybody have another brand that has the same issue?
(all of my race 727 cars had the CSI/CSR? composite shield that covers both the trans and flexplate areas.)

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 04/30/20 09:36 PM

My fp shield is intended for a roadster/dragster body not a factory body from what I remember and nobody does make 1 that I know of so someone could cut the firewall to fit it but not me and why I did the mod.
Originally Posted by 440Jim
It always amazes me when a part doesn't fit a typical installation. And in this case an SFI part that technically should not be modified. At least that modified 727 flexplate shield trys to meet the intent of safety.

I assume that part won't fit 99% of the factory 727 applications...?
And it looks like a typical 727 flexplate shield, so most/all other brands may have the same problem. Anybody have another brand that has the same issue?
(all of my race 727 cars had the CSI/CSR? composite shield that covers both the trans and flexplate areas.)
Posted By: dvw

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 05/01/20 12:08 PM

I've been racing mine 7 years. Its been to 11 different tracks. Teched numerous times. Car is certed to 8.50. Trans shield, yes. No flywheel shield. Never been questioned. I agree in a stock body the shield is tough to fit.
Doug
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 05/01/20 12:35 PM

the CSR Kevlar shield covers both flywheel and transmission - it has two SFI certs on it - that is the most common one being run - fits most cars if you beat and roll the body seam in the tunnel

What i see more disturbing is that hokey plastic oil pressure line you have on there - I would think about changing that to a braided set-up - Summit sells a nice kit with fittings - would be terrible to watch your car burn up when it melts or breaks because it gets brittle with age
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 05/01/20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
I've been racing mine 7 years. Its been to 11 different tracks. Teched numerous times. Car is certed to 8.50. Trans shield, yes. No flywheel shield. Never been questioned. I agree in a stock body the shield is tough to fit.
Doug
At the track I have seen others that have had the ring gear come apart on their race cars. It peels off (weld failure) and cuts right through the car like a saw. These were SFI items (on Power Glide transmissions). It may go up, down left or right.

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 05/01/20 01:40 PM

I will look into a oil line today.

Re: almost legal flexplate shield b body - 05/01/20 01:56 PM

Even the CF shield will let parts fly
Originally Posted by 440Jim
Originally Posted by dvw
Doug
At the track I have seen others that have had the ring gear come apart on their race cars. It peels off (weld failure) and cuts right through the car like a saw. These were SFI items (on Power Glide transmissions). It may go up, down left or right.
© 2024 Moparts Forums