Moparts

How to find a vacuum leak

Posted By: bobs69

How to find a vacuum leak - 04/12/20 09:47 PM

How do you find a possible vacuum leak around the intake? It’s a Drag car only.
Posted By: sam64

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/12/20 10:00 PM

Oreillys brake parts cleaner with the straw on it,spray a little at a time around ports,carb base. If it sucks in the cleaner rpms will increase.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 01:23 AM

Just make sure it's the flammable kind... some of the cans say it isn't.
I like an UNLIT propane torch for this, or a careful squirt of carb cleaner that is definitely combustible up
Posted By: racerhog

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 01:36 AM

Smoke Test it with a smoke machine... smile
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by sam64
Oreillys brake parts cleaner with the straw on it,spray a little at a time around ports,carb base. If it sucks in the cleaner rpms will increase.

This is all I do.. just make sure its flammable... simple and cheap
wave
Posted By: BSB67

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 10:35 AM

Spraying stuff may or may not find a leak between the intake and head
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 03:00 PM

^^^ yes it may have a leak on the bottom side of the intake & I would think it'd be more likely to happen there than above cuz of the heat/agitation. I'v e thought about introducing it under the valley pan (BB) or under the intake (SB) but that might be dangerous with adding that much flammable agent. EDIT & up top be sure to shield the side of the carbwith a piece of cardboard or paper so the spray dont get sucked into the carb & give you a false positive
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 03:19 PM

Just grab a 2 to 3 foot length of old heater or garden hose, one end to ear, the other to possible leak area. You can tell! Makes a good stethoscope as well.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 03:23 PM

I've had the best luck using water. Get it idling, warm it up, and spray any suspect areas.
The idle slows down when it sucks in even a small amount of water.
Posted By: TJP

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
I've had the best luck using water. Get it idling, warm it up, and spray any suspect areas.
The idle slows down when it sucks in even a small amount of water.

HMM Good idea up I'll try it next time. Part of the issue with brake / carb clean is its flammability on a hot motor. In addition when it evaporates it richens the surrounding air which can lead to one chasing their tail twocents beer
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How to find a vacuum leak - 04/13/20 08:35 PM

I like an UNLIT propane torch for this,

This gets my vote. No mess, Nothing to catch fire. The engine will pick up speed as soon as it sucks in the propane.
© 2024 Moparts Forums