Moparts

chrome 426 hemi valve covers

Posted By: johnzgarage

chrome 426 hemi valve covers - 04/12/20 06:24 PM

Im having trouble trying to mount a pair of cheap chrome 426 hemi valve covers. The felpro double cork gaskets dont fit inside the covers......they appear to be to big ? The gaskets fit the heads nice ,but the covers wont mate with them. The flanged edges/lip of the covers, look like they are made wrong.....am i right ? should i get different covers, or beat the cheap chrome covers to fit ? Has anyone had this problem ?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: chrome 426 hemi valve covers - 04/12/20 06:32 PM

I believe you said the magic word... CHEAP.. I would try another cover.. thats just me
wave
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: chrome 426 hemi valve covers - 04/12/20 07:53 PM

I think you can work with them. You might have to push the gasket under the lip as you go around. You might try to use black weatherstripping on the valve cover and stick the gasket to it before installing.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: chrome 426 hemi valve covers - 04/12/20 11:04 PM

Another thing I have done in these cases it to bolt the valve covers on the gaskets so as to leave the outside lip impressions. Then remove them and trim with a bench grinder. Messy and bit time consuming, but it works.

On most of the cheap stamped valve covers, the metal is so thin that it dimples around the nuts. There are hundreds of different valve cover hold downs to choose from on ebag that will help with that.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: chrome 426 hemi valve covers - 04/12/20 11:58 PM

If the covers fit the head using studs, then see if the gaskets fit the covers and if the hole says line up.

If so then as above - just tuck the gasket in working aroun the cover.

Had to do that many times with wedge and Hemi.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: chrome 426 hemi valve covers - 04/13/20 12:54 PM

Now that I think about it the last time I used those valve covers and those gaskets I did have to get some side cutters and trim them to get them to work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums