Moparts

Vacuum advance Distibutor ??

Posted By: jbc426

Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/10/20 05:39 PM

I'm currently running an MSD Pro-Billet distributor that's locked out with an MSD Digital 6 box. I'd like to replace that distributor with a distributor that I can run locked out, and still have a functioning adjustable vacuum advance.

I'm running 35* timing on the Pro-Billet, but want to add more advance using the vacuum feature for street and highway use.

Any suggestions on which distributor would work best. I see a bunch of ready to run distributors, but would like to keep my MSD Digital 6 box.

A laptop adjustable ignition would be nice, but I need the vacuum advance feature too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/10/20 08:01 PM

Me thinks your want miracles, if it is locked out how can the vacuum advance work work shruggy
I think you need a ECU that can use manifold pressure, throttle position sensors and maybe some other sensors to do what you want like EFI systems use to manage ignition timing scope
Posted By: randavis

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/10/20 11:40 PM

Couldn't you use a stock distributor with one of those advance limiter plates or just weld up the slots in the centrifugal weights and still allow the vacuum advance to move the plate?
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/11/20 06:25 AM

6 AL 2 programmable ?
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/11/20 01:06 PM

this can easily be done. Get a street distributor, (or stock) Lock down the centrifugal weights (weld?), then use the vacuum advance. The vacuum advance, advances the relector/pickup (or points if your are really old).
If you do this the rotor tip needs to be pretty wide, your going to add 45-50 degrees of ignition timing without the rotor advancing. That works out to 22.5-25 angle of degrees and with a terminal every 45 degrees, misfires might be a issue.

Joe

edit MSD sells a adjustable rotor that will help with phasing.
part # 84211
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/11/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sr4440
this can easily be done. Get a street distributor, (or stock) Lock down the centrifugal weights (weld?), then use the vacuum advance. The vacuum advance, advances the relector/pickup (or points if your are really old).
If you do this the rotor tip needs to be pretty wide, your going to add 45-50 degrees of ignition timing without the rotor advancing. That works out to 22.5-25 angle of degrees and with a terminal every 45 degrees, misfires might be a issue.

Joe

edit MSD sells a adjustable rotor that will help with phasing.
part # 84211

I have the MSD adjustable rotor in there already. My phasing was so far off to begin with. Also, the 2 wires coming from the MSD Pro-Billet were swapped from the manufacturer, which didn't help. Once I got all that sorted, I was unable to get stable initial timing as it was bouncing with the light springs being unable to hold the mechanical advance steady at 900 rpm. That's when I experimented with locking out the distributor.

Now that all those issues are resolved and the car being easy to start hot or cold with 35* of timing, I rephased the rotor to line up at that timing setting. I assume I will only be adding 10* to 15* of vacuum advance to it, not the whole 45* or 50*, so there will be much less change in relation to the rotor tip and the terminals.....Right?

I don't have the newer programmable MSD. I'm assuming a programmable ignition system would need input from both a MAP sensor and a TPS to replicate a vacuum advance curve. Can anyone who knows about that sort of stuff confirm that? Rich or Andy would surely know.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/11/20 07:40 PM

The MSD E curve distributor will do what you want but they don't make a big block Mopar version. I used a SB E curve on a 427 inch small block that was set up for road racing. It worked great back in the day. These days I'd use a Sniper and Hyperspark.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/11/20 09:18 PM

Andy, will a MSD grid do what he needs with his current MSD parts?
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Vacuum advance Distibutor ?? - 04/11/20 11:21 PM

yes, your just going to add another 15-18 degrees. being able to advance the rotor should clear up any misfires.

Joe
© 2024 Moparts Forums