Moparts

ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue

Posted By: Since1822

ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/03/20 08:38 PM

Anyone have an issue with the hub bolts on an ATI damper hub being too long and contacting the stock timing chain cover? It is the 917470E damper for stock pulleys. The bolts for the hub seem to be slightly long on the back side.. Never ends lol
Posted By: topside

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/03/20 09:10 PM

I think I saw something about that in either HotRod magazine, or HotRod Garage or maybe Engine Masters (the latter two streaming).
Sorry I can't narrow it down better.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 03:14 AM

I have the same damper and had the same problem. Had to grind the bolts flush with the back side. Check your pulley bolts also, very little clearance if they stick thru the back.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 03:23 AM

Summit offers different sized bolts for this application if you don't want to grind them. They also offer the torx bit if you don't have one.

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 03:25 AM

They also offer the shim that goes behind the damper to space it out if anyone needs that.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Since1822
Anyone have an issue with the hub bolts on an ATI damper hub being too long and contacting the stock timing chain cover? It is the 917470E damper for stock pulleys. The bolts for the hub seem to be slightly long on the back side.. Never ends lol

Yes. I had that exact problem. I had to grind the bolts so they were flush. The just contacted the corner of the raised area that houses the seal. Finding zero crank endplay after the motor was fully assembled with damper on is how it was discovered. Could have been a disaster if not found.
Posted By: KD800X

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 09:41 AM

Had the same problem a few years ago after I had my ATI damper rebuilt. I called them and they sent me shorter bolts.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Summit offers different sized bolts for this application if you don't want to grind them. They also offer the torx bit if you don't have one.

Not sure if this is the same situation, but I recently was working on a brand x engine. The bolts for the ATI damper were separate. They offered the drive bit for sale with the bolts. I have torx bits. Just not the correct torx bits. Had to buy the bit after the fact. The bolts require a torx40+, not the same as a t40, or a tamper proof t40. None of my tool trucks stock that bit, but all can special order them. So, if the tool is offered, get it.

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Not sure if this is the same situation, but I recently was working on a brand x engine. The bolts for the ATI damper were separate. They offered the drive bit for sale with the bolts. I have torx bits. Just not the correct torx bits. Had to buy the bit after the fact. The bolts require a torx40+, not the same as a t40, or a tamper proof t40. None of my tool trucks stock that bit, but all can special order them. So, if the tool is offered, get it.

Ya I ordered two of them years ago just in case. Lol. Don’t forget to locktite those bolts

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 02:24 PM

Info...

Attached picture 2DF3FF1D-356C-45D5-9AE4-E37A7A93226E.jpeg
Posted By: moparx

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 04:18 PM

with one not knowing the difference unless you have the regular and plus fasteners side by side, is there a way to tell by looking which you have ?
in other words, how can you tell at a glance which bit to use on a particular fastener ?
beer

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/04/20 04:55 PM

Image of both...

Attached picture EB6C9924-3B38-4CB6-9083-FB9C3735B7B4.jpeg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/05/20 01:45 PM

I didn't know that about the various Torx fasteners/bit.
I learn something new everyday. scope
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/05/20 02:00 PM

Damn, just when I thought my toolbox was full!
I may need another storage unit....
Joe
Posted By: moparx

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/05/20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
Image of both...

thanks for that blown up pic ! [us old, blind guys appreciate BIG pictures and diagrams ! up]
at what torx size do these plus bits come into play ? size 20 and larger ? smaller than that ? the 20 size in the torx is kind of tough to see for me if it would be a square or round shouldered.
i like a good excuse to buy new tools !
beer
Posted By: Since1822

Re: ATI Balancer/Timing Cover Issue - 04/06/20 11:54 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Apparently ATI makes a spacer as well and that is what we went with. Going to use the Doty pulley and everything should line up with no rubbing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums