Moparts

Ardun on the dyno

Posted By: mickm

Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 01:39 AM

A flathead Ford with Ardun heads and 4 Strombourgs on the dyno. Hopefully I'll get to see it do some pulls tomorrow. I forget, but I think he said that are going for 400+ HP.

Attached picture IMG_6475.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_6474.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_6476.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_6473.jpeg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 01:44 AM

Super cool !
Granted , the box was very small back then.
But Mr. Duntov wasn't just thinking outside of it.
He blew it up.
Posted By: topside

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 02:00 AM

...and what looks like an old Hunt magneto.
That's all very cool !
Posted By: 605ply

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 02:10 AM

..so cool up
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 02:14 AM

Very nice and unique!

What is it going in? drive
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 02:48 AM

I'll be really surprised if it gets close to 400 HP,I was cutting my teeth on hot cars and hot rodding in the early 1960s, lots of Ardun powered street rods got their clocks clean regularly by dual quad 1957 Chevy 283 motors that had been hop up a little in 1957 Chevy bodies shruggy
Those little carbs don't help either.
Do you know which block was used and how many C.I. it has now? Those blocks only had three mains caps, spin them up to far and the pin would fall out of the grenade and go BOOM
Sorry to be a party pooper.
I really hope they break or make over 350HP up
Please keep all of us in the loop luck

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 03:33 AM

It's a 48-52 block, something like that. Dino was saying that the guy doesn't have all the stuff he really needs to make good horsepower, like a good set of headers, etc...

I may be wrong about the HP, I'll find out tomorrow. I'll get a video of a pull and try to remember more of the info on it.

Till then...
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 09:53 AM

I can here that flathead starter in my head.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 10:11 AM

I don’t mean to take anything away from a very cool build, but I would think 400 is extremely optimistic.
Ive never had a chance to look at those heads in person, but I agree with Cab. If the airflow is there, with the small bore/ displacement, you still need RPM to make HP. And as said, three main caps on these blocks. Thats a lot of unsupported crank span!
Very neat engine. Hope his goals are achieved.

Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 10:49 AM

Not an Ardun (yet) but the 290 ci blown FH I built ok up

There's quite a few 325-250HP mild boost, blown FHs getting around that are not Ardun headed.

I built mine with a 4 1/8" crank, H beams, Ross forged slugs and all three studded caps are billet steel. A short fill to the block, I ported it, added 1.6 in/ex valves, a custom blower cam and adjustables. Dual Stromberg WW 2 BBLs, it runs 8lbs of boost on pump 98 down here. Other than a popped head gasket, its been dead nuts reliable and after a recent teardown / inspection the bearings looked brand new smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GY3

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 12:20 PM

The ARDUN heads were originally designed for garbage trucks because the OE flatheads didn't have enough power.

I've never understood the infatuation with the pre-war relic platform. Seems like a lot of trouble for little horsepower.

Then again, people still race horses...
Posted By: Dartari

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 12:31 PM

I still
Originally Posted by GY3
The ARDUN heads were originally designed for garbage trucks because the OE flatheads didn't have enough power.

I've never understood the infatuation with the pre-war relic platform. Seems like a lot of trouble for little horsepower.

Its called cool factor to be different Is still what gives juice to our hobby
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 01:18 PM

There are a couple serious flat head guys up in my neck of the woods and I was gabbing with one just a couple weeks ago.
One of them has a front motor dragster that runs stock blocks and has allegedly run in the 7's.
They use a girdle on the bottom end that essentially is a bottom end in a box........includes the caps and ties into the oil pan rails as well.
I got to work on a couple of them in high school auto shop and the rods were what scared me.
But there is still fairly significant aftermarket support for them , and some die hard fanatics who run them.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dartari
I still
Originally Posted by GY3

Its called cool factor to be different Is still what gives juice to our hobby

I get that and still appreciate the visual art of them. Same with ricers. I can appreciate good work no matter what the platform. Just not for me. I guess it's what you grew up around.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 01:36 PM

Scintilla Vertex?

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 02:21 PM

Looks like it sort of. Heres a gennie...

Attached picture 0044B646-ABAA-4D9C-A474-4B6B68B5B4B2.jpeg
Attached picture DFF9E985-CD37-4A71-8302-21CC8351986B.jpeg
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 03:04 PM

I don’t think you’d want one of these to make 400hp. Very cool though. If it makes 300 or just over, the owner should be happy and it can live a longer happier life. 👍
Posted By: moparx

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 03:57 PM

you can always tell a flathead is under the hood by the starter sound.
and it's a CRIME to run one of them with MUFFLERS ! devil
beer

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 04:31 PM

My only experience with a flat head ford was with my neighbor. He’s building an “A” hotrod. Wanted me to relive the block. I had no idea what he was talking about, until he showed me😀. Turned out nice.

Attached picture F0C50FB8-2D2C-421E-ACAB-348DD849CFCB.jpeg
Attached picture 3326D843-DDCB-4B14-BC1C-0FC9E33CCC3D.jpeg

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 05:03 PM

IDT 400 hp is going to happen.
That exhaust tells me that the cam is mild.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 05:05 PM

I think it's too cool! Just remember, people call us nuts (sometimes we call ourselves nuts) for flying the Mopar flag.

I've seen a guy with a blown flattie in an FED run around here a couple times. IIRC, he did make it into the 9's.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
My only experience with a flat head ford was with my neighbor. He’s building an “A” hotrod. Wanted me to relive the block. I had no idea what he was talking about, until he showed me😀. Turned out nice.

I've actually done a lot of flatheads, and flowed a half dozen or maybe a couple of more and relieving the chamber is bad. Very bad. They also LOVE 50 degree seats.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 06:45 PM

Did it per neighbors request. The head/ piston combo needed less static compression to work with the blower. Definitely not an expert on these! My question to you as it was to him.... How in the ψξεβ do you flow test this??? You need everything in place, and i see no way to put it on a flow bench? What I did came out of some flat head god’s book.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 06:51 PM

Live update!

At the shop now, did the initial breakin, adjusting the valves.

Should have known better than to give a “fact” relying on my few remaining brain cells.

“Owner is hoping for 350hp.” Dino doesn’t think they will get this, lack of headers, questionable head work, etc...

Should have a video and some numbers soon!

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 06:55 PM

Still a cool mill to be proud of.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 07:05 PM

I'm assuming that motor has adjustable lifters, correct?
I remember them days whiney Them bad old days a long time ago whistling
I also remember having and using 5/16 adjustable pushrod in a early Firepower Hemi to se the valves realcrazy
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 07:09 PM

The dyno guy had to do a bunch of fab work just to get that engine ready to go. I'm guessing the bill from the dyno shop is going to be substantial.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mickm
Live update!

Should have known better than to give a “fact” relying on my few remaining brain cells.

“Owner is hoping for 350hp.” Dino doesn’t think they will get this, lack of headers, questionable head work, etc...

290 HP is my guess.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 07:56 PM

W/r/t the old school baloney-sliced ram stacks:
Whoever thought this out paid no attention to physics. Think of the air horn as a needle jet (Mikuni, Amal, Kei-Hin). As speed increases, air velocity across the top of the stack produces vacuum inside the air horn - the opposite of what you want. Might add some air if reversed with the open end forward.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Live update!

290 HP is my guess.

280 first run. Running lean, timing light not working. Attempting to fix both.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Live update!

290 HP is my guess.

If the timing light isn't self powered it won't work with a mag.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
W/r/t the old school baloney-sliced ram stacks:
Whoever thought this out paid no attention to physics. Think of the air horn as a needle jet (Mikuni, Amal, Kei-Hin). As speed increases, air velocity across the top of the stack produces vacuum inside the air horn - the opposite of what you want. Might add some air if reversed with the open end forward.

Agreed haha
But running a flat head is more of a style thing than a performance thing. Airflow with those stacks is not an issue reving your blown flat head in a parking lot grin

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Live update!

290 HP is my guess.

That’s not a bad start 👍.

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/24/20 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
The dyno guy had to do a bunch of fab work just to get that engine ready to go. I'm guessing the bill from the dyno shop is going to be substantial.

Very much so. The project is more than that though. Brought the engine in as is was running horribly, turned out to just be very fouled plugs. But still couldn't get much power out of it, so Dino tore it down, and it had the wrong pistons, sitting way below deck. New pistons and steel main caps added, and now looking to see what it will do. Yes, going to be a hefty bill!

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 12:10 AM

Here is the last dyno sheet of the day. This was after one rejetting step, (have to remove each carb to do the jets), and playing with timing by ear, as it looks like the magneto blew the timing light.

It still appears to be a bit lean, so he's going to go one more step on the jets, get a correct timing light, and see what it will do.

Notice the RPM, and still climbing! But Dino, the owner as well as myself, (even though my vote doesn't count), were scared even taking it that high, and decided not to go higher.

Not bad! Jets and maybe timing should be good for at least a few more HP.

Was very cool hanging out and watching this one get done though, just something different and unique.

Here is one of the pulls.

Here it is in the dyno room.

And while we're at it, here is my engine on the same dyno years ago.

And just for your viewing pleasure,
!

Attached picture IMG_6491.jpeg

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 12:46 AM

That’s a great running little motor. Very cool! What’s it going in?

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by viperblue72
That’s a great running little motor. Very cool! What’s it going in?

Forgot to ask, I'll see if I can find out.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 12:54 AM

Neat old machines, those flatheads. My first car was a '51 Custom 2-door with the V-8. Sweet old car...... boogie

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 05:42 AM

Man am I'm glad you guys didn't hurt anyone or anything with that rocket car, talk about to much power boogiehaha

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Man am I'm glad you guys didn't hurt anyone or anything with that rocket car, talk about to much power boogiehaha

Yeah, that was hilarious! We previously tried it with one engine, didn't do much, so strapped 3 on there.

Boys will play!
Posted By: topside

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 05:51 PM

The Ardun sounds nice, and bigger than it is.
The rocket car is hysterical !
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 09:38 PM

Thank you for taking the time to share this. I enjoyed it
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/25/20 10:24 PM

If it was mentioned I missed it.....

What’s the cubic inch?

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/26/20 01:31 AM

If my memory serves me correct the 1949 to 1953 Ford motors where 239 C.I., the same year Mercury where 254 C.I. I have no idea how much the 4.0 inch stroker cranks add to either motor, CRS on the bore sizes also whiney
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/26/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
If my memory serves me correct the 1949 to 1953 Ford motors where 239 C.I., the same year Mercury where 254 C.I. I have no idea how much the 4.0 inch stroker cranks add to either motor, CRS on the bore sizes also whiney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_flathead_V8_engine

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/26/20 03:07 AM

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/m-table-c.htm#flathead

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/26/20 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
If it was mentioned I missed it.....

What’s the cubic inch?

Around 280ci. I don't remember exactly, but somewhere in the 280's.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 03/26/20 01:42 PM

back in the late 40's-early '50's 300+ real horsepower would have been a big deal. put that engine in a 2000lb or less roadster and you could have a real hot rod for it's time era.

several years ago a friend gave me some early hot rod mags. I found them to be a real gas to read. one of the mags is Hot Rod Your Car, copyright was 1952. back then Racer Brown was the tech editor for Hot Rod magazine. they go thru all the American engines at the time and it really gives an insight on how these guys did things with virtually no tech. to know what I know now and to have a time machine.
Posted By: 1968fury

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 05/09/20 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by TRENDZ

I've actually done a lot of flatheads, and flowed a half dozen or maybe a couple of more and relieving the chamber is bad. Very bad. They also LOVE 50 degree seats.

Wrong very wrong. On a full race or blown flathead there are benefits to relieving. Don't believe me check out joe abbins books he does extensive flow testing.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 05/09/20 02:35 PM

Nice, it even sounds like a Hemi!

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 05/09/20 06:58 PM

I still want someone to explain how they flow test these. No answer on that one yet.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Ardun on the dyno - 05/09/20 08:41 PM

One guys approach. Others have cut up a scrap block so they can set the cylinder on top of the flow bench. Others have made a model cylinder out of wood and put in metal valve seats to experiment with seat angles and machined a test head out of plexiglass.

Attached picture ffb.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums