Moparts

Ring gap goof

Posted By: Wirenut

Ring gap goof - 03/23/20 11:31 PM

So what’s the largest second ring gap you ever ran because you daydreamed while filing ? Let’s say it was a 12 -1 rb bracket motor no power adders.
I know I can get a replacement. Just curious
G
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/23/20 11:39 PM

I've used them with .050 on the stock top rings and more on the second rings with no issuesup
I now make sure I have at least .020 on the top rings with .024 or bigger on the second ring with no power adder, I do add .006 to both rings or more onto the blown gas street motors I build to both rings, depending on the heads and carb sizes and expected power levels up (I've used .026 on the top ring and .034 on the second rings on a N/A B1 motor with a 4.495 (EDITED blush) bore size) that made 920+ HP on race gas on the dyno breaking it in with good results with no vacuum pump work I use the .0045 per 1 inch diameter on the top ring and .0050+ on the second ring on N/A drag race motors up
It is way better to have .003 + to much end gap than .0001 to little work twocents
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/24/20 11:13 AM

I agree with those numbers. I just built a motor with stock size rings. They were not ordered to file to fit. The top was .013 on a 4.360 bore. I had to file to get my .020. Just goes to show that you check everything.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/24/20 02:20 PM

B1 motor with a 4.995 bore size)

Cab, I think you need to tell us more about this engine.
Posted By: W2-408

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/24/20 06:03 PM

FWIW I don't even run a second ring at all on my 11.7:1 small block, and have the oil rings crimped down to really low tension. No vacuum pump, just the pan evac system. Going on the 3rd season without touching it and it still makes just as much power as it did when it was fresh, and doesn't use any oil.

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/24/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
B1 motor with a 4.995 bore size)

Cab, I think you need to tell us more about this engine.

Dang my fingers and pour proof reading blush I fix it up It was and is 4.495 bore size up

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/25/20 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by W2-408
FWIW I don't even run a second ring at all on my 11.7:1 small block, and have the oil rings crimped down to really low tension. No vacuum pump, just the pan evac system. Going on the 3rd season without touching it and it still makes just as much power as it did when it was fresh, and doesn't use any oil.

Really?

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/25/20 05:35 PM

I tried removing the stock 5/16 second ring from my old NHRA stocker legal 1970 street hemi, it didn't go any faster and it started oiling the plugs after one run, not fouling them but making them shiny whiney

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/25/20 05:47 PM

It would never occur to me to do that or that it would work!

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/25/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wirenut
It would never occur to me to do that or that it would work!

Rumors and trash talk in the pits between runs, some guys will lie to you to see if you will buy it, I did realcrazy
Now I know better, learning by doing sometimes make you go backwards before you figure out which way to go to make more power or how to go faster shruggy
The good thing about learning that way is you never forget it whistling
All knowledge is good, even when it doesn't do what you hope for work up
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/25/20 06:16 PM

I was gonna try it but I figured I wanted the piston stability more
wave
Posted By: moparx

Re: Ring gap goof - 03/26/20 02:39 PM

piston stability was on my mind as well, but i'm not an engine builder, just an assembler.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums