Moparts

Distributor drive bushing question

Posted By: mickm

Distributor drive bushing question - 03/04/20 10:42 PM

I replaced my bronze drive gear and the bushing. There is about 50 miles on this, and you can see that the bushing is already scored. The underside of the driver gear is scored as well, I can feel it when I run my finger nail across it. When I installed the new gear, it was well lubed with oil, and I used assembly grease on the contact area between the gear and bushing.

Thing is, my old one was like this too, old bushing and gear. Not long after the engine was together I found it, and the wear seemed significant, so I installed a very thin washer between the two, and all was well from then on.

Should this be wearing like this? Seems that if I have two doing the same thing it is normal, but I wouldn't think this would happen.

Attached picture IMG_6435.jpeg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Distributor drive bushing question - 03/05/20 02:04 AM

Roller cam or not?
How much cam end play with new bushing and how much now?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Distributor drive bushing question - 03/05/20 04:50 AM

so I installed a very thin washer between the two, and all was well from then on.
what about repeating that with a new bushing/same thickness washer?
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Distributor drive bushing question - 03/05/20 11:44 AM

Replace the bushing, have the drive gear faced (remove material to match the thickness of the washer .032”.) Use a precision hardened washer between the two parts. Two similar metals should not be in contact with each other.
Mcmaster Carr #5909K44 $1.10
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Distributor drive bushing question - 03/05/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
Replace the bushing, have the drive gear faced (remove material to match the thickness of the washer .032”.) Use a precision hardened washer between the two parts. Two similar metals should not be in contact with each other.

BINGO !! Bronze gear against bronze bushing = severe wear. Use a washer from a torrington bearing - any bearing supply house will have them.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Distributor drive bushing question - 03/05/20 04:51 PM

Hard thrust washer(s). Check, adjust and correct the end play with the washer stack while doing it.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Distributor drive bushing question - 03/06/20 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
Originally Posted by TRENDZ

BINGO !! Bronze gear against bronze bushing = severe wear. Use a washer from a torrington bearing - any bearing supply house will have them.

Yup, that makes sense. Will do that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums