Moparts

Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger

Posted By: Sammy

Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/23/20 11:09 PM

Total timing advance is 35* locked out.when I drill a hole in the distributor and have my timing mark lined up on crank trigger, my rotor should be on the leading edge of #1 sparkplug.
How close will i be without the car running?
Will it change once i check with the timing light with the car running or should i be good to go?
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/23/20 11:49 PM

I use an old cap. Hole in the top of the cap, large enough to see what you're looking at. Look in the hole with the timing light, engine on. Rotor tab should be at the leading edge of the terminal in the cap. Move the distributor to fix the phasing. Move the crank trigger pick up to fix the timing.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 12:16 AM

Unless you're running nitrous, or boost, or a ton of start retard where you're pulling a lot of timing, point it dead at the post running, with the timing light.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 01:03 AM

Put the engine at 35 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke, point the crank trigger sensor at the center of a magnet, point the rotor at #1 tower and then fire it up. Once it is running double check the timing with a timing light and then shine the timing light into the hole in the cap to make sure the rotor is pointed at #1 tower.

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
I use an old cap. Hole in the top of the cap, large enough to see what you're looking at. Look in the hole with the timing light, engine on. Rotor tab should be at the leading edge of the terminal in the cap. Move the distributor to fix the phasing. Move the crank trigger pick up to fix the timing.

Which leading edge? Towards #8 or #2 edge on the #1 plug. I always forget. Old age.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 02:34 AM

I drilled a 3/8" hole in my dist cap centered under #1 plug wire, painted a white mark on the rotor centered on the electrode. After I have the timing set (engine running) with the crank trigger, I set the rotor phasing, looking into the hole in the dist cap w/ the timing light. I leave the dist cap with the hole in it on the race engine. I have found that it doesn't hurt a thing.

Brian
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sammy

Which leading edge? Towards #8 or #2 edge on the #1 plug. I always forget. Old age.

Don't worry about leading or trailing edges. Just line everything up point to point and then fire it up and check it. That way you'll know what you are looking at. Once you know what you are looking at you can tweak it.
Posted By: dart games

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 05:39 AM

im sure this is the same with th old direct connection crank trigger with the dual plug distributors i have
Posted By: JMCarter

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 09:59 AM

This is what I use...check all the “instructions” tab for info

http://www.madcapracing.com/instructions/rotor.shtml

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 06:54 PM

Didn't work. Try this.

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/conte...hasing-article-msd-ignition#.XlQW0vQkq1s

I assume you are using a distributor with a solid shaft or the advance locked. Using an electronic retard will influence this adjustment.

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/24/20 11:39 PM

Didn't work. Try this.

I assume you are using a distributor with a solid shaft or the advance locked. Using an electronic retard will influence this adjustment.

I have a start retard.
I'm wondering if 1200 rpms makes a difference to phasing the rotor?

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/25/20 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sammy
Didn't work. Try this.

I have a start retard.
I'm wondering if 1200 rpms makes a difference to phasing the rotor?

Not as long as there is no advance function in the distributor.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/25/20 03:19 PM

I need to phase mine...It's possible to see #1 on the distributor, can I use use any terminal on the distributor as long I clip the timing light on the corresponding plug wire?

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/25/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Adobedude
I need to phase mine...It's possible to see #1 on the distributor, can I use use any terminal on the distributor as long I clip the timing light on the corresponding plug wire?

I don't see why not, but #1 is up front at the 5:00 position if it's wired right and should be easy to get to and see through a hole in the top.
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/26/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Adobedude

I don't see why not, but #1 is up front at the 5:00 position if it's wired right and should be easy to get to and see through a hole in the top.

it doesn't matter where #1 is front, back, left or right. as long as the firing order is right

Re: Phasing rotor with MSD Crank Trigger - 02/26/20 01:13 AM

True, but my OCD requires me to put them on in the factory configuration, Easy to know what's what without looking. As long as it's factory firing order. Plus, if the pump shaft is in it right, it can only be correct or 180 out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums