Moparts

CARB SOAK

Posted By: 493_DART

CARB SOAK - 02/22/20 03:44 AM

Hey guys, ..anyone have an alternative to the big gallon of solvent---the stuff you soak carburetor parts in ??

Im guessing someone has came up with a home-brew concoction that works good ??
Posted By: Twostick

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/22/20 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by 493_DART
Hey guys, ..anyone have an alternative to the big gallon of solvent---the stuff you soak carburetor parts in ??

Im guessing someone has came up with a home-brew concoction that works good ??

Nothing works as good as the old stuff, MEK. Not available for consumer use anymore.

Problem was it can't tell the difference between carburetor gunk and humans.

It could make the nastiest, grimiest carb look like new again tho.

Kevin
Posted By: jwb123

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/22/20 05:13 AM

I will tell you what I use now. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from ebay, and I use a solution of water, aluminum wheel cleaner and purple power cleaner. 15 minutes and the carb is as clean as it is going to get. Rinse it in water, and blow dry. No stink, and it seems to clean very well. The ultrasoni cleaner is also great for small parts like bolts, rocker arms, rods, etc. The only issue with carbs is, that if you leave a carb in too long, it can lossen the lead plugs in a carb, so don't over do it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLSTAR-PERFORMANCE-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Small-1-Gallon-Capacity-ALL10640/233489618516?hash=item365d10d654:g:aMkAAOSwdnNePwqt
Posted By: skrews

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/22/20 06:47 AM

Always wanted to try acetone. No idea if any good as carb cleaner though.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/22/20 05:12 PM

there are some good utube vids on this, one used a HF sonic cleaner & the simple green (aluminum) formula.
Posted By: 64 Sportfury

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/23/20 01:04 AM

Edelbrock recommends parts cleaner or lacquer thinner. I just did one in lacquer thinner. Came out great.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/23/20 02:51 PM

You guys using chemicals, like lacquer thinner need to protect your asses...Wear gloves and the proper respirator with the corresponding cartridge.
Bare skin and cloth masks...Uh oh.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/26/20 02:24 AM

Barrymans B12 is the best, add a little methelene chloride and you are good to go, put a little glycol on the top to keep any stink out of your shop. MEK evaporates too fast. Tim
Posted By: A/MP

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/27/20 04:28 AM

painters gun and brush cleaner. In a metal 5 gallon pail and let it soak for days. Softens polyester and epoxy paints. Just like any product, temp is key. Keep it off the cold floor. Workbench top helps.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/27/20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jwb123
I will tell you what I use now. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from ebay, and I use a solution of water, aluminum wheel cleaner and purple power cleaner. 15 minutes and the carb is as clean as it is going to get. Rinse it in water, and blow dry. No stink, and it seems to clean very well. The ultrasoni cleaner is also great for small parts like bolts, rocker arms, rods, etc. The only issue with carbs is, that if you leave a carb in too long, it can lossen the lead plugs in a carb, so don't over do it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLSTAR-PERFORMANCE-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Small-1-Gallon-Capacity-ALL10640/233489618516?hash=item365d10d654:g:aMkAAOSwdnNePwqt

This is what I am about to do for our shop. We are looking at trying to find the right size (and quality) ultrasonic cleaner for fasteners and carbs. Thought about buying a tumbler as well, to provide a nice finish on nuts and bolts and fasteners after ultrasonic cleaning.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: CARB SOAK - 02/28/20 03:09 PM

Ultrasonics do a great job. Import machines don't hold up that well. Their beat drops due to cheaper components. You need a large enough machine to be able to sunmerge the complete body. That now starts to get costlly. Check with stateside manufacturer of solutions for the best choice for product selection. If this is a 1 shot deal, solvent claening is the best overall choice..
© 2024 Moparts Forums