Moparts

Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks

Posted By: MadMopars

Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/19/20 09:31 PM

My question is basically this... At what spring pressure do you need to get away from the 2 and 4 groove valve locks? I'm about to install a set of Isky 8005A springs at 1.85" with around .540 lift. Should be about 375# on the nose although I need to confirm that. That being said, are the 2 and 4 groove Comp locks a bad idea? Anyone else running the 2 and 4 groove locks with the higher spring pressures? Just trying to decide if I need to bite the bullet and get some Ferrea valves heading this way at some point... As always, appreciate the help! -Trent
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 01:04 AM

If your going to have less than 600Lb.opened don't worry twocents
If your wanting to rev it over 7000 RPM buy all new GOOD valve up
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 01:21 AM

factory 2 piece valves?

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by lewtot184
factory 2 piece valves?

That's a possibility... Although, I believe they were replaced at one point they do look similar to a factory valve in design. Assuming that's the case, does that become a high risk at these pressures? shruggy

Attached picture 0219201928~2.jpg
Attached picture 0219201921b~2.jpg

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
If your going to have less than 600Lb.opened don't worry twocents
If your wanting to rev it over 7000 RPM buy all new GOOD valve up

Cab, These are going on the 413 with that old school Crower cam (105LSA). If I shift it above 6000 RPM it would probably only be because I missed a gear. I don't see it being a high RPM motor, at least not intentionally... Lol.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 03:02 AM

those are 2 piece. i'd be afraid of popping the head off of them with modern springs and lobes. I use one piece on everything anymore; although a 2 piece will work ok in some of the milder builds . the ferrea 5000 series valves aren't expensive and should be pretty safe for what your doing.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 06:25 PM

Friction welding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLeEJAE5LU
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 06:28 PM

Thats good info, I had always wondered the limitations, but im afraid I will continue with F5000-s on everything mild.

If a oem valve popped off at 2k or even idel id be the one it happens to. Im not that lucky.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/20/20 06:30 PM

I've bent more valves form over revving them than I have had break work shruggy

Re: Acceptable spring pressures with 2 and 4 groove locks - 02/22/20 05:47 PM

So, after soaking on it for a few days, I wish I had bought new valves from day one. However, I think I'm going to go ahead and assemble the heads with the valves I have and leave the inner springs out for the cam break in. Reason being, before I can really even beat on the truck I am supposed to follow McLeods break procedure for the new clutch, although that's a whole other debate... I also need to finish building the Dana to take the place of one legged 9". Suffice to say, it'll be a bit before I get to really start beating on the thing. When the time comes to put the inner springs back in, I may swap out the valves worth a set of Ferreas. Until then, I'm going to try to keep making forward progress on the thing so I go back to moving it around under its own power and stop pushing the damn thing around. Lol.
© 2024 Moparts Forums