Moparts

solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ?

Posted By: moparx

solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/16/20 06:27 PM

as the title suggests, when using solid engine mounts [whether motor plate or block ears - this is big block if it matters], what is the preferred automatic transmission mount ?
polyurethane or rubber, and why ?
as always, TIA guys ! bow up
beer
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/16/20 06:43 PM

I went with the PST urethane mount and wish I would of done it years ago after the rubber would deteriorate after a few years and sag......
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/16/20 06:50 PM

I've been using solid engine mounts and a poly trans mount for years.
Thinking about going back to rubber isolator and a strut on the engine, getting old I guess whistling
Posted By: Tig

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/16/20 07:27 PM

Ears, a poly 'box mount and fore / aft limiters. Been this way since I installed a 440 in '94up
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/17/20 12:29 AM

Rubber on the tranny mounts as that was the only option back when I put my last car together in 2002 .
My current SP CM tube chassis car has a aluminum front motor plate with a bolt in mid plate and a rubber mount on the Powerglide tranny shruggy
I'm building a new 1965 Dart back half car that is certified to 7.50 ET but I have not dealt with the tranny mount yet, I'm thinking of using a solid front and mid plate and no tranny mount on either a Powerglide or a all out Pro Trans 727 SS trans shruggy
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/17/20 02:59 AM

I have a motor plate and poly trans mount in my Valiant.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/17/20 04:39 AM

When using solid engine mounts, you have to have some give, as the car and the chassis flexes a little. I run a poly mount, they seem to hold up the best. As mentioned the rubber ones don't hold up well. And when I was young and dumb, I tried a solid rear mount, did not work out well, kept pulling the threads out of the tail housing where the mount bolted. I have even seen solid rear mounts break a tail housing.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/17/20 05:07 AM

I'm the different one, I've been using both solid engine mounts and solid trans mounts for the last 35 years. Currently running motor plate and solid PG rear mounts. The biggest engine I've run in this configuration was 650HP.
Posted By: racerx

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/17/20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Rubber on the tranny mounts as that was the only option back when I put my last car together in 2002 .
My current SP CM tube chassis car has a aluminum front motor plate with a bolt in mid plate and a rubber mount on the Powerglide tranny shruggy
I'm building a new 1965 Dart back half car that is certified to 7.50 ET but I have not dealt with the tranny mount yet, I'm thinking of using a solid front and mid plate and no tranny mount on either a Powerglide or a all out Pro Trans 727 SS trans shruggy

Even in a 25 series chassis ,there still needs to be a poly/rubber tranny mount?
Posted By: moparx

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/17/20 04:43 PM

i know there should be one or the other mounts due to the risk of tailshaft damage, and i thought the poly mount might win out due to the quality, or lack thereof, of the reproduction rubber mount.
thanks for the responses guys !
beer

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/17/20 06:30 PM

One item I didn't mention is that I run a JW trans case including a JW tail shaft housing. I'm sure there's extra strength there.
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/18/20 01:37 AM

Since I have AndyF's front Motor Plate, I used the Poly Trans Mount, but I still have dual Fore/Aft limiters...I guess time will tell.

my 2 cents...Mark
Posted By: racerx

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/18/20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blucuda413
One item I didn't mention is that I run a JW trans case including a JW tail shaft housing. I'm sure there's extra strength there.

curios on what chassis this is in? Stock/probuilt?

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/18/20 10:08 PM

Car is 68 Notch. Everything from trans cross member to rear of car was professionaly built by Alston ages ago. Now has full cage. Had stock front suspension for years but recently changed and added Lamb struts to front frame. It's pretty stiff.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/19/20 01:21 PM

I use a poly trans mount. Same one has been on the car for 23 years now. I've always been told not to run a solid trans mount so you have some amount of "give", but can't argue w/ blucuda's success. up Every time I've seen someone locally try that, they ended up cracking the trans case.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: solid motor mounts - poly or rubber trans mount ? - 02/19/20 06:24 PM

ALL cars flex... any two points is a straight line buy if you add a third point it doesnt mean its still a
straight line.. same thing goes on a car.. you need to have one point that will give..if not you will break
the weakest point.. I run the front motor plate and a mid plate with a rubber trans mount
wave
© 2024 Moparts Forums