Moparts

heads

Posted By: New school

heads - 02/01/20 02:28 AM

Does anyone on here know what they are talking about? What heads work good on the 440. And I don’t want your guesses. I am talking about facts real world knowledge. I got my ls to 650 hp without even really trying. That kind of real knowledge. I have heard the trickflow 240 heads work good anyone had any luck with these. I do love the mopars just seems no one is giving facts.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: heads - 02/01/20 02:30 AM

popcorn

Kevin

Re: heads - 02/01/20 02:33 AM

Waking you guys up is as hard as waking up those 440 heads lol
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: heads - 02/01/20 02:42 AM

Can anyone on here help you work whistling
Probably not seeing that you already know what you want work
Do you want to race a Mopar BB with some stock fitting type heads for money with your high HP LS motor? devil
If so I'm ready up grin
Posted By: topside

Re: heads - 02/01/20 02:43 AM

There are plenty of people here who know what they're talking about.
The way you phrased your post isn't the best way to get info.
I've personally used both Edelbrocks & Stealths on a couple of my street/strip cars, though I wasn't shooting for 650HP.
They were fine with a little work, though I prefer the Stealths for their near-stock (sneaky) appearance.
The Trick Flows seem to have a pretty good reputation, but I haven't used them.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: heads - 02/01/20 02:48 AM

Built several engines with ported 906, Indy heads 440-1, and EZ heads, my personal race engine has the Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads, mainly because Russ told me one time I could never build a 9 second car without buying his parts. Well my car has went 9.64, and has no Indy parts on it. I have never ran B-1 heads, I hear they are the best. The Indy 440-1 I believe will make more power than the Edelbrock victor Jr. My engine with the Victor Jr's made 720 HP @ 512 CID. I have seen and built several 440 based engines over 800HP, all had Indy heads. Heads are the biggest factor in making HP, but not the only thing, when you want to go over 700HP you have to have a lot of ducks in a row for it all to work. You asked, just my opinion. Lots of guys on here most likely know more than me.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: heads - 02/01/20 03:49 AM

What heads work good on the 440

To do what? Pull a milk truck?
Land speed record?

Re: heads - 02/01/20 04:48 AM

So my situation is I am trying to fix my dads 69 road runner. The wiring is 50 years old, he had it rebuilt 10 years ago but never drove it as he never had time. So on top of wiring gaskets all leak as they have dryer out. The motor has about 2000 miles on it. I took him for a ride in my ta this year and he loved it he loves power. He had a stroke and if he gets his license back would be great if the old bird had a little jamb to her. It is a four speed I believe they put the six barrel cam in it so a more aggressive cam would be okay but looking for a smooth idle. Hoping you Mopar guys could help me out. Will the 240 trickflow heads bolt on and make more power or is this just good advertising. Again not my car just wanna do something cool for my dad. Was also wondering about the Rack and pinion steering. Thought this might be move comfortably for him as he had a stroke and that finger steering leaves no feel for the road. Thanks guys

Re: heads - 02/01/20 05:05 AM

The trans am is not a race car just a street car. Not a power machine like yours. Haven’t had it to the track yet as it kept burning up torque converters went though two converters in 400km not fun or cheep. But tci guaranteed that last transmission and torque converter. They made me a custom torque converter and trans this time. I would highly recommend them while they where not quick they didn’t leave me high and dry and warranted there product. The small Chevy rear end would never hold up to racing a Mopar lol
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: heads - 02/01/20 05:42 AM

I 'll be your huckleberry..........
You can build 600 Hp with virtually any 440 head ever made with enough time, money and know how. The question is how you do it. ALL of the aftermarket heads will do it. Most with ease. Questions that need asked are as follows

1) what parts do you presently have? Be specific. It was gone through but by whom and what parts were used? The more info you give us the better advice you will get.
2) what is the budget?
3) We know it is a 440 in a Road Runner. But if this is for street stomping is it to be pump gas? or race gas? Do you know how to adjust valves? What gear in the back? If for the back road 500, what is to be done about brakes, steering, cooling and exhaust?
There are about 50 questions that I could ask you before we get to what specific cylinder head. There is a bounty of people here and on other sites like this one who can and will help you with advice. If you are new to old Mopars welcome. But advice given here or anywhere totally depends on how much information you can provide and how you choose to use it Slow your roll a bit
Just saying
Posted By: AndyF

Re: heads - 02/01/20 05:44 AM

Ask good questions and you'll get good answers........
Posted By: tubtar

Re: heads - 02/01/20 08:07 AM

You seem like a pretty bright fella...........Give these a try.
I know they will make horsepower , but I think it will take your special breed of insight and genius to make them work on a 440.
https://www.sonnysracingengines.com...big-duke-18-degree-as-cast-pontiac-heads
Posted By: BSB67

Re: heads - 02/01/20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick
popcorn

Kevin

2x
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: heads - 02/01/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by New school
The trans am is not a race car just a street car. Not a power machine like yours. Haven’t had it to the track yet as it kept burning up torque converters went though two converters in 400km not fun or cheep. But tci guaranteed that last transmission and torque converter. They made me a custom torque converter and trans this time. I would highly recommend them while they where not quick they didn’t leave me high and dry and warranted there product. The small Chevy rear end would never hold up to racing a Mopar lol

You should have your tools *and* computer taken away. I hope your dad gets better soon. Clearly he is the brains of your operation lol. Thanks for trolling our little community!

10 to 1 that 650hp ls makes 350rwhp too!
Posted By: BradH

Re: heads - 02/01/20 02:36 PM

Wow... a total of 5 posts on this site and the OP has managed already to pi$$ off or alienate the masses.

Re: heads - 02/01/20 06:07 PM

On your deal I would choose the 440 Source heads for your motor, also if your up for changing the cam get one with both more lift and duration at .050 lifter rise and learn how to degree it up scope
Does the car have power brakes? If so be careful on the cam selection, stay away from close lobe separation angle cams and any grind that has more than 245 degrees at .050 on a 110 lobe separation angle or tighter like 108 tsk
I was not aware that Pontiac had use the LS motors in any of their production T/A cars confused But I'm not a GM type of guy other than using them for beating up at the track devil
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: heads - 02/01/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by New school
Does anyone on here know what they are talking about? What heads work good on the 440. And I don’t want your guesses. I am talking about facts real world knowledge. I got my ls to 650 hp without even really trying. That kind of real knowledge. I have heard the trickflow 240 heads work good anyone had any luck with these. I do love the mopars just seems no one is giving facts.

I think it's great you want to do something for your dad who's had a stroke. 650 horsepower might not be the nicest thing you could do for him. But if you wish to go there, I would start with this publication. Some great facts for you there.

AndyF Mopar book on engines.

Re: heads - 02/01/20 08:06 PM

All 1969 Mopar cars had wiring issues, all of them puke
One of the main issues was the alternator feed wire going through the firewall bulkhead connector and the inner nuts getting loose on the amp gauge, loose = high resistance which results in meltdowns and fires
Clean the connectors, both sides, and both wiring harnesses and clean and tighten the amp meter connections. Use non conducting grease on the plug in connections to stop corrosion also wrench
I wonder how my 335 HP 383 4 sped in my 1969 Dart GTS would do against your T/A work grin
It is down on power a little(380 HP) due to me making it street and pump gas friendly for a friend I sold it to back in 2002 before moving up here to Oregon, he sold it back to me in 2007. I have another motor in the shop that would wake that rascal up a little,750+ HP on 92 octane pump swill devil
That would be a exercise in futility due to the little tires on the back of that car tsk
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: heads - 02/01/20 10:33 PM

The most important thing to learn is how to build torque where your dad will drive it. Put a 600 hp cam in a 440 and it will be a pig till WAY PAST the fun driving rpm. Personally i would shoot for max torque from 2500 to 4000 rpm and don't worry about hp. It is a lot more fun to drive a car that will pin you in the seat at 2500 rpm than one you have to rev the pee out of. Things that improve torque are maximizing compression and timing, getting the jetting right, exhaust improvements, rear gear change( not too much though!) And as far as cylinder heads go, some standard port aftermarket heads with bowl work and a closed combustion chamber. Getting the piston to head distance to .050 or a touch less adds torque.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: heads - 02/02/20 12:07 AM

I know protocol is "be polite", but... don't you have squirrel radar that beeps when someone posts what he wrote?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: heads - 02/02/20 12:28 AM

Is that like the guy with the stock 78 Z28 that ran 11's? laugh2 Seriously, 650HP for an old man (and I say that with the utmost respect) that has had a stroke? Jeebus, I hope my kids never do me that way.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: heads - 02/02/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
I know protocol is "be polite", but... don't you have squirrel radar that beeps when someone posts what he wrote?

haha

popcorn This is the indicator light to go with the beep.

Kevin
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: heads - 02/02/20 11:38 AM

OK...its 5:34 am here in Texas and I just spit coffee on the keyboard over this thread cause I thought EVERYONE on this board knew what they were talking about...jeez... laugh2 boogie beer laugh2
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: heads - 02/02/20 01:09 PM

Worst thing you can do is try to compare that 440 to that LS. Completely different animals that want different things to go fast. Also, most people I've met who "want" 650hp have either never had it, or find out very quickly they made a mistake. In most cars its simply too much on the street even for spirited drivers.

I hope you get that 69 squared away, 68-70 RRs are my favorite.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: heads - 02/02/20 01:56 PM

LS swap roadrunner
Posted By: moparlulu

Re: heads - 02/02/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
LS swap roadrunner
😂😂😂 Winner!
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: heads - 02/04/20 01:17 PM

Why not a G3 Hemi that will surpass the LS? LS are great in your typical mobile home park type Camaros and Chevelles, I would agree.
© 2024 Moparts Forums