Moparts

Trans brake experience solicited

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Trans brake experience solicited - 01/25/20 08:32 PM

As I look towards next steps with my car, I’m considering a trans-brake but I’m not really sure if it is in line with what I’m trying to do. So I’m looking for experienced input on one simple question:
Are you more consistent with a trans-brake than you are on the footbrake?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/25/20 11:04 PM

Trans brake can be hard on stuff. That was the end of our 8.75 in both cars due to axles twisting. Rather than upgrade axles and spools we stepped up to Dana’s. Converters were also upgraded to prevent ballooning. Overlooked this on the Mirada and it wiped out the thrust surface on the crank. Both of our cars were ladder bar so that was a go... might be trickier on leafs. I feel the tbrake is more consistent.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/26/20 12:30 AM

I have run my car off the foot brake and trans brake. As far as consistency, I saw no difference.

If I am not doing well hitting the tree a brake won't help.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/26/20 12:37 AM

Have done both for years and never really noticed a difference in parts breakage between the two. I run fairly loose converter and a glide so maybe that softens the hit some. I video my passes in car and you can't tell much of a difference between me footbraking at 2600-2800 and trans braking at 3500. Car slows up about .02 footbraking at a lower RPM but that's about it.

As far as consistency, you can be just as good at footbraking as you can with a trans brake, BUT the trans brake can remove a few variables that will make you more consistent IF you are not real good at footbraking.

Especially if you use a delay box.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/26/20 01:20 AM

I also had both and the thing I liked about the trans brake was it made my car more consistent smash the button car is at the same rpm also with the brake I think it helps because my experience with it was suspension is in a neutral position while staging vs footbraking.
Now getting used to cutting a good light is definitely a learning curve without using a delay box
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/26/20 04:24 AM

More consistent? Like many things, depends. You really have to optimize the combination for what you are doing. Converter set up, carb, brakes, suspension, etc..

Driver consistency is more of a factor. Can you consistently footbrake the car the same every time or will you benefit from just needing to get your thumb off the button with the RPM being the same every time.

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/26/20 06:10 AM

I’m feel pretty confident footbraking, but I’m always looking to improve. I already use a 2-step, so controlling the RPM’s isn’t an issue. I’m mostly just wondering if it’s easier to be consistent with the smaller muscles in your hand than the bigger muscles of your leg. I don’t really care about performance, as I already know a Tbrake won’t typically improve performance much. Like my OP asked, just wondering if you’ve found it easier to be consistent with a button than a pedal.
popcorn
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/26/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by StealthWedge67
Like my OP asked, just wondering if you’ve found it easier to be consistent with a button than a peddle.
popcorn

Yes.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/26/20 09:58 PM

X2 on the yes

If you do go with a brake 1 thing to consider is that the A & A brake I used you have to hold the button to use reverse so I had 2 buttons mounted because it was tricky backing up while button was on the steering wheel just FYI
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/29/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 67mprfan
If you do go with a brake 1 thing to consider is that the A & A brake I used you have to hold the button to use reverse so I had 2 buttons mounted because it was tricky backing up while button was on the steering wheel just FYI
My Compuflow PG brake is the same way (their external solenoid brake). I mounted a toggle switch to the TB circuit to make backing up while turning the steering wheel easier. Don't have to use the button for backing up anymore. If I am just going straight backwards, the steering wheel button gets the job done.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/29/20 08:33 PM

Not worth the expense over your current program. Spend that money on entry fees instead.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/29/20 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Triple Threat
Not worth the expense over your current program. Spend that money on entry fees instead.

Exactly what he said, you can be just as good off the footbrake vs the button. You have a good routine going now.
Posted By: BIG DRAG

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/30/20 12:18 AM

Are you leaving off a button hooked to your 2 step with the footbrake? I did pretty good with that setup before going to the trans brake.

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/30/20 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Triple Threat

I like this, and I think I’ll take this advice. Thanks for the responses.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/30/20 08:18 PM

I don't think the op said if he's running a full tree or a pro tree. If your running a pro tree,you'll need that trans brake.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Trans brake experience solicited - 01/30/20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by OUTLAWSSAA
I don't think the op said if he's running a full tree or a pro tree. If your running a pro tree,you'll need that trans brake.

Man, is that ever the truth!

I tried footbraking a 6.50 index class at an event with a .400 Pro tree and failed miserably! sleep
© 2024 Moparts Forums