Moparts

P7 Heads on a ritter block

Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 02:12 AM

I'm not a "Mopar Guy" so I'm asking this out of pure curiosity , but can you bolt a set of the P7 heads on to the New Ritter Block ? I Bought a 65 Dart last week , been debating on going BBM or Sbm,
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 04:03 AM

There is a version of the Ritter that is machined for the P7. They are not interchangeable with any other head. I don't believe it is (was?) an easy build but has been done. And the tall deck LA style block can be built bigger than the R5. Being in PA you are fairly close to guys who did it. A complete R5P7 is also an option that would likely be easier and cheaper than the Ritter deal.

Your budget will determine which options are available and sensible.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 11:59 AM

The P7 head will not fit a standard small block without extensive modifications. As far as I know, the ritter block for p7 heads never was available to the general population. I have a complete P7 top end and cam. I also have an A8 block that I want to mate them to.
Bore space is the same.
Head bolt holes need to be moved.
Cam tunnel needs to be removed and replaced. The P7 lifter bore requires location in the area that currently has cam bearings. The standard block has 5 cam bearings where the p7 requires 7 cam bearings.
Call ritter and see if they have the xr block for P7s available. If they do, it would be an awesome combo.
Also would likely need to fabricate an intake and water manifold.

Attached picture 917718E8-FE9B-43C7-A1C9-4E9EEFAAA6FB.jpeg
Posted By: usp4u

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 12:59 PM

Last time I was at Ritter's place he was trying hard to sell me his "new" (v2.0) block for P7 heads. Dude must 100 pair of assembled P7s on the shelf from Arrington/Penske/Chapman/etc.

Call Kent, he has want you need on the shelf/shelves.

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 01:15 PM

Its a shame that that info isn’t out there. I was asking about that block for years before assuming it would never happen.
Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by usp4u
Last time I was at Ritter's place he was trying hard to sell me his "new" (v2.0) block for P7 heads. Dude must 100 pair of assembled P7s on the shelf from Arrington/Penske/Chapman/etc.

Can I get a hold of them thru Hughes , or should I go Direct ?
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
There is a version of the Ritter that is machined for the P7. They are not interchangeable with any other head. I don't believe it is (was?) an easy build but has been done. And the tall deck LA style block can be built bigger than the R5. Being in PA you are fairly close to guys who did it. A complete R5P7 is also an option that would likely be easier and cheaper than the Ritter deal.

Your budget will determine which options are available and sensible.

The guys with the green Dart?
Posted By: usp4u

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ray408G3Hemi
Originally Posted by usp4u

Can I get a hold of them thru Hughes , or should I go Direct ?

I would just call him.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 02:15 PM

From what i understand there is ANOTHER option for a block from EEI (Ernie Elliot). So, 3 different blocks available: original r5, Ritters version of the r5 which has a tall deck and is a modular casting that CAN BE machined for either the conventional LA or the P7 heads, and again the EEI which can be purchased in two versions e.g.-open or closed deck surface.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 05:45 PM

Ray if you are thinking about doing a hotdog smallblock I would start with a phone call to Brett Miller.
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/20/19 06:35 PM

I was talking to Brent Miller about the ritter p7 deal. If my memory is right he put one togeather that is in a dirt car. From what i understand that block uses the p7 cam and belt drive i think water pump also. I believe the eei block uses a r5 crank set up which kind of suck because it will still need a custom billet. I am planing on boring my r5 block to a 4 300 and change will make it in the 370s i need to buy pistons anyway.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/21/19 12:41 AM

The only high end small block heads I ever liked were the P5 Hemi heads.....
Posted By: LA360

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/22/19 10:26 PM

The Ritter XR2 block takes all the LA stuff, the nose of the camshaft needs to be machined to like a LA camshaft as well. If you're a perfectionist, you could go down the road of a custom cam core. The ritter blocks were designed around the P7 heads, the wedge stuff was made to work around it.

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/22/19 10:45 PM

Is the XR2 iron or aluminum? Are the available now? What is the price range? Been waiting on this for 10+ years.
Posted By: LA360

Re: P7 Heads on a ritter block - 12/22/19 11:41 PM

These blocks have been available for as long at the Ritter blocks have, so they will be priced similarly to the XR1 wedge blocks. I have a couple of iron blocks, I believe that aluminium was available as well. Kenny Badorf has an aluminium XR2/P7 deal with a Procharger in his Dart from memory
© 2024 Moparts Forums