Moparts

Stacking/Shimming Head Gaskets

Posted By: 73DAD

Stacking/Shimming Head Gaskets - 12/16/19 04:55 PM

For those that have stacked head gaskets or added a spacer shim between two sets, did you change your torque spec any?

I'll be using a spacer shim & two-to-three sets of steel head gaskets on my build soon. I got to wondering about the torque spec & if it should increase since there is now more emboss-ment getting compressed.

Stock iron block with the deck milled down. Stock iron heads also milled. Stock head bolts & studs. This build isn't worth the price of MLS gaskets.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Stacking/Shimming Head Gaskets - 12/16/19 05:07 PM

I did this once before just to get us through the weekend.. we ran the same torque on it.. its not advised but
you do what you have to
wave
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Stacking/Shimming Head Gaskets - 12/16/19 06:26 PM

I have done it in the past (25 + years ago) with the old steel shim gaskets that came with every gasket kit ever made - used some spray copper-tack on them. With- low compression (less than 11-1) it usually would work if the decks were flat - with stock bolts and a milled deck just make sure they don't bottom out - I would use the factory torque - maybe go up 5 lbs - but no more
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Stacking/Shimming Head Gaskets - 12/16/19 07:16 PM

How much is the spacer shim? How thick do you need to go? I just counted $60 worth of head gaskets shruggy
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Stacking/Shimming Head Gaskets - 12/16/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by GTX MATT
How much is the spacer shim? How thick do you need to go? I just counted $60 worth of head gaskets shruggy

I bought a parts lot for $50 that included about 1 & a half full engine builds worth of gaskets plus 3 sets of head gaskets and the spacer shims. The Cometics in the proper thickness would cost me over $100 each I think.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Stacking/Shimming Head Gaskets - 12/16/19 09:14 PM

Get the cometics. Why guess if multiple gaskets will hold up or not. Could save you some headaches.
© 2024 Moparts Forums