Moparts

Custom pistons*UPDATE*

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Custom pistons*UPDATE* - 12/15/19 01:56 AM

I need to order a set of custom pistons for a customers engine. RB mega block, w/ Indy cast iron heads, 4.500"crank, 7.100" rods and a bore of 4.440". Who do you like to use? Best turn around time, cost, customer service, ect. Race only.
Thanks, Brian
Posted By: rvw

Re: Custom pistons - 12/15/19 02:08 AM

http://gibtecpistons.com/?page_id=79 check these out
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Custom pistons - 12/15/19 03:08 AM

Diamond,, Ross, Race Tech , JE and others, call around on price and delivery time up scope
It is that time of year so make sure you choose who you want work
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Custom pistons - 12/15/19 01:50 PM

I personally only use CP.
But turnaround time is not good.
Always a long lead time.
I've found Diamond to be the quickest to get.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Custom pistons - 12/15/19 02:17 PM

Like was said already Diamond is the quickest and I also use CP.. thats really all I use
wave
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 02:47 PM

Just got a custom set of Diamonds for my hemi a few weeks ago. Took about 2 weeks to get them. up
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 04:08 PM

Gibtec has an awesome product for sure and all they do is custom pistons.. But if budget is a concern at all you wont be going there
Posted By: BradH

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 05:07 PM

I'd be interested in what the RaceTec/AutoTec people (http://racetecpistons.com) custom stuff costs in the RaceTec series (2618), since they don't offer any stocking BBM pistons in that line.

Their AutoTec series (4032) is more budget oriented, but they only list a few stocking BBM pistons.

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Just got a custom set of Diamonds for my hemi a few weeks ago. Took about 2 weeks to get them. up

Took 4 days to get mine but I live close to them and I picked them up(plus I know the owner)
wave
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 06:00 PM

Call Ross, that may not be a custom piston, they will do changes to a shelf piston for a small cost, which saves money and time. I needed a 4.50 bore for a 4.25 crank which was not a shelf piston, they took a 4.5 stroke piston and just machined the compression height to fit my needs. They also gave me an order number and let me buy my pistons through summit and that saved me $100.00 after their tech guy and I went over the measurements.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jwb123
Call Ross, that may not be a custom piston, they will do changes to a shelf piston for a small cost, which saves money and time. I needed a 4.50 bore for a 4.25 crank which was not a shelf piston, they took a 4.5 stroke piston and just machined the compression height to fit my needs. They also gave me an order number and let me buy my pistons through summit and that saved me $100.00 after their tech guy and I went over the measurements.

Diamond will make (I think) two changes to a shelf piston at no extra cost. Better call and ask before taking my word on this as it's been about six years or so since I ordered mine.

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 07:53 PM

Diamond will give you up to 2 changes to a shelf piston.. at the time(about 3 years ago) it was a total of $35 bucks
wave
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Custom pistons - 12/16/19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Gibtec has an awesome product for sure and all they do is custom pistons.. But if budget is a concern at all you wont be going there
Gibtec is one of V Gaines' Western group of performance companies. Some others being Winberg Cranks, GRP Rods, Madcap Racing Engines and Lazarus Race Cars.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Custom pistons - 12/17/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Gibtec is one of V Gaines' Western group of performance companies. Some others being Winberg Cranks, GRP Rods, Madcap Racing Engines and Lazarus Race Cars.

I know I have been there many times. Awesome facilities and great parts. Billet center sections were actually done on the Gibtec equipment. Cranks start as raw billets on one end and get shipped at the other end of the building. Madcap and Lazarus have separate facilities. V and his family go way back in the Denver and Colorado area, almost the very beginning. Great guy to bad he left Pro Stock.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Custom pistons - 12/18/19 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
I know I have been there many times. Awesome facilities and great parts. Billet center sections were actually done on the Gibtec equipment. Cranks start as raw billets on one end and get shipped at the other end of the building. Madcap and Lazarus have separate facilities. V and his family go way back in the Denver and Colorado area, almost the very beginning. Great guy to bad he left Pro Stock.

I have only been there a couple of times, dropping off a crank to be checked and then picking it up later. We were in Colorado on vacation and this saved a lot of freight. I have found Randy Winberg to be a super nice guy and very helpful. I too miss V Gaines in racing in general and Pro Stock in particular.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Custom pistons *UPDATE* - 01/07/20 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by jwb123

Just to update: I found that Ross had a "shelf piston" that was exactly what I wanted, except for the bore size. $50 added to the cost of self pistons to change the bore size, 3 week promise date (even during the holidays) Very easy to work with. Thanks for the info.

Brian
Posted By: jkwedge540

Re: Custom pistons - 01/08/20 01:20 AM

Does anyone know what the difference is in a B/1 move center line head and a Pso head as far as pistons go. I need to order some and was going to send a piston I have for the move center line heads.
© 2024 Moparts Forums