Moparts

Dana 60 carrier

Posted By: maxie

Dana 60 carrier - 12/11/19 09:36 PM

So the carrier in the demon has decided to become open carrier. It has a trac lock unit in it and 30 spline axles. It is a dana truck housing cut down. The car makes around 650hp
would you guys step up to 35 splines axles and a 35 spline carrier or just get the yukon grizzly locker for it with 30 spline? The car has Doctor Diff 4340 axles in it.

The car is a street strip car

Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/11/19 09:54 PM

What does the driver side axle splines look like now? If they're twisted it is time to change to bigger, stronger axle diameter, isn't it work
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/12/19 12:35 AM

I would not suggest a locker for anything other than mud boggers. Yukon makes an overhaul kit for your carrier. I used one in my pickup and it is actually a bit tighter than I would like for a truck, but would be great in a higher powered car.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/12/19 03:52 PM

If it was me and I was upgrading the axles I would just go straight to a spool and be done with it.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/12/19 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
If it was me and I was upgrading the axles I would just go straight to a spool and be done with it.

iagree 100%! Cheaper, lighter, stronger.
Posted By: maxie

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/14/19 02:13 AM

I spoke with Moser and Strange at the PRI show today. Both said that no more street use than the car sees they would recommend a spool with 35 splines axles.

I will probably go with Moser since I live about one hour south of them and they heavily sponsor our local track.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/14/19 04:52 AM

The down side of a spool is you really need to make sure the tire circumference is within 1/4 inch on both rear tires, use the tire pressure to get it their up
I use to have to put new slicks in the sunlight for a while if the slicks varied more than 3/4 inch in diameter, pump up the small one with a seamstress tape around it to get them dead on (within 1/8 inch circumference) and let it sit in the Sun light for several hours and then let it down on the pressure to match the bigger one and go from there .if they shrank down more than within 1/4 at the same pressure do it again to get them to stretch to where you like it up scope
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/14/19 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by maxie
I spoke with Moser and Strange at the PRI show today. Both said that no more street use than the car sees they would recommend a spool with 35 splines axles.

I will probably go with Moser since I live about one hour south of them and they heavily sponsor our local track.

I have moser 35 spline axles in my D60 with a spool and couldn't be happier. I have logged lots of street miles with a spool and the only time its real even noticed is maneuvering in tight spaces.

My Jeep has a locker and it is more unpredictable, because it is either a spool, or an open differential. So if you are on a long sweeping turn and apply some power your open diff turns into a spool mid corner. That can be tricky in the rain, where as with a spool you know what you have all the time.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/14/19 06:29 PM

My car is running a cut down truck rear end as well. It was open . We rebuilt it adding a Powr-Lok clutch type unit and 35 spline Moser axles. It makes it easier to parallel park ! whistling
No complaints so far street or strip.
I am sure Moser gives sound advice.

Mark
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/14/19 06:35 PM

I have a Strange S-60 with a spool and 35 spline axles. As Bad340fish posted the only time I notice is maneuvering in tight places.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/14/19 07:30 PM

I have the S track in my s60, it works awesome for street strip car, has the helical gears,
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/16/19 01:02 AM

Any selectable locker is the best of both worlds.
Posted By: A990

Re: Dana 60 carrier - 12/16/19 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by csk
I have the S track in my s60, it works awesome for street strip car, has the helical gears,

I put one in my Dakota, and that thing is terrific. I love how modulating the throttle will make it slip better on turns.
© 2024 Moparts Forums