Moparts

Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis

Posted By: Edge

Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 01:52 AM

Does anyone know specifically how they are controlling power on the procharged combinations that are on street outlaws. There have been a few hemi procharged setups and I was wondering if they can manage the power to get down the track just with timing or are they controller boost ? changing ratios ? I had heard that you would not be able to pull enough power with timing alone ?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 02:36 AM

"An engine with ignition set at TDC does not produce enough power to idle": David Vizard
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 02:38 PM

It would appear DV hasn’t done a lot of tune up work on 60’s era Mopars.
Quite a few used TDC as the spec for timing at idle...... and there are also some that use 2-5deg ATDC.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 03:24 PM

Depending on air temps, I would use anywhere from 0° to -10° to maintain rpm and build boost when staging (turbo). Procharged cars can use timing for smooth power management, and/ or blow off valve actuation for abrupt traction loss.
Timing is more effective with a blower than with a turbo. Reduced timing with a turbo increases exhaust heat, speeding up the wheels in the turbo. That effect is non existent in a procharged car.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
"An engine with ignition set at TDC does not produce enough power to idle": David Vizard

Complete and utter fallacy.

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
Depending on air temps, I would use anywhere from 0° to -10° to maintain rpm and build boost when staging (turbo). Procharged cars can use timing for smooth power management, and/ or blow off valve actuation for abrupt traction loss.
Timing is more effective with a blower than with a turbo. Reduced timing with a turbo increases exhaust heat, speeding up the wheels in the turbo. That effect is non existent in a procharged car.

Nobody I know uses any kind of boost control with blowers of any kind. It is all done with timing and fuel.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by BobR
Originally Posted by polyspheric

Complete and utter fallacy.

Dave is a pretty smart guy but he was probably just thinking about Chevrolets.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 11:03 PM

If they are using the individual coils per cylinder, with Fuel Tech, I heard they can pull a ton of timing, even going way negative to bring the power in as they want. ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewNUmH8Y4HY
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/28/19 11:42 PM

Nobody I know uses any kind of boost control with blowers of any kind. It is all done with timing and fuel.

Look for solenoids on BOVs... especially on cars with dual BOVs. We all know how simple a BOV can be used/ plumbed. When you can’t see where the actuator lines go......

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/29/19 04:01 PM

Look for solenoids on BOVs... especially on cars with dual BOVs. We all know how simple a BOV can be used/ plumbed. When you can’t see where the actuator lines go......
Timing is more accurate and much quicker acting. If they get into a position where that's not enough they add a bunch of fuel.
Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/29/19 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
It would appear DV hasn’t done a lot of tune up work on 60’s era Mopars.
Quite a few used TDC as the spec for timing at idle...... and there are also some that use 2-5deg ATDC.

Or todays G3 hemi
Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 11/29/19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
If they are using the individual coils per cylinder, with Fuel Tech, I heard they can pull a ton of timing, even going way negative to bring the power in as they want. ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewNUmH8Y4HY

My 01 Lightning that's how I control it
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 12/08/19 12:21 PM

my procharged hemi we use timming , i have a FAST ecu and a digital 7 ing box but its all done though the FAST , even when my air charge temps go up it takes out timming to compensate for the heat. its a big learning curve hope to get some better passes next year its been 160mph in the 1/4 on street tires and a base tune at 3960 lbs
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 12/08/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 572charger
my procharged hemi we use timming , i have a FAST ecu and a digital 7 ing box but its all done though the FAST , even when my air charge temps go up it takes out timming to compensate for the heat. its a big learning curve hope to get some better passes next year its been 160mph in the 1/4 on street tires and a base tune at 3960 lbs

Wow. My Moroso speed calculator tilted on that one. Lol. Over 1200 HP.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 12/08/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by dannysbee
Originally Posted by 572charger

Wow. My Moroso speed calculator tilted on that one. Lol. Over 1200 HP.

And I no you said with street tires, but at a 160mph there were a lot of tire spend. What et did it run?
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 12/21/19 11:27 AM

i could not get it to leave the starting line it had a 2.60 60 ft and ran 9.43 at 160 mph !!!! it did go a 5.69 in the 1/8 at road killnights in aug i was fighting a tuning prob but is was enough to win the big tire dodge class [5,000.00] my tuner wasnt at the track with me ,last time out im going to get it on a chassis dyno in the spring , yes it did make 1381 on the engine dyno on a base tune it is true hemis like to be blown LOL
Posted By: racerx

Re: Street Outlaws Procharged Hemis - 12/21/19 01:47 PM

thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums