Moparts

should Steve Torrence be crown champion

Posted By: theraif

should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 04:43 PM

https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/stev...heated-after-first-round-top-fuel-battle
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 05:17 PM

He earned his championship on the track, His little B!T*H fest after that race should just cost him money, but sadly hes got loads of that so it wont do any good. Shouldnt get so upset over the tree battles, or anything he can do on the line to aid him. They both have similar cars, so if Torence is worried about mechanical issues, they both have to deal with that. If hes pissy that the other driver got into his head then thats on him....

PS,

I dont care for him, and the only drivers in "FUEL" i care about are the lil guys who every once in a while sneak out a victory over the overlords....
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 05:37 PM

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the NHRA rulebook. Particularly section 3.1 Participant Conduct and then answer that question. Had this been observed by an NHRA official between sportsman racers, lets say S/G I would almost guarantee a DQ for the offending driver. Torrence gets but hurt over a driver going deep on him, they are allowed to if they so choose. The only rule broken was Torrences action at the top end. A fine to this guy will mean NOTHING.
Posted By: CSK

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the NHRA rulebook. Particularly section 3.1 Participant Conduct and then answer that question. Had this been observed by an NHRA official between sportsman racers, lets say S/G I would almost guarantee a DQ for the offending driver. Torrence gets but hurt over a driver going deep on him, they are allowed to if they so choose. The only rule broken was Torrences action at the top end. A fine to this guy will mean NOTHING.

I agree, I also think he should have had 100 points taken away.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moparnut426
He earned his championship on the track, His little B!T*H fest after that race should just cost him money, but sadly hes got loads of that so it wont do any good. Shouldnt get so upset over the tree battles, or anything he can do on the line to aid him. They both have similar cars, so if Torence is worried about mechanical issues, they both have to deal with that. If hes pissy that the other driver got into his head then thats on him....

PS,

I dont care for him, and the only drivers in "FUEL" i care about are the lil guys who every once in a while sneak out a victory over the overlords....

So in other words he can punch anyone he wants to and just reach into his wallet and buy his way out of any trouble he gets into.
Hmmmmmm. WRONG!!!!! NHRA blew it again.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 05:52 PM

I watched the race on TV and the comments Torrence made right after the run to the reporter, before he smacked the guy sounded like Torrence thought his opponent was a duck, and how dare him deep stage to try and win the race when his championship was at stake. Then he goes over and confronts him and slaps him. I think Torrence should have lost points and if that meant losing the championship so be it. A racer in the sportsman ranks with the same behavior would have been DNQ.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 06:00 PM

So in other words he can punch anyone he wants to and just reach into his wallet and buy his way out of any trouble he gets into.
Hmmmmmm. WRONG!!!!! NHRA blew it again. [/quote]
Maybe Karma will knock a few of his front teeth out next time devil
He is less than respectful and professional, isn't he work Probably gets that from his mommy whistling
I had a guy try something in me at the old LACR track, we had flip for lane choice and he pulled into my lane, my car would vary .002 to .004 in the other lane and I had dial for the right one.
I had the water box guy change my dial in while he was doing his burn out and hung him out on my prestaging devil He was driving a air cooled V.W powered altered and he went ahead and staged and revved the motor way up before I was stage so that led to me taking a little more time in staging.
He came over to me inn the pits and tried to get inn my face, luckily for him he didn't touch me. He thought he was hot stuff, I told him to not mess with the bull if he didn't wand to get the horns haha
He avoided racing me after that shruggy
Posted By: justinp61

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 06:02 PM

What he really needed was for that kid to knock him on his spoiled little a$$. That was a b!tch move, I'd expect it in nascrap but not in nhra.
Posted By: topside

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 06:02 PM

I re-watched the exchange between he & Ferre a couple times.
At first they were shaking hands & talking, then as they parted Ferre said something that lit Torrence off.
Bearing in mind the death of a crewmember's kid and the pressure of the Countdown, I suspect Torrence's fuse was quite short.
He did apologize on camera later and subsequently had a much friendlier discussion with Ferre.

Folks upset with that deal have probably never been to a Sprint Car race laugh2
Not defending it, but I also don't get too bothered when some steam escapes...

I was more bothered by the Starter sending Beckman downtrack on a full run with Hight's car parked mid-track.
But that's a separate topic for a separate thread.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 07:45 PM

I've seen (on camera) lots of altercations that were more severe than that and NHRA did nothing.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 07:52 PM

Secretly, the NHRA loved it. Noone got hurt, and they can turn a blind eye to the potential negative impact for the guaranteed publicity it caused. They aren't gaining fans anymore, so they need stuff like this or else Camaro Vs. Camaro or Force vs. Force will continue to bore fans.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 07:53 PM

NHRA doesn`t want to chase away money is the way I see it.

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 08:15 PM

It look like there where a lot of empty seats in the stands on both days work
It was hot their also, around 90F with mild Santa Ana winds blowing out of the N/E, which made it nice and clear boogie
Posted By: 540DUSTER

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 09:00 PM

Alot of the races this year,The stands were half filled.They try to hide it on TV
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by topside
At first they were shaking hands & talking, then as they parted Ferre said something that lit Torrence off.
Bearing in mind the death of a crewmember's kid and the pressure of the Countdown, I suspect Torrence's fuse was quite short.
He did apologize on camera later and subsequently had a much friendlier discussion with Ferre.

I was more bothered by the Starter sending Beckman downtrack on a full run with Hight's car parked mid-track.

They didn't know what to do!! They took him off the track and let him praying for the best........... sick
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/18/19 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
It look like there where a lot of empty seats in the stands on both days work
It was hot their also, around 90F with mild Santa Ana winds blowing out of the N/E, which made it nice and clear boogie

CB ... only 2 smilies in a post ? That’s gotstabeez a rEcOrD low ! laugh2
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 12:27 AM

So what did Cameron say to him? Any of you geniuses know? Maybe find out all the facts before deciding fate. We all know that Torrance is a little [censored], but how many of you have said the wrong thing in the heat of the battle? Glass houses... work
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
So what did Cameron say to him? Any of you geniuses know? Maybe find out all the facts before deciding fate. We all know that Torrance is a little [censored], but how many of you have said the wrong thing in the heat of the battle? Glass houses... work

None of Cameron’s mannerisms looked aggressive during that discussion. But only those two know what was said.

Myself, I couldn’t care less if Cameron told him he was gonna donkey punch his sister. Torrence is classless, and too bad his money is going to dictate his punishment. He’s getting to Tanner Gray level.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 02:35 AM

Attached picture 75439524_2652582418141857_5158568829906845696_n.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart

You mean after I won a round at a national event in a pro class , on national television ?
Yeah............ you're right.
Now , I have to temper my enthusiasm and mind my bidness.
Note to self...................no throwing hands to anyone's face until the situation is absolutely right for it.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by topside

So Ferre finally told that little punk to eat poo becuse he didn't do a thing wrong and Torrence gets to [censored] slap him?

WRONG. Once again, the NHRA showed itself to be the gutless cowards they truly are.

Little baby Steve should have been fined, lost the run and suspended. And, they should have told Ferre he had a free pass to go over and whip that self entitled sissys ass.

This isn't the first time the cry baby has had a hissy fit. Act like a man for once Torrence.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 06:04 AM

Most talked about Big Show post all year.... guess their plan worked laugh2

....and I enjoyed Greg Anderson “finessing” his way into the 15 spot. That was cool!
Posted By: dthemi

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 04:46 PM

He should receive the male chicken biter award for most embarrassing drag race personality. Even managing to limbo under the already pathetically low bar of street outlaw culture.

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
Most talked about Big Show post all year.... guess their plan worked laugh2

....and I enjoyed Greg Anderson “finessing” his way into the 15 spot. That was cool!

Not only did he place himself there, but he almost pulled it off and got the win. She beat him but not by much.
Posted By: hankcrank

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 09:32 PM

If all this was about deep staging I guess Torrence has not been drag racing very long because deep staging has been around for decades and gives a slower car a tiny bit of a head start as long as he catches a better light.

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/19/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by hankcrank
If all this was about deep staging I guess Torrence has not been drag racing very long because deep staging has been around for decades and gives a slower car a tiny bit of a head start as long as he catches a better light.

You do know that a car runs slower when deep staged. Right.

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/20/19 01:45 AM

Hmmmm

Attached picture 72EC966B-59B7-41B2-87BF-899D4399BF30.jpeg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/20/19 10:49 PM

It sure isn't the " old days " , but I am guessing it took more than deep staging to motivate The Ace on this one...........maybe a burn down.

Attached picture Ed McColloch.jpg
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/21/19 04:38 PM

Yes, he earned it.

He was walking away when something was said. The smart thing to do would have been keep walking, but we've all had someone flip that switch that makes you do the dumb thing in the past. Not 100% on him. But just like in football, it's the guy who retaliates that gets the penalty.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/21/19 06:14 PM

X2
Posted By: madscientist

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/21/19 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Yes, he earned it.

He was walking away when something was said. The smart thing to do would have been keep walking, but we've all had someone flip that switch that makes you do the dumb thing in the past. Not 100% on him. But just like in football, it's the guy who retaliates that gets the penalty.

I'd love to see what would happen to you, or me, or someone who wasn't in a championship after hitting someone. You and I both know the results. We'd b gone. Regardless. Darrell Alderman was suspended for a [censored] deal.

If you defend the spoiled little brat in this you don't get it. He cried like a baby when BF put him in the box. This was nothing but a a repeat tantrum of a little pussy.

Luckily, he didn't do that to me. He'd have ended up between the trailers and there would be no doubt his cry baby ass got boot stomped.

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/21/19 07:35 PM

Money, power and fame comes with benefits. Look around at politics, celebrities, tycoons, CEOs, sports heroes, rock stars.

You don't have to like it, but that's how it is. Reality can be a mean b!#&h.

Millions of dollars spent. A year of hard work by many people. Half a million to win the championship. Harsh punishment to take it away, much more so than a court of law would impose. I'm sure Mr. Ferre` will receive some benefits from this as well. I mean, no one was talking about him a week ago. Now everyone is.

Hell.. he could smack me in the head if it would help get me to the track in style with a fuel car. Maybe even kick me in the boys.
Posted By: hemibee69

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/22/19 01:10 AM

Since this thread is still alive I will throw my worthless 2 cents in. Did anybody else watch the last Formula 1 race? The series champion (you know who) pushed Albon who was headed for the podium, a newbie, out of his way because he wanted that podium position. It was clear it was not just racing. The Champ did not want the PEON holding him up so he took care of him by wrecking him in the final laps. The Formula 1 stewards added a 5 second penalty to the Champ, after the race, and he lost his podium finish. That is a real sanctioning body doing the right thing in my opinion.
The similarities are obvious to me, little guys get out of my F***king way. I have more money than you so don't challenge me fairly.
How did NHRA handle the rules violation? The actions after that 1st round were un-believable. what were the end results? NADA.
I pretty much only watch Formula 1 and NHRA any more. NHRA because I have been a drag racer most of my life and still am.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/22/19 03:15 PM

Lots of good opinions here, I had no ill feelings towards him until he did his rant against Brittany two years ago which showed no class, this just adds to it 10 fold. I hope he is suspended for at least the first 3 races next year more than anything since money is obviously a non-problem.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/22/19 06:32 PM

Torrence has been fined $25K.
Posted By: Wax

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/22/19 08:41 PM

$25k is chump change. Money will not mean anything. Points needs to be taken away at the beginning of 2020. Any other outbursts from should mean a three race suspension at least. I truly hope that the NHRA does more than just a minimal fine.

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/23/19 12:45 AM

IMO NHRA has been all about the money since the early to mid 1970s realcrazy
I'm surprised they haven't fine more racers for lesser reasons shruggy
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/24/19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Torrence has been fined $25K.

...and ozbbq mandatory anger management classes.

[Linked Image]

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/24/19 06:51 PM

Now that is funny!

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/24/19 06:55 PM

Now that's funny!

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/24/19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 540DUSTER
Alot of the races this year,The stands were half filled.They try to hide it on TV

and up on the BIG END even more empty than that !

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/24/19 11:03 PM

BTW .... other than being sponsored by them
... what relationship does ST have with CAPCO ?
Posted By: markz528

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Its the family business...........

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by markz528

Its the family business...........

I have a friend who is medically retired, injured on the job badly, union Pipe fitter, welder, he doesn't like any of the family that owns and operates Capco due to them being the biggest non union pipe laying company in this country work shruggy

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 04:54 PM

Good for CAPCO. Unions are outdated and corrupt!

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mopacltd
shock whistling
As a former Union member in CA back you had to join in a closed shop and later as a member in a open shop where I became a union steward and then on the E board I will tell you that all Union are not good or bad, it depends on the Union and the Company.
I was promoted into first level management in 1980 and I had to sit in on more than one union grievance meetings sitting on the other side of the table, in the end I learned form both sides of the business on people and problem solving.
Many unions became corrupt after WW2, hence the work force here in the U.S. moving away from them, they sank them selves do to corruption, politics and graft whiney
This country work force benefited a bunch early on in the 1920 and 1930 when the workforce was switching away form farming and going into the larger cities into manufacturing jobs in large industrial sweat shops that where dangerous to work in and paid very little back then twocents scope EDITED: It was the labor unions who made working in those type jobs safer and better for the employees bow Many federal labor laws also help make the USA a great place to live and work in up
Once some of the union members where promoted beyond their abilities in union management and started stealing, lying and cheating with the union members retirement and union dues the whole concept of the union helping make the members life better went into the toilet rant
Union member ship was at its peak in the late 1950 or the early 1960 at about 23% of the American workforce, this was before any government agency where allowed to become a union.
The last statistics I remember reading on current union membership here in America in 2010 was right at 7.5%, which 75% of them where some sort government employees, State, County, Federal, city, fire fighters law enforcement and school teachers and many other agencies which our tax dollar pay their wages work
I saw a IBEW Union business agent steal a lot of money from the last local I belong to, I got involved in that local and starting showing other stewards and members what he and his wife where doing by inflating the monthly union hall operating costs instead keeping it honest puke He ended up changing his ways before he was charge for embezzlement and theft rant He seemed to think that because he had started that local in 1948 or 1949 and he had been the only B.A. in that local that it was his union, not the members. Two or three phone calls to the International union help change his mind about his ways of operating it from then on devil
In the end the unions management greed and corruption kill them in the private work force except for a few large industries like auto makers, some mining, some large trucking companies, some public utilizes companies and some other industries I can't think of right now down work
Posted By: tboomer

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 05:52 PM

I should stay out of this.....But I was a union member in a dairy production plant. I saw a cartoon that I thought was very funny but the business agent did not. It showed 5 guys leaning on shovels and 1 guy working. The caption read...Unions...Promoting organized laziness since the 1930s! Good grief that was a funny one! laugh2

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 06:02 PM

So ST is one of the main people in CAPCO ?

I’m surprised no one else has mentioned what CAPCO is most famous for !!

OTHER THAN they are the primary contractor in the Canadian USA pipeline
Posted By: BobR

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 06:38 PM

If you get a paid vacation, paid sick leave and/or paid holidays you can thank unions.

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by BobR
If you get a paid vacation, paid sick leave and/or paid holidays you can thank unions.

Bingo
My brother in law worked as a machist at Oberg in Pa and hated unions even though he went to college to be a teacher. Me being a union Millwright in a steel mill. He soon realized that when we got a negotiated raise his soon followed so their workers didn’t leave. He started loving unions more after that sank in
Posted By: Twostick

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 08:37 PM

I've never worked in a union shop that didn't deserve one.

It also annoyed me to watch the 5 guys watch while one guy does mentality that some (I said SOME! lol) of the rank and file subscribe to and that the company has no reasonable remedy to prune the deadwood.

Kevin

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 10:43 PM

This 5 guy .. 1 guy thing ? .... wanna see a perfect example of this EVERY DAY?

Go to any federal or state road construction site and watch it for an hour or so !
Posted By: Twostick

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/25/19 11:10 PM

This 5 guy .. 1 guy thing ? .... wanna see a perfect example of this EVERY DAY?

Go to any federal or state road construction site and watch it for an hour or so !

What is yellow and sleeps 4? A Dept of Highways crewcab.

Kevin
Posted By: justinp61

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/26/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by BobR

Absolutely! If you have insurance or a pension through work, thank a union.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/26/19 04:07 AM

Back on topic.

To bad it wasn't someone the size of Matt Hagen that Torrence slapped like that. I'd pay to see what happened next.
Posted By: theraif

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/26/19 04:16 PM

whistling

Attached picture union.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/26/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by theraif
whistling

Lol!! laugh2 bow

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/27/19 12:19 AM

Don't laugh t .... they did a merging diamond intersection here that was a MASSIVE boondoggle !

Ooooops ....diverging diamond .... NINETY MILLION DOLLARS !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jMVZszPTY

Re: should Steve Torrence be crown champion - 11/27/19 12:38 AM

Whether you think ST should champion or not, he is. Of course he is going to be treated differently than some little Stocker guy pulling the same stunt. Is it right? Doesn't matter. It is what it is.

And I always thought the highest paid, best benefits, blue collar guys in the area closing a plant, going on strike, and walking a picket line with "UNFAIR" signs, looked like a bunch of friggin' idiots.

I've worked in a union plant, and as often happens, the union tried to be the bully and run the place and make sure everyone knew it. Place closed down the facility and moved the work south. Nice work, clowns.
© 2024 Moparts Forums