Moparts

MSD problem

Posted By: 493_DART

MSD problem - 11/10/19 10:11 PM

I finally am going with a MSD setup. I have the 8546 distributor here and it and the cap (small cap) are hitting the valve cover. Cant even get dist to go into block. this is a Rb with tall aftermarket fabbed alum valve covers.

I hit the cover pretty good with a grinder but still a no-go.

What did you guys do to get around this ?

im thinking ill have to cut a chunk out of the cover , take that spot down a 1/4" and have someone weld the piece back on ??

Posted By: birdtracker

Re: MSD problem - 11/11/19 01:30 AM

Off set distributor. Birdtracker
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: MSD problem - 11/11/19 03:04 AM

What make of valve cover?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: MSD problem - 11/11/19 06:35 AM

I've had to grind down more than one cast aluminum covers, even the fabricated thin aluminum ones wit the thick flanges shruggy sawzall
Grind a little and check, repeat as needed to get it where you like it up
Posted By: dthemi

Re: MSD problem - 11/11/19 10:40 AM

Put a propane or map gas torch on the cover where it hits to soften the aluminum up some. Find something about the same dia, and wack till it clears. Or, cut and paste a section like a pro. I've clearanced several sets of aluminum covers that way, wedge, and hemi. Doesn't look bad believe it or not lol.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: MSD problem - 11/13/19 08:30 PM

Yep--i did a lot of grinding to no avail. . Ive decided im going to cut out a small window , and have my buddy (a pro welder) weld in a thin cover piece on the inside . Should work--i dont care if the patch seen..but should be hidden by the cap anyway .
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: MSD problem - 11/13/19 11:39 PM

Mine clears the Mopar Performance finned valve covers. But didn't clear the hood..

Attached picture tn_IMG_0687.JPG
Attached picture tn_IMG_0699.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums