Moparts

New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ????

Posted By: DaveRS23

New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 12:32 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=xSoe8DxNGR0
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 01:00 AM

Possibly another round of body in white cars with a few different drive train combo's as was done in 2009, including a combo like Leah's? Still a few of those 2009's out there that never got completed as quite a bit of assembly/work required.
Keep thinking maybe a 426 cube 1320 for the 50 year anniversary of the Challenger.......
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 01:05 AM

They are unavailing the new 1000hp Redeye.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

WRONG!

Unless of course you are inventing a new word, and mean it like it sort of sounds...
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

WRONG!

Unless of course you are inventing a new word, and mean it like it sort of sounds...

Damn phone...

This is what is being announced:

Attached picture F0868B5C-FAF2-4840-94DB-F7490F076A36.jpeg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 01:55 PM

Well, whatever it is I am sure the infinitely brilliant minds at Mopar will make it affordable to grassroots racers* everywhere!

*Mopar's/Pietro's definition of "grassroots racer" is SS/AH
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 02:18 PM

I assume it will be like the 2015. With mo power. I noticed it has a parachute. Don't know what other changes. The 2015 was already spectacular. The Drag Paks are wonderful cars. The reveal is at 4:26 Pacific time today.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 02:53 PM

If I buy one (and I doubt I will) those black wheels will be gone first day. 22 year old engineers mistakenly think that 40-50 year olds (the target audience for this car) like black wheels just because they do. They don't have a clue.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 03:15 PM

I'm sure FCA/Mopar will find a way to screw it up like always.

How many of the 2015's are actively being raced??? Maybe five out of the fifty they were supposed to build across the country? Don't count Leah's, Pawuk's, or AJ's either...as they did not start life as actual 2015 Drag Pak cars...

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 03:33 PM

I was told from the best source that they can't get parts for them if you try to race one. And if they made 50 he doesn't know where they are at.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman
I was told from the best source that they can't get parts for them if you try to race one. And if they made 50 he doesn't know where they are at.

I only recall seeing two...Jonathan Allegrucci's car in D-1, and the late Charles Blossom's car in D-5. Blossom's car has been sitting since he passed away as far as I know. I'm not sure what Joe Welch's car began life as...it may be a real 2015 car also?
Posted By: theraif

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 03:59 PM

09 on ebay for 80k, #83 been on there a long time
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 05:27 PM

If I buy one (and I doubt I will) those black wheels will be gone first day. 22 year old engineers mistakenly think that 40-50 year olds (the target audience for this car) like black wheels just because they do. They don't have a clue.

YEAH! Those darn whippersnappers and their new fangled black wheels...they should have learned older Mopar crowd doesn't like black wheels after none of the Hellcats...or Demons...or TAs...or 1320s...all which came with black wheels, sit idle on the dealership lots.

/End sarcasm

I'm sure FCA has done plenty of market research, even if they didn't call you.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 05:43 PM

I guess on my wishlist I hope it has 426 cu in and a 4.0 blower. That would make me happy.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 06:55 PM

haha
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 07:11 PM

Does not look like it has drag race front or rear tires, but it is hard to see.

Looks like a Demon style hood.

However no side view mirrors kind of say drag race car and the video, even though it is a different car says drag race.

Hopefully its a new Factory Stock Showdown car. The current combo is hanging on by a thread and would not even qualify except for the rule changes during the year.

I am sure they have been around but first car cover I have noticed that you can leave on and drive the car. Windshield uncovers and cooling holes upfront.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 07:12 PM

Be nice. A man can dream.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/05/19 07:46 PM

Being on the front end of the sales process and related ancillary tasks from the beginning of the program
until 2013, a sense of humor was definitely a requirement the whole time.

As proud as I might be of my association with it, that sense of humor remains intact....because, well....there's always something to have fun with.

I'm as nice as can be smile Maybe to a fault...
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 12:01 AM

If anyone cares to watch, I think that this is the link. Why doesn't Mopar make this stuff easier to find? Maybe post something on some Mopar sites like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrBQYpfytIo

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 12:18 AM

Thanks for the link!

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 12:43 AM

Like a 2015 with wheelie bars and parachute. Don't like the graphics as much.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 12:58 AM

He says they designed it for the grass roots racer...then goes on to say the limited production run of 50 will make it an instant collectors item. Those two statements sound like opposites.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 01:13 AM

Anyone else think the udders have gone dry?

There is milkin it, THEN THERE IS MILKIN IT!
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 01:15 AM

Found more pics and video, they keep stating it's certified to 7.50 but all the pics I've seen there is no F/C cage? Other that that its cool but way out of my budget. I'm not sure whose grass roots racer budget this will fit?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 02:34 AM

Hot Rod article says 1500 hp.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1500-hp-mopar-2020-challenger-drag-pak-debuts-sema-2019/
Posted By: BloFish

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 03:28 AM

Certainly not for the average racer.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 04:23 AM

...... on a 9” tire ! eek

But using a TurdBowl 400 trans ... whistling
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

They're all using TH400s in the supercharged cars. Stronger, cheaper and more aftermarket parts.
Posted By: burdar

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 01:54 PM

they keep stating it's certified to 7.50 but all the pics I've seen there is no F/C cage?

The newer cars have a stronger roof structure and have updated cage rules I think. Maybe someone else can clarify?

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet
He says they designed it for the grass roots racer...then goes on to say the limited production run of 50 will make it an instant collectors item. Those two statements sound like opposites.

Maybe it isn't quite apparent yet:
Nobody there in a position of authority knows what a grassroots racer actually is?

To them it's just another buzzword like "Iconic", it means nothing to those who say it but it makes you sound like you know your stuff.

We're now listening to folks talk who only have some sort of a vague idea the Plymouth brand ever existed.

I was a worse critic during my time....

I do think it's great they tapped into the potential of the platform that much further, and wish them nothing but success.

Posted By: n20mstr

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 02:07 PM

WHAT BLOCK DO THEY USE? AND HOW DOES IT HOLD UP TO THAT MUCH POWER?

RACING IS EXPENSIVE, THERE ARE NO "CHEAP/AFFORDABLE" 7 SEC CARS

GRASSROOTS IS THE 1320 CHALLENGER
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 02:13 PM

Very,very cool! drive
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
WHAT BLOCK DO THEY USE? AND HOW DOES IT HOLD UP TO THAT MUCH POWER?

RACING IS EXPENSIVE, THERE ARE NO "CHEAP/AFFORDABLE" 7 SEC CARS

GRASSROOTS IS THE 1320 CHALLENGER

The 1320 is the only offering around other than the demon that is targeted at drag racing, I think it is awesome. I saw a guy who was obviously very green to drag racing go 11.81 in one this weekend.
Posted By: BradH

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet

I think he forgot to read the part about prospective buyers needing to be independently wealthy or having major sponsorship. "Grass roots", my a$$.

I'm surprised -- and don't know if I should be -- how many of the limited-production late-model Stock Eliminator cars like the COPO Camaros and Drag Pak Challengers can be found for sale in "as delivered" condition and never having been raced. Sounds like a bunch of rich guys bought shiny new toys as "investments" or freaked after they finally understood the cost of running a competitive operation and parked 'em.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 02:23 PM

I don't believe that. I talked to a guy that pulled the motor out of a 2015 and it made 1050 on the dyno. He said by only retuning the EFI he got it up to 1100. I haven't heard of any real motor improvements for 2020. The 2015 was a masterpiece of an engine. WOW what good times we live in.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BloFish
Certainly not for the average racer.

That would depend on his age.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 03:15 PM

What’s really funny is that’s not a new car.

That’s nothing more then the. Old poppa Johns car wrapped... the new cars aren’t done yet.... and they don’t make 1500hp.... jeezus
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 03:41 PM

That’s classic!!

Wasn’t it last year the Hellephant was introduced?

Have any of those actually been built and delivered to customers yet?

Mopar likes to have some big unveiling at SEMA......you know...... the “big show”....... then no follow through of actual said products.

.... and they don’t make 1500hp....

Rounded up to the nearest 500.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by joshking440
What’s really funny is that’s not a new car.

That’s nothing more then the. Old poppa Johns car wrapped... the new cars aren’t done yet.... and they don’t make 1500hp.... jeezus

So, an old ride, with new makeup and a lot of talk... whistling

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 05:24 PM

I agree but at least they are making a new car and we have 50 more out there.The pluses are there, they are just very minor. I prefer the wishbone to the panhard bar. Racetech seats are top notch. The fuel and PCM controllers are supposed to be easier to work with. Datalogging is a wonderful thing. The parachute and wheelie bars might be good for some classes. So, yes, small changes but good. The minuses (for my personal taste) are less attractive graphics and black wheels. So, all in all, at least we have a 2020 model. I am grateful. Thank You Mopar.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Roughbird72

They're all using TH400s in the supercharged cars. Stronger, cheaper and more aftermarket parts.

jsta hammer the Chebby boyz !

I thought I remember hearing in the Leah video that the TurdBowl 400 is the only trans that has a aftermarket SFI case
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 05:55 PM

I ordered one yesterday and I’m number 76. I could have been number 74 but I wanted black wheels. Can’t wait to get it.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 05:58 PM

Kinda sorta. The TH400 has had a million dollars of R&D thrown at it to develop it for drag racing so it was the logical choice. Now ATI has a TH350 case so that may be the new thing. Normally a smaller trans has a tiny bit of less resistance, might be a hundredth of a second quicker, and Stock/Super Stock racers run to it.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 06:16 PM

I doubt you'll find one factory GM part in those TH400s, just like you won't find one factory part in the 9" rear ends they're running.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 07:58 PM

Btw guyz ..... how is that trans “legal” in a factory stock class ?

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 08:03 PM

Btw guyz ..... how is that trans “legal” in a factory stock class ?

It's original equipment in the car.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 08:12 PM

Hmmm ... I thought Leah or her crew chief said it was a add on .

What kind of shortcomings are there with the 8 speed Hellcat trans ?

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 08:19 PM

It doesn't have an SFI case for starters. Besides how are you going to hook up a car with 1000+ horsepower and a 4.71 low gear.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 08:31 PM

4.71 first gear ? eek

So what is the gearing of the 400?

What’s the gear spread of the 8 speed ?

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 08:45 PM

I think a stock TH400 is a 2.48 low gear. The Mopar 8 speed doesn't have a 1 to 1 high gear. Bad for drag racing.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 08:46 PM

4.71 first gear ? eek

the more power you have, the less gear you need....ESPECIALLY with small tires. Please don't go into a rant about a mopar trans....lmao

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 09:32 PM

I think a stock TH400 is a 2.48 low gear. The Mopar 8 speed doesn't have a 1 to 1 high gear. Bad for drag racing.

Those Drag Pak cars are using stock gearing ?

No one to one? ... who knows eggZACKlee what the 8 speeds are ?

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
4.71 first gear ? eek

the more power you have, the less gear you need....ESPECIALLY with small tires. Please don't go into a rant about a mopar trans....lmao

My rants ? ... well WHAT THE FUGG is next ? Is NHRA going to start allowing NEXT a moder transplant from a MUDstain or CRUMBmaro? whistling grin
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/06/19 11:27 PM

I doubt you'll find one factory GM part in those TH400s, just like you won't find one factory part in the 9" rear ends they're running.

So an LS chevy engine in one as long as it had all aftermarket parts would be ok too?

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
That’s classic!!

Wasn’t it last year the Hellephant was introduced?

Have any of those actually been built and delivered to customers yet?

Mopar likes to have some big unveiling at SEMA......you know...... the “big show”....... then no follow through of actual said products.

.... and they don’t make 1500hp....

Rounded up to the nearest 500.

Good thing for advertising that it was rounded up to the nearest 500, and not simply rounded to the nearest 500...

IIRC, in Mark Pawuk's video interview in 2018, he mentioned his SC Drag Pak having 1200 HP. Hard to imagine there's another 300 +/- HP hiding in the same basic engine combination.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 02:50 PM

The ford's were very near 1500 at the beginning of the season this year - before they made them slow the blower down - I have no doubt that you can get 1500 out of the current engine package in the hands of a well funded team -. Just wait until next spring when Turk will let the beast loose in his blackbird dragpack at the showdown race he is putting together at beach bend - they intend to break the 7.50 barrier - no rules on blower pulleys it will be an all challenger show

These factory cars are the next pro-stock - much more fun to watch

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Harry's Taxi 2

So an LS chevy engine in one as long as it had all aftermarket parts would be ok too?

The Drag Paks come with aftermarket TH400s and 9" rear ends as delivered. The COPOs and CJs come with the same, they're package cars and there's very little stock in FS.
There's a reason those transmissions and rear ends are there, they've had decades of R&D, they're more dependable and aftermarket/billet parts are everywhere.
You could put a Torqueflite in one of those cars, but you'll spend more money, more time working on it and less time racing it.
Posted By: theraif

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 03:25 PM

ya in this vid from last yr @ 16:50 they point out no sfi cases for the 727
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 03:51 PM

I totally agree that this is the "new ProStock"
The catch IMO is it will be very condensed.
Don't see it lasting because of the technology.
I believe it will outrun the NHRA from the angle that the NHRA will over governor it and kill it.
In the meantime LOVE IT!!!!!
Can we group buy PowerBall tickets and buy me one?? drive

On the T400 complaints,back in the day didn't everyone pretty much use 833's/Top Loaders too....... and Dana 60's in other brands?
If you want to go fast,gotta use best piece available. . twocents

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 04:11 PM

Oooops ... 18.40 on the SFI CASE
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 05:03 PM

FS is already the new Pro Stock. Big money, weekly rules changes, endless whining..................

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleD
The ford's were very near 1500 at the beginning of the season this year - before they made them slow the blower down...

Mind boggling eek
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 05:42 PM

170-175MPH at 3500#, regardless of brand, they're making some steam.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by slantzilla
FS is already the new Pro Stock. Big money, weekly rules changes, endless whining..................

iagree $250K+ for a competitive car

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 07:43 PM

So there’s a boost limit spec limit now ?

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 08:06 PM

There is a pulley size spec, but not a "boost" spec that I know of. (And of course there is a blower size spec.)

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 08:40 PM

I bet their truck and trailer costs a lot more than that.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/07/19 09:05 PM

There is a pulley size spec, but not a "boost" spec that I know of. (And of course there is a blower size spec.)

Then there’s HI TECH making the blower the most efficient??!!

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 01:16 PM

I bet their truck and trailer costs a lot more than that.

Probably well into six figures for car, truck and trailer ... then there's multiple car teams.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 03:12 PM

That’s typical grass roots......... right?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 03:16 PM

I don't care what they spend on the cars but I think they should have to show up to the track with a 15 year old Dually and an open trailer and a ten speed bike for the pits lol j/k.

If its going to be anywhere near the spotlight(TV) its going to be giant dollars to compete.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
I don't care what they spend on the cars but I think they should have to show up to the track with a 15 year old Dually and an open trailer and a ten speed bike for the pits lol j/k.

If its going to be anywhere near the spotlight(TV) its going to be giant dollars to compete.

When Big Daddy broke the 250 mph barrier he was driving a Dodge dually and had a bumper hitch trailer. A cheap bumper hitch trailer.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 04:10 PM

Come to an NMCA event - this is classified as sportsman racing - and count the big rigs! Racing at NMCA events has a full range from big rigs to the guy on an open trailer and that about defines the ET range also. You want to play with the fast cars you better have a very deep pocket to be competitive - its a playground for the successful who have an expensive hobby! I have a good friend who races a brand new 2019 COPO - paid into the 6 figures for it - it is a completely turn key race car, combine that with his $250,000 tow rig and that's his hobby. Buying one of these factory race cars is really not much different today than it was in the mid 60's - its just the decimal place moved over a few places.
Posted By: dvw

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 04:14 PM

I show up to NMCA with a 95 dually. But I do have a 16 year old enclosed trailer.
Doug

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
I show up to NMCA with a 95 dually. But I do have a 16 year old enclosed trailer.
Doug

You're rich. Elizabeth Warren is looking for you.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

and you drink beer and ride a bicycle around the pits - You are a true Misfit!
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 05:58 PM

I know I’ll probably get stoned for this but I used to go the the NMCA finals every year at Memphis. Barry Poole would drive His 10 year old Ford pickup down from Canada pulling his open trailer with his stick shift 1968 Cobra Jet Mustang on board. He carried a small tool box and a floor jack and a few spare parts. He came year after year parking in a sea of motor homes and fancy enclosed trailers. Year after year he would go home with all the marbles. It’s hard not to root for the little guy.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 06:06 PM

I see the guys on Classracer whining about how much it costs to enter an NHRA national event. Last time I was at a divisional with Mike Jeffrey, Mime had about the only single rear wheel truck on the place. I don't think I saw 2 open trailers. Duallies, motorhomes, toters, and stackers seemed to be well represented though.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 06:10 PM

I see the guys on Classracer whining about how much it costs to enter an NHRA national event. Last time I was at a divisional with Mike Jeffrey, Mime had about the only single rear wheel truck on the place. I don't think I saw 2 open trailers. Duallies, motorhomes, toters, and stackers seemed to be well represented though.

As my now deceased cousin once said, "It's not the high cost of living, it's the cost of living high".
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 06:24 PM

Aint that the truth!

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 08:55 PM

Gotta ROOT for that Top Fuel team that has rolled into several national events ....ON A RAMP TRUCK !

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/08/19 11:29 PM

Most of those high dollar rigs and $90k dually trucks are nothing more than tax write-offs for businesses back home. I always wondered why someone would have so much invested to race in $1200 to win events until I realized you're often racing businesses and not people. Same goes for these $500k to win events with $3k entry fees.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 12:55 AM

When Big Daddy broke the 250 mph barrier he was driving a Dodge dually and had a bumper hitch trailer. A cheap bumper hitch trailer.

Before that he was towing an open trailer, with Swamp Rat I on it, with a 52 Baby Blue Caddy 4 Dr.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 01:01 AM

I vaguely recall a story Big Daddy told where he drove his Super Stocker from Florida with his wife to a race in another state, dropped the highway gears out on the floor at a local Dodge dealer for a steeper set, won the event, drove back to the dealer where the gears were still on the floor, and drove back to Florida. What an awesome time to be a racer.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 04:24 AM

I remember Don Garlits at the Winternationals one year driving a black four door single wheel Dodge pickup that had a mag Dana 60 in the bed, I made a comment about wishing I had one of them and said no you don't, that one is broken and no good shock
He was pulling a very small enclosed dragster trailer up He was a true gentleman and a real racer bow
Those days are long gone, but not for gotten grin
Posted By: racerx

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 02:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkDpMy7RoF4

sorry if it's a repost.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 02:26 PM

To all the doubters of hp numbers. How much power do you think it takes to push a 3550 lb car to 7.90s @ 170? Real life, not Wallace calculator numbers.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63
To all the doubters of hp numbers. How much power do you think it takes to push a 3550 lb car to 7.90s @ 170? Real life, not Wallace calculator numbers.

No one can deny they don’t run great but there is nothing stock about factory stock. From the block up everything has been changed or modified. Go on the factory stock Facebook groups and you will find out the facts

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 04:21 PM

I don’t have any idea what they actually make...... but the moroso chart shows 170@3550 takes 1340hp.
Posted By: CSK

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 05:53 PM

From Wallace

Attached picture Screenshot (32).png

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 07:22 PM

F/S has nothing to do with "stock" anything. rolleyes

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 08:30 PM

Well, they come from the factory that way. That seems stock to me. Why do you think a stock car is not stock?

Sure, they let you tweak small things like they have for 50 years in Stock.

These are factory drag cars. Like 64's, 65's, 68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas. They are not 318 Challengers. These are factory drag cars. If they go too fast and people are offended I don't know what to say. They are stock cars. They come from the factory that way. They are factory race cars. Like 64's, 65's, 68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas were in their day. They are masterpieces, wonderful, powerful, fast and amazing all at the same time. And I'm proud to be a Mopar guy.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 08:39 PM

Well, they come from the factory that way. That seems stock to me. Why do you think a stock car is not stock?

These are factory drag cars. Like 64's, 65's, 68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas. They are not 318 Challengers. These are factory drag cars. If they go too fast and people are offended I don't know what to say. They are stock cars. They come from the factory that way. They are factory race cars. Like 64's, 65's, 68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas were in their day. They are masterpieces, wonderful, powerful, fast and amazing all at the same time. And I'm proud to be a Mopar guy.

Do you consider the block a small thing.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Do you consider the block a small thing.

I'm not talking about things that are happening in NHRA/NMCA. What I'm saying is 2020 Dragpaks are factory race cars, not street cars. The parts on them don't have to be like the parts on other Challengers. Just like Hellcat parts don't have to be the same as R/T parts. These are factory race cars. The block that comes in the car is the stock block.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/09/19 09:57 PM

That's my point, people expect these purpose built race cars to be related to either a production car or a regular Stocker. They have nothing to do with either except they kinda look like a showroom car.
Posted By: ericlre79

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/16/19 09:17 PM

I was trying to respond to this above!

Well, when we got our 09 dragpak, nicknamed the low budget dragpak, then the over budget dragpak #53 thanks Zippy for all the help back then, I picked it up at the chassis builder with a 08 V8 4runner(with a mountain bike hanging off the rear window and a 20 foot featherlite open trailer. Then off to Bristol where it won class, #1 qualifier, and best engineered. Quite a race car, over the years its been driven by world champs, myself(not champ), Carey, and my two teenagers. Super safe even at 133 plus through the stripe (with a worn 5.7) with a 18 year old daughter shoeing it.

Sorry to say, I didn't trust Dodge build quality for a truck at the time 2010 , the 4runner is at alive and well at 193,000, been down the track over 1,000 times, won money, and will tow 10,000 lbs with ease to florida and back and likely as good as it was new, but thats another story.

Ran it the spartan way for year one and year two a 10X10 pop up tent with a fan running off the honda gen for the wife at the track......she could play her eletronic piano(too)pianist.....

Then I snagged Bucky Hess's stacker and then a pusher MH which made hotel rooms a thing of the past......still use the mountain bike. And now I bring the dakota for superstock and whatever I feel like for stock. Have a couple of smaller enclosed trailers to replicate the spartan days a 20 foot goldrush and a 24 foot ATC, 20 foot featherlite now reisides with a 2 time world champ.

FYI 09 hemi's came with street level blocks for the 5.7 and the 6.1......the 5.9 on the other hand had the r3 derived magnum race block......

The current dragpaks, copos, and cobrajets are absolute monsters............but if I get to race them in stock eliminator, thats good news, will they go red, will they spin, unless it Fletcher and Cagnazzi, then its competitve......but more fun!

Note: I have put more Copos, Cobrajets, dragpaks, etc on the trailer with the #$@$# Gremlin than anything else, so you don't need to spend a [censored]-ton to play in stock and superstock.

Eric
Stock and Superstock
09 dragpak(run as a10)
dakota gt/td known as the bounding beagle
70 rt/se challenger g/s
77 gremlin t/sa
to be completed roller superstocker, xsuperstocker and modified BIW dart sport 76
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 11/17/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ericlre79

Eric
Stock and Superstock
09 dragpak(run as a10)
dakota gt/td known as the bounding beagle
70 rt/se challenger g/s
77 gremlin t/sa
to be completed roller superstocker, xsuperstocker and modified BIW dart sport 76
Cool story Mr Merryfield, thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing you on NHRA.TV and DragRacer TV.

Re: New Drag Pak Challenger being announced 11/5 ???? - 12/09/19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ericlre79
thanks Zippy for all the help back then

Sorry I just caught that, but you're very welcome. I was just doing my job.
© 2024 Moparts Forums