Moparts

4.25 stroke small block. Experience?

Posted By: cudadoug

4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/03/19 01:28 AM

Anyone have the good, bad or ugly with a 4.25” crank in a small block??

Seems like ALOT of crank in a small space.

Any excessive side loading anyone have an opinion on?

Bloomer, you out there somewhere???

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/03/19 03:03 AM

Moparbilly’s IMM built small block mill was a 4.25 piece. Couple of drag weeks, nos assisted quarter passes, drove it around metro Phoenix... pretty stout well thought out combo.

*my bad.... I believe that was a 4.125 stroke in moparbilly’s
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/03/19 03:38 AM

I did a 427 inch SB once using a 4.125 crank with small journal chevy rods. Things were very close. The windage tray had to be modified, we tried several different oil pickup tubes before finding one that worked, etc. Hughes might still sell their stroker kit with the 4.180 stroke and Honda journals. That combo might clear things a little better. I'm not so sure I'd try the 4.250 combo unless I had a lot of time and patience.

Attached picture DSC_5779 (Large).JPG
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/03/19 03:41 AM

Was it Ron Silva that built a 501 cube smallblock, posted here? Google Silvaliant
Posted By: jcc

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/03/19 07:14 PM

I got 2 4.25"/2.0" cranks, a 340 & 360. the 340 is supposed to be in a deep skirt A8 alum dry sump block. As we all know, both Rome and A8's aren't built in a day. bawling
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/03/19 10:21 PM

I use a Rod Bloomer 4.250 crank in my old x block. Its worked well. I dont use a standard style pick up.Thats where a big problem is. I have a Kevco pan with arear pick up.It cleared everything with minimal work. On my Molnar 4.125 crank it helped to cut the front and rear counter weight about .300. Using comp star rods and JE pistons it balanced very easy. The 4.250 x 4.125 x block has been 5.66 at about 121. I dont spin it very high, I shiift it about 65-6600

If this web site werent so difficult some older members might stop in more often. I havent been here in quite some time.

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/04/19 04:57 PM

Thanks all! I have access to a 4.25" crank motor, in an R3 block (with the Bloomer kit) and by biggest concern was excess side loading of the cylinder walls. So I text Bloomer Saturday and he responds. Not only did he respond, but he was on a break during a bow hunting trip. Now, THAT is service after the sale!
Posted By: MichaelF

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/04/19 05:44 PM

you mind sharing what he had to say? interested in this stuff also....Thanks!

Michael
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/04/19 07:20 PM

You're right Billy's was a 4.125 stroke. I still have a copy of the receipt with the specs that Billy posted on here once. I believe Streetwise did a 4.25 stroke on the relatively cheap though.
Originally Posted by J_BODY
Moparbilly’s IMM built small block mill was a 4.25 piece. Couple of drag weeks, nos assisted quarter passes, drove it around metro Phoenix... pretty stout well thought out combo.

*my bad.... I believe that was a 4.125 stroke in moparbilly’s

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/05/19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelF

Michael

Just that in a nutshell, the excess side loading deal is all talk. His piston called for a .003 piston to wall clearance to minimize piston rock to further help the situation. He claims many 4.25" crank combos in service with thousands of runs/miles, with no issues that he has been aware of.

I must say again, Bloomer was great about my questions. We left our conversation with him wishing me luck if I bought this motor and if I had any more questions to reach out to him. Class guy! .

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/05/19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by DavidDean
I use a Rod Bloomer 4.250 crank in my old x block. Its worked well. I dont use a standard style pick up.Thats where a big problem is. I have a Kevco pan with arear pick up.It cleared everything with minimal work. On my Molnar 4.125 crank it helped to cut the front and rear counter weight about .300. Using comp star rods and JE pistons it balanced very easy. The 4.250 x 4.125 x block has been 5.66 at about 121. I dont spin it very high, I shiift it about 65-6600

If this web site werent so difficult some older members might stop in more often. I havent been here in quite some time.

has been 5.66 at about 121. shocked
Posted By: MichaelF

Re: 4.25 stroke small block. Experience? - 11/05/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cudadoug
Originally Posted by MichaelF

Michael

Just that in a nutshell, the excess side loading deal is all talk. His piston called for a .003 piston to wall clearance to minimize piston rock to further help the situation. He claims many 4.25" crank combos in service with thousands of runs/miles, with no issues that he has been aware of.

I must say again, Bloomer was great about my questions. We left our conversation with him wishing me luck if I bought this motor and if I had any more questions to reach out to him. Class guy! .

Thanks a lot!

Michael
© 2024 Moparts Forums