Moparts

Dyno Time Finally RESULTS IN

Posted By: HDNMOPERS

Dyno Time Finally RESULTS IN - 10/28/19 10:29 PM

Finally getting to dyno my engine. Will be on the dyno at Precision Machine Service in Pigeon Forge Tn tomorrow morning. Go on their FB if you want see other dyno runs they have done. Hoping Matt Hensley can make it to kinda over see the dyno session. Since he did the build. The guess the number game is on. 100% street engine build for now. May change cams later. If I want it a little more street rowdy. So here's the build.
Low Deck 512
Molner crank and rods Diamond dished pistons 10.3 comp
Trick Flow 240s ported by Larry Smith B3 geometry correction 1.6 RAU rockers
M1 single plane ported by Larry Smith
850 Thumper Carb
Dwayne Porter spec Solid FT cam 112 LSA in at 108 Int 244@50 .555 lift Ex 252@50 .564 Lift
Dyno headers are 2 inch. Only size he had

Little Surprised it didn't pull any further than it did. HP about 5 over what I had in my head. TQ is about 40 over what I thought it would be. We only pulled to 5700 cause it just didn't make anymore after 5400-5500. Messed with some timing and jetting. It's safe and will tune more once it's in the car. Just had him print out to peak. Thanks to all involved Matt and Ken Hensley Dominic Thumper Dwayne Porter Larry Smith and Mike Beachal

Attached picture SAE Correction Factor.gif
Attached picture STD Standard Correction Factor.gif
Posted By: CSK

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/28/19 11:01 PM

Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/28/19 11:25 PM

Matt Hensley and his dad are two fine people with great attention to detail.
Bet you will be happy
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by HDNMOPERS
Finally getting to dyno my engine. Will be on the dyno at Precision Machine Service in Pigeon Forge Tn tomorrow morning. Go on their FB if you want see other dyno runs they have done. Hoping Matt Hensley can make it to kinda over see the dyno session. Since he did the build. The guess the number game is on. 100% street engine build for now. May change cams later. If I want it a little more street rowdy. So here's the build.
Low Deck 512
Molner crank and rods Diamond dished pistons 10.3 comp
Trick Flow 240s ported by Larry Smith B3 geometry correction 1.6 RAU rockers
M1 single plane ported by Larry Smith
850 Thumper Carb
Dwayne Porter spec Solid FT cam 112 LSA in at 108 Int 244@50 .555 lift Ex 252@50 .564 Lift
Dyno headers are 2 inch. Only size he had

Only thing that jumps out at me is the small carb. I'm surprised Dom didn't talk you into a dominator.

Everything else looks pretty dang nice. A Porter cam, a quality cylinder head guy and you fixed the geometry. Everything to like.

On pump gas, 600-620 should be pretty easy.

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 12:23 AM

Absolutely they are. They were very helpful through out the whole build. Very cool to talk with Ken an Matt about the SS Hemi stuff and the Allen Johnson pro stock stuff.

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 12:31 AM

Funny you say that about Dominic. We talked about a Dominator. We decided to go with the 850 for now with the option to a bigger carb later.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 12:33 AM

I guess 645hp. Any idea of head flow numbers? It sure has everything going for it. Best of luck!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 01:23 AM

The dyno results will depend on how good the air is their tomorrow, I know most dyno correct to a SAE standard so ask them to give you the actual as well as the corrected results to compare both. scope up
If it doesn't make more than 630 HP. and 670+ Ft lbs. torque something is amiss I fear twocents work
Let us know the air fuel results are also please up Are you going to do carb (jetting) and engine timing tuning tests also?
I'm thinking between 12.8 to 13.5 AFR will be near the best on pump gas luck scope

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 01:50 AM

Yes will be some carb and timing tuning.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 02:12 AM

610@5800
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 03:59 AM

Peak torque of 660 at 5600
Peak HP of 633 at around 6500
Just some educated guesses. I have ran a few if Larrys across the dyno....Might make more but the street will love that thing. Great out of the gate. Low RPM torque will be impressive.
Todd
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 03:52 PM

Peak torque of 660 at 5600
Peak HP of 633 at around 6500

If the motor made 660tq@5600....... that would be 703hp at the same rpm.

I really try not to “race dyno’s”, since there can be a lot of factors that influence the final results, but I’ll put it this way......
If I were testing it here with 2” headers, I’d be looking for 650-660tq in the 46-4800 range and about 630-640hp peak in the 6000-6300 range.

I haven’t run anything yet myself with the TF heads at all..... so just pure speculation on my part.
I’ve added a few hundred rpm to the peaks on my guesses based on the added porting of the heads and the intake being ported.
Otherwise, stroker BB Mopars with short cams and std port heads usually peak pretty early.

The cam is small, based on what the original criteria was for where the motor was going to end up and how it would be used.
If the goal were just to make a big number.......there’s certainly easy power to be made by swapping to a longer duration cam.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 06:09 PM

That engine is similar to the 496 inch engine in my Coronet. My engine made 613 hp at 5800 and 631 torque at 4800.

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 07:17 PM

If the hp ends up peaking closer to your 5800 as opposed to 6000-6300....... then I’d expect the hp number to be lower than what I predicted.

I’d be pretty surprised if it couldn’t make 650ft/lbs........ how far up the power curve it can hang on to it with the small cam is the question mark for me.
Like I said...... I nudged the peak rpm up a bit because of the porting.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 09:10 PM

Could happen, just depends on how well the parts are matched. I have a TF intake on my engine which is a better design than the M1 but a ported M1 might work pretty good. My cam is a hyd roller and a touch smaller but it all depends on the combo. The TF heads work pretty well with some cams and don't work so well with other cams. Who knows how those heads will work once they've been ported. If all the parts are working together then it could be a 625/650 engine.

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 11:34 PM

Is there a reason they stopped the pulls so low?

Carb looks like it goes pretty rich within a few hundred rpm at the top of the pull.

3 columns of data agree..... bsfc, fuel flow, a/f ratio.

Pretty big numbers though.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 11:46 PM

nice number . very small cam for a 512 . be great in a heavy street car or truck .

Tex

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/29/19 11:59 PM

Dwayne we pulled to 5700 it just didn't make anymore above 5400-5500. I had him just print to peak. Yeah talk to Dominic after about it going rich on top. Had no phone reception where the dyno was at. He told me what it was most likely doing and what to change. Just wish we could of talked during the session.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by tex013
nice number . very small cam for a 512 . be great in a heavy street car or truck .

Tex

My combo is very similar! Don't make the mistake of a loose converter or deep gears.

Mine is so much fun on the street and we have a ball racing it as well.

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by HDNMOPERS
Dwayne we pulled to 5700 it just didn't make anymore above 5400-5500. I had him just print to peak. Yeah talk to Dominic after about it going rich on top. Had no phone reception where the dyno was at. He told me what it was most likely doing and what to change. Just wish we could of talked during the session.

My guess is, had you been able to get the fuel curve straightened out, it would have hung on a bit better.

Even with it going pretty rich several lines earlier than 5400, the numbers were still trending upwards.

Were the headers dyno headers, regular headers, or fenderwell headers?

No dyno shop carb on hand to try?

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 12:20 AM

Hooker 2 inch chassis headers. No shop carb. Yeah it started trending rich around 4100 it looks. Man I wish I could of talked to Dom during the session. It will be fine though got it broke in and some numbers. Will fine tune with a AFR in the car. Thanks again Dwayne that little cam worked pretty dang good. Think it will be right at home on the street.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 01:52 AM

How much do your heads flow ?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Dyno Time Finally RESULTS IN - 10/30/19 02:34 AM

Is that supposed to be the uncorrected data sheet followed by the corrected data?

Any idea what the atmospheric conditions were during the tests?

Does your data include the correction factors?
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 02:37 AM

Numbers look pretty stout. Ought to be fun riding in anything under 4000 lbs.....Interesting that a solid cam motor ran out of steam under 6 grand. Good job.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 03:41 AM

Congrats, it runs real nice. What did you change in the carb for the second run? What was the best timing?
Posted By: tex013

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by sasquatch
Numbers look pretty stout. Ought to be fun riding in anything under 4000 lbs.....Interesting that a solid cam motor ran out of steam under 6 grand. Good job.

Todd , thats 14 deg down on the ft in my 440 . Especially with stock ports on a 512

Tex
Posted By: 383man

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 11:33 AM

Congrats. Nice numbers ! up Ron
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 11:50 AM

Nice numbers and thanks for sharing. I'm planning on a 512 build at some point with similar compression and same heads so gives me a pretty good idea of where I may end up with it.

Re: Dyno Time Finally RESULTS IN - 10/30/19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by BradH
Is that supposed to be the uncorrected data sheet followed by the corrected data?

Looks to me like 2 different correction factors....... SAE vs STP.

Based of the fuel flow and bsfc........ the uncorrected peaks are 632tq@4500, 579hp@5400.

At peak HP, the correction for STP power would be 1.1135.

It “appears” as though the carb going rich def cost some top end power.
The bsfc number of .451 in itself really isn’t that bad....... but the a/f ratio in the 11’s, in that part of the power curve, is going to cost some power.

For the peak tq and peak hp to only end up 900rpm apart is a bit odd for a motor with decent heads/intake and a dual pattern 112lsa cam.

I had a 505 on the dyno a couple years ago........ stage 1 RPM’s and a 6bbl.
Peak tq @4300, peak hp @5800.

I def feel that with a more optimized fuel curve, the hp peak would have moved up a few hundred rpm.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Dyno Time Finally RESULTS IN - 10/30/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Originally Posted by BradH

Looks to me like 2 different correction factors....... SAE vs STP.

Based of the fuel flow and bsfc........ the uncorrected peaks are 632tq@4500, 579hp@5400.

Ahhh... didn't notice the two different correction factor methods used.

The SAE one looks far more realistic.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 05:08 PM

To answer a few questions and the 1st being why the small carb and no Dommy is because of the car the motor was originally going in is heavy as in 3700+ lbs iirc w/a tight vert and tall gears which as we know don't play well together. The first pull and curve started a bit lean as the float level was too low so they raised it and jetted up at the same time making it even richer so they removed only the primary jets and left the secondary's in which didn't help but if we could of talked I would of suggested bringing the rears back down to the 8 jet spread and bigger hi bleeds would of smoothed it out nicely. Small carbs on big motors do just what I expected it to do being the velocity goes up big time pulling harder on the boosters hence going rich and my dart hates 4150's makin my car too peaky down low and not happy up top lacking the needed air flow and why I put bigger than normal carbs on stuff usually with great results but it's all a learning curve for sure......

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 11:13 PM

Yeah I screwed up on the jetting deal. After talking to Dominic today I understand now what he was talking about. After telling him what I did and him reading the AFR data. My mistake made sense to him. I got a better handle on what to do now. And definitely believe there was some HP and RPM left on the table. With the messed up fuel curve I created. Thats on me. Thats why I went with the Thumper built carb. He's a phone call away and explained what I did wrong in a way even I could understand. The carb performed perfect. Reason I say that. Is the carb did exactly what I made it do and it showed up in the data. So even with this baseline. I know what changes to make. Then I can fine tune the carb in the car under real time condition with a AFR gauge. Thank you again Dominic. I posted the SAE and the STD correction factors just for comparison
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Dyno Time Finally - 10/30/19 11:38 PM

I've done some stupid stuff myself, who hasn't and you're right, I think it would of picked up another 15-20 hp imo based on some recent track and dyno data some racers send me and actual at the track improvements. I did a pr of blp billet 4150's for a Nostalgia SS guy Fred B, and his Hemi picked up 42 hp from jetting down 2 sizes in the blp jets I use and made 994 hp and went 8.90's foot brakin and it's not light either.......Fun stuff......
© 2024 Moparts Forums