Moparts

Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work

Posted By: 1980volare

Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 10/21/19 06:14 PM

https://youtu.be/Dyd-k-gdeRU

1.41 60’ with the back tires. Probably was going to be a PB run if it stayed down.

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 10/21/19 06:15 PM

Picture was worth the broken ball joint.

Attached picture 18EF422E-5B10-4FD5-98ED-2806109490D5.jpeg
Posted By: GY3

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 10/21/19 07:59 PM

I couldn't get them to work with A-body SS 456/457 springs.

We went with split mono's and did a 1.38 60 ft. this weekend.

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/15/20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

It’s all on the shocks.

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/15/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1980volare
Originally Posted by GY3

It’s all on the shocks.

Possibly. I didn't have adjustables then.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/15/20 02:21 PM

Calvert did his R&D for CalTracs on a 4-speed Super Stock CJ Mustang w/ multi-leaf springs that were flatter & way stiffer than normal... I'd be surprised if those things barely flexed under load.

CalTracs and SS springs "fight" each other, unless you Band-Aid the sh!t outta the combination like IIRC Tony R (n2Omstr) did for a while.

I ran CalTracs w/ basic multi-leaf springs when I first tried them, but I pulled the SS springs off first. Too many people had already complained about that combination. I eventually swapped to Calvert's mono-leafs, which did work better for me.

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/15/20 04:13 PM

I went a 1.33 w/Rancho 5-ways in the rear and 90-10's up front...........
Posted By: weedburner

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/15/20 04:31 PM

Who says they didn't work? Move a little weight to the front and see what happens.

Grant
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 01:47 PM

Can it work?..... Sure. Would it work even better with the proper spring ratio? There’s only one way to find that out.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 01:54 PM

Never fooled with SS springs but I can confirm that the XHD springs definitely aren't the best option with caltracs.

I have them on my 67 Barracuda and even with a slow 1.50 60 ft I still had to clamp the heck out of them to try to control the axle wrap.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 05:44 PM

When I bought the Caltracs for my Duster 20+ years ago Travis specifically told me to not use them with SS springs.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 06:29 PM

If you have the Calverts why mess with SS springs? Just use the stock spring. If it flexes too much add a leaf under the main or just clamp them. That’s like two people pulling the same spark plug.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
If you have the Calverts why mess with SS springs? Just use the stock spring. If it flexes too much add a leaf under the main or just clamp them. That’s like two people pulling the same spark plug.

This ^^^

So, what you are telling me is running SS springs with a pinion snubber & Calvert bars at the same time wont make my car dead hook in a mud puddle LOL smile

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by csk
Originally Posted by cudaman1969

This ^^^

So, what you are telling me is running SS springs with a pinion snubber & Calvert bars at the same time wont make my car dead hook in a mud puddle LOL smile

The Mopar Performance Chassis Manual doesn't mention Cal-Tracs so, obviously, they don't work... grin
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 08:16 PM

I started with CalTraks and stock leafs with the bottom removed now it has the mono's and double adjustable strange shocks works for me...60's with CT's and stock springs was 1.51, now 1.43 with MSD Grid traction control killing 14* for 2 seconds it is 1.43 60', and that was in 55* weather and cold track. Early on I did experiment with SS springs and was way to stiff, wit & without CT's.

Attached picture oQjAAFmw.jpeg.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 09:58 PM

I learned a long time ago that on Moparts saying something works or doesn't work is meaningless. Some people's definition of working is really lax. I've seen stuff posted that I'd never run on a car and the poster says "oh yeah, it works great".
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
I started with CalTraks and stock leafs with the bottom removed now it has the mono's and double adjustable strange shocks works for me...60's with CT's and stock springs was 1.51, now 1.43 with MSD Grid traction control killing 14* for 2 seconds it is 1.43 60', and that was in 55* weather and cold track. Early on I did experiment with SS springs and was way to stiff, wit & without CT's.

what front tires are on your car in that pic of the underside of your car?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/16/20 11:04 PM

Move your shocks straight up and down and watch the 60's drop even more.....
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/17/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by krautrock
Originally Posted by Keith Richards

what front tires are on your car in that pic of the underside of your car?

M/T ET Front

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/17/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thumperdart
Move your shocks straight up and down and watch the 60's drop even more.....

We built a new upper bracket that moves the upper shock mount and makes the shock have just a few degrees of angle vs. the near 45° factory angle. Was, honestly, really surprised at how well it works!

Attached picture Screenshot_20191023-204506.jpg

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/17/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I learned a long time ago that on Moparts saying something works or doesn't work is meaningless. Some people's definition of working is really lax. I've seen stuff posted that I'd never run on a car and the poster says "oh yeah, it works great".

Moparts is the equivalent of the Bible; it’s there, but does it really mean anything?
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Multi leaf springs and caltracs don’t work - 01/17/20 03:50 PM

Good analogy Volare, loved it !!!

Joe
© 2024 Moparts Forums