Moparts

Coilover Thrust Bearings?

Posted By: mopowers

Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/12/19 04:05 PM

For those of your running coilovers, front or rear, do you use the thrust bearings with them? Are they useful? I'd imagine once ride height is set, there isn't must adjusting done afterwards, is there?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/12/19 04:46 PM

Makes setup much easier.
I put them in anything I work on.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/12/19 05:01 PM

If the coil just pushes against a flat surface, one end or both will try to rotate as the spring compresses, but not smoothly (unless it's greased!).
The bearing assures smooth rotation so momentary binding will not give you a false picture.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/12/19 05:03 PM

They're great, just remember to use the set screws, or jam adjuster. They let the spring adjuster rotate so easily, they can turn on their own from vibration.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/12/19 06:48 PM

Unless your turning the adjuster with the weight on the suspension on it I see no need. I've never had any trouble moving them.
Doug
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/12/19 07:13 PM

I use them on everything.

On some applications I use light springs that require being substantially compressed to store some energy and hold the car at ride height. Takes some effort. Front springs are worse because of the spring rates, especially on A-arms. I don't like busting my knuckles or damaging parts. On an aluminum body shock with coarse threads, it helps reduce the likelihood of damaging or tearing up the threads or the adjuster.

And I use spring heights to adjust corner weights, ride heights, level, etc., so it's not usually just a set and forget deal.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/12/19 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
If the coil just pushes against a flat surface, one end or both will try to rotate as the spring compresses, but not smoothly (unless it's greased!).
The bearing assures smooth rotation so momentary binding will not give you a false picture.

Never really thought about that, haven't read about it or being discussed here.

But ir sure makes me wonder about the ramifications on valve springs, and in difference to OP and staying OT, i will not go farther, but would like to. work

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/13/19 03:36 AM

But the springs will try to rotate when the car launches; how do you know both L & R will move the same amount? Any friction increases the spring rate by resisting compression. IDK how much, but none is better than unknown.

Valve springs should have the same problem, but Spintron shows that gaps frequently appear in all places in high speed operation (we would prefer not!) so there is some cancellation when the parts separate momentarily. A tiny Lazy Susan under the lower collar would help, but those tiny needles won't stand the impact very well. At the upper collar is reciprocating weight, so not good either.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/13/19 04:56 PM

I like to use the bearings, but never considered this as another reason to do so. While all true, is the effect on the springs, and the application of force on the upper and lower platforms, significant enough to be concerned about? It's not like the springs are being run through such a large amount of movement relative to the travel available from free length to bind as valve springs are. A well sorted suspension has a relatively small amount of change to installed spring height during a run.

And of course, a jam nut or adjuster lock should be used to stop the adjuster from being turned by the force exerted on it.

If bearing kits on the shocks means this is one less issue to keep me awake at night, then I will add it to the list of benefits from using them.

Re: Coilover Thrust Bearings? - 10/14/19 02:15 AM

The heaviest coil will rotate the least. In the same lbs./inch rate, the steepest pitch will rotate the most.

All springs "store" the same amount of energy when the car is at rest: it's the weight of the car. A long, weak spring continues to act as we want as the nose rises.
A very heavy spring may top out before the front shock or limiter is fully extended, and take the weight suddenly and very hard as the nose comes down.
© 2024 Moparts Forums