Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Drag Week 2020 - 10/11/19 06:15 PM

Dates and tracks are announced

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-rod-drag-week-2020-tracks/

Attached picture 6C8A3BF4-A017-4AC9-A360-842D21167CA2.png
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/11/19 09:09 PM

Looooooong drive between Byron and 131.

I went to Cordova a couple years ago to watch. Had a blast. Will be fun going to Byron next year
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/11/19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by MoonshineMattK
Looooooong drive between Byron and 131.

I went to Cordova a couple years ago to watch. Had a blast. Will be fun going to Byron next year

263 miles according to google, Hot Rod will probably add some to that but that isn't terrible mileage for drag week.

Worst i have done on drag week was 415 miles Memphis to Tulsa 2012, we also had a 380 mile run that same year.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/11/19 09:34 PM

Memphis to Tulsa as the last drive of the week was brutal.
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/12/19 02:16 AM

Holy smokes
If your car can handle that kind of mileage its definitely a "street car"
Posted By: furious70

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/12/19 02:41 AM

sweet, I'll be able to catch 2 days of it!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/12/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by MoonshineMattK
Holy smokes
If your car can handle that kind of mileage its definitely a "street car"
For sure! Folks that think otherwise are just not informed.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/18/19 12:45 AM

I'll for sure be there with my trusty trunk Monkey Jeff! We are both pumped about it.

Attached picture hemi coupe on road cropped.jpg
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 10/18/19 09:30 AM

Im going to try again hopefully with a happier engine

Attached picture Screenshot_20191018-052952_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: moparjoe360.4

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/01/19 12:54 AM

I might be dreaming but I’m seriously considering going this year, it’s not quite as close as 2016 but still basically in my backyard, and it’s been on my bucket list for a while. Problem is my car is in a million pieces and has never run during my ownership.

Attached picture 83333007-97A5-40F4-AF0A-C0F3EB23167D.jpeg
Attached picture 843E19A6-92E3-4F25-B57C-883ECA2CC9C9.jpeg

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/01/19 03:46 AM

Drag week is great motivation. Set a goal to be there, make a plan on how much progress you need to make each week to be ready, then get busy!
Posted By: tex013

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/01/19 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by NoFrills
Im going to try again hopefully with a happier engine

Is that a paddle pool on your trailer ?

whistling

Tex
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/01/19 09:30 AM

Cheep guy sleeping arrangements.

Attached picture 20190910_063913.jpg

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/01/19 10:35 AM

Neat

Tex

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/01/19 02:29 PM

You will have a blast, but you better get started!
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/01/19 07:49 PM

That is SO COOL!!
Posted By: moparjoe360.4

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Drag week is great motivation. Set a goal to be there, make a plan on how much progress you need to make each week to be ready, then get busy!

The goal is to have it ready to go racing by spring. I already have a fresh 410 small block and 727 sitting here along with 90% of everything else needed to complete it. I just have to build the 4.30 geared 8 3/4 center and get the whole mess assembled then start shaking it down and then hope it’s not quicker than 11.50 because a roll bar isn’t in the plans right now. green
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 02:23 AM

I've never seen any one post about the pay back for drag drag week from the magazines, is there one (pay for winning or runner up) for winning your class?
I think the magazines are making a hoop of money from it by writing about it in their rags work shruggy
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 03:09 AM

Hit the truck stops for a shower and you got it made in the shade.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I've never seen any one post about the pay back for drag drag week from the magazines, is there one (pay for winning or runner up) for winning your class?
I think the magazines are making a hoop of money from it by writing about it in their rags work shruggy

Zero payouts for Drag Week... If you are looking to make money at the event, you wouldn't understand why people do it.

The magazine coverage for the event has been almost nothing the last couple years.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 10:15 AM

Prob just another sign the internet is killing paper again..... sure seems a lot of people watch the live feed

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 11:40 AM

It should be interesting to see what they publish this year. It seems they actually reached out to some people to try and harvest stories etc.

They have shed a few staffers over the last few years that I feel hurt the publication. Elana Scher and Phillip Thomas were both Hot Rod staff that dug deep in the event and gave great coverage. Neither one of them work for Hot Rod anymore.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 03:16 PM

and i REALLY miss Billy's wright ups !
angel
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/02/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
angel

Agreed, I miss Billy's take on things Dragweek

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/03/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Just-a-dart
angel

Billy is going to be missed around here for a very long time. At least by me. He was a remarkable individual.
Posted By: keefe

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/03/19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Originally Posted by Just-a-dart
angel

Billy is going to be missed around here for a very long time. At least by me. He was a remarkable individual.

RIP Mopar Billy angel

Here's a link to Mopars at 2019 Drag week and some coverage of Billy's family...

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/gallery-cuda-ricks-2019-hot-rod-drag-week-adventure/

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...rod-drag-week-adventure.html#Post2705839

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/03/19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
[
Zero payouts for Drag Week... If you are looking to make money at the event, you wouldn't understand why people do it.

The magazine coverage for the event has been almost nothing the last couple years.

You are absolutely correct on my not understanding working your butt off and spending a hoop of money to help the magazine sell more of their products while not offering even a small rewards for doing this event other than writing about their experiences and some printing of the winners for each day and the event chanmpions confused
I was invited to participate in the first Engine Masters Competition, when I ask about rewards for the winners they didn't respond or offer me any more invitations whistling boogie devil
My thinking is if your doing work for a corporation that will help them sell their products you should be paid, at least the winners in a competition, for doing well when you win twocents work
Volunteer work helping people or communities is one thing, using and abusing people by holding a competition in a hobby they love that mainly helps the company putting it on is not something I want to help promote, let alone pay a entry fee for, and participate in for zero pay back is not in my things to accomplish in my life down
This is America, you have the God given right and freedom to pursue anything you like to create your happyness up grin
Posted By: racerx

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/03/19 09:50 PM

Back when Eddie was running in the street class and one of the first in the 7's with his Duster didn't he receive a jacket and trophy? whistling I actually like drag week tho.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/03/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by racerx
Back when Eddie was running in the street class and one of the first in the 7's with his Duster didn't he receive a jacket and trophy? whistling I actually like drag week tho.

Yaaaa and money collected on Moparts so he could make it there. 😂
Posted By: squirrel

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 12:26 AM

Wow, there's a curmudgeon here.

Drag Week is still a blast....don't worry.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 02:15 AM

Cab, I've been on drag week 10 times and the fact that they don't pay is 100% completely irrelevant to me. Same with any racing I've done. I race because I'm a racer. That's what I love to do. Racing's a money pit. If I won a cash prize for doing well at a race, so what? The prize would be a fart in a hurricane. I'd still be way under water. I don't care if a magazine makes money off of coverage of the event. It's no different than if you race at NHRA. They make money off of the racers. Unless you're a professional racer, it's going to be a money pit win or lose. Those of us who do drag week love to race, and we love the event. if they started throwing big prize money out, it would probably ruin it. It's very grassroots. You see a lot of the kind of cars that will never fit in at the events that pay bucks.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 03:41 AM

Joel, we race for the same reasons, I love it also up
Growing up in SO CA back when drag racing was big I cut my drag racing teeth on the street and then at several different SO CA drag strips ran under AHRA, NHRA and some non certified tracks for local street racers. All of them gave you a trophy or money prizes for winning your class and later on your bracket when it got big.
I chose drag racing as my passion, it is a money pit and it consumes a bunch of my time even today, I still do it as I like to win and go fast, I've thought of putting a younger better driver in my current car but I haven't found the person I would let drive it with trust and knowing they can provide good feedback when things start to go sour shruggy I didn't choose to go drag racing for the money but when you win and get some of your investment back it adds to the addiction whiney devil grin
Maybe some day I'll find a good driver, hopefully before I sell both cars luck

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 04:24 AM

They do give out a nice jacket to the winner of each class. Plus some other stuff to the winners of the top 3 fastest classes like drums of fuel, and fancy Drag Week electric guitars.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 04:30 AM

And I did get that free GV overdrive in 2014....

Anyways, racing is a fun hobby for me, and Drag Week turns it into a really challenging, real world adventure. And it gave me an excuse to build a neat Mopar. Which I have to get working on again, for 2020.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 01:09 PM

The experience, and friendships made on Drag Week, by far outweigh any payout. Billy always did an awesome job of describing Drag Week in his write ups, but it can't be put into words, it NEEDS to be experienced. I stay in contact with people I first met on DW 2015 yet today. In fact one of them, I've offered to pull his car, with my truck and trailer to DW 2020, just because it is a opportunity of a life time for him, and the adventure that lies ahead, will be priceless.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 02:30 PM

It is hard to fully appreciate Drag Week without actually doing it as a driver or a rider aka trunk monkey.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 02:40 PM

I can see it as being fun and a true challenge, but what I can’t understand is if guys love it so much and it only happens once a year why can’t guys get there cars ready for it. Even Billy admitted every year that he always started getting ready late for it every year and a lot of the story was about stuff that could or should have been addressed months earlier. It’s hysterical watching the same guys bow out every year. I just shake my head when they post they signed up.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
I can see it as being fun and a true challenge, but what I can’t understand is if guys love it so much and it only happens once a year why can’t guys get there cars ready for it. Even Billy admitted every year that he always started getting ready late for it every year and a lot of the story was about stuff that could or should have been addressed months earlier. It’s hysterical watching the same guys bow out every year. I just shake my head when they post they signed up.

Why??? because most people have jobs, family and other adult life that gets in the way. Even if you have the car ready a month in advance, you are testing, checking, and fixing things. It's a 6 day event with tech, and now add in drive time, both ways. You burn up 2 weeks right there. After the event you are so exhausted, and don't want to even look at the car for a couple months. Then you take the car apart, make some changes, wait on the machine shop to get back to you... Next thing you know, you have a month until the event starts again.

The event is not for everyone. Most people that have experienced, NEVER look at racing the same way. Your expectations of what a fast street car, are tossed right out the window, once you survive the event.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 05:11 PM

Why??? because most people have jobs, family and other adult life that gets in the way. Even if you have the car ready a month in advance, you are testing, checking, and fixing things. It's a 6 day event with tech, and now add in drive time, both ways. You burn up 2 weeks right there. After the event you are so exhausted, and don't want to even look at the car for a couple months. Then you take the car apart, make some changes, wait on the machine shop to get back to you... Next thing you know, you have a month until the event starts again.

The event is not for everyone. Most people that have experienced, NEVER look at racing the same way. Your expectations of what a fast street car, are tossed right out the window, once you survive the event.

Ya but many of these guys sign up every year and never end up going so that excuse doesn’t fly for many. And a two month break shows a lack of wanting it very bad.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 05:52 PM

Ya but many of these guys sign up every year and never end up going so that excuse doesn’t fly for many. And a two month break shows a lack of wanting it very bad.

Signing up pushes you to get the car done. I don't know too many that sign up every year, and bow out at the last minute.

As for Not wanting it because of you took 2 months off, that isn't true. Guys like Joel, have a business to run, and a household to maintain. Things that can get sidetracked while trying to prep for DW, and need to be addressed when you get back. For Joel, that is his busy time of year at work, and he puts in A LOT of hours. Does he want to work on the car after a long day? He has quite a few irons in the fire. When we get to Drag Week it's pretty much ALL business with us. We take it very seriously.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 06:09 PM

Have you ever read the story of the tortoise and the hare? I think that applies in many instances. You have a whole year to be ready. SO you do a bunch of other stuff. Next thing you know, it's crunch time.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 07:42 PM

When we get to Drag Week it's pretty much ALL business with us. We take it very seriously.

The amount of work and preparation you guys do amazes me to compete in those events bow
I've spent many hours preparing my cars to race at the tracks and many, many hours on the road going to those races driving thousands of miles in the truck to get 3 to 10 11,00 10.00 seconds runs,, depending on how I do shruggy
You guys drive a hoop of miles in the same car that you race to get to the next track hundreds of miles away following a predetermine mandatory route, you spend 5 days on the roads to get to all the races, if the car holds up luck
You guys are CRAZY IMOwhistling up Only in America boogie grin
Your guys deal reminds me of a old joke I heard about a guy whipping himself with a horse whip, some one asks him why he does that and his reply is because he feels so good when I stop doing that grin whistling bow
Continue on up

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 08:13 PM

I did pretty good on the first car I built just for Drag Week...I worked on it all day long every day for about 6 months (starting in December the year before), and was driving/testing it right up until that September. The car worked well, and has worked at all the DWs it's been on since (the one time it broke, we were able to get it going again in time to race the next day).

<---The second car I built just for DW was a lot more involved, and I worked on it from December until right before we loaded it on the trailer in September. I didn't work on it full time every day for the first few months, but starting in June, I did. And when I finished Drag Week with it, I didn't want to touch it for a long time. I ended up not taking it this year, took the "old" car instead. I'm just now getting the urge to get back to work on it.

So, why have I spent a couple years of my free time and well over $50k building a couple cars for this stupid race that doesn't even have a payout? I guess I'm an idiot. Fortunately, there are a few guys here who've done it, and fully understand. The rest...well, you can continue to shake your head, and believe we're just crazy. You're probably right.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/04/19 09:25 PM

I get why guys do the event , I know guys who have done Drag Week plus they now have an Australian equivalent .
I appreciate the effort but I guess for me there is no real challenge to 5 days of test and tuning , there is no actual race during or at the end of the Australian event as far as I know . As a racer that is what I want to do . It is funny watching all the last minute Larry's chasing their tail to finish stuff up , same stuff happens here .

Tex

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/05/19 04:28 AM

Oh, it's a real race. You are seriously racing against your competition, just not side by side. And it takes all week to unfold. Always trying for a better et. There is a lot of drama, trying to decide whether to make another pass or hit the road, waiting for the results to be posted each day, calculating your average and theirs, seeing if they make the drive or drop out. You run as quick as you possibly can. You never lift or step on the brakes to win. You can't lose by going to fast. It's a real race.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/05/19 01:12 PM

I can see why guys do it, it just isn't for me. I can't justify the cost to run all week. I love driving my car, but a week long 1500 mile road trip in it doesn't seem all that fun. I'd be deaf, tired, and out of money by Wednesday, lol.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/05/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
I'd be deaf, tired, and out of money by Wednesday, lol.

which is why making it through Friday is so rewarding.

Some guys just like bigger challenges.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 07:01 AM

No better feeling than pulling into the Hotel parking lot on Thursday knowing you made it back to the host track.Races,crewed and the last few times just been a spectator. No better group of people to call friends. When it comes to getting a win in any class it is indeed a Chess game.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
I can see why guys do it, it just isn't for me. I can't justify the cost to run all week. I love driving my car, but a week long 1500 mile road trip in it doesn't seem all that fun. I'd be deaf, tired, and out of money by Wednesday, lol.

I have done six of them and I am usually deaf tired and broke by Wednesday also lol.

Truley a good time and a way to escape reality. You are basically drag racing with drag racing people for 6 whole days when you count tech. I have also done 5 of my 6 drag weeks with my Dad which is impossible to beat.
Posted By: Dart451

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
It should be interesting to see what they publish this year. It seems they actually reached out to some people to try and harvest stories etc.

They have shed a few staffers over the last few years that I feel hurt the publication. Elana Scher and Phillip Thomas were both Hot Rod staff that dug deep in the event and gave great coverage. Neither one of them work for Hot Rod anymore.

See Elana has a story interview with Bailey in this months Hot Rod

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 02:49 PM

Elana is freelancing now, and seems to be still getting plenty of ink in HRM. I like that. But she wasn't on Drag Week the past couple years.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 05:01 PM

I think the best reward of Drag Week is the people. To be able to go have dinner with guys like Squirrel, and his Trunk Monkey, Scott Abbott, Randy Heiselman, HEMI Joel, and many others is pretty cool. So much knowledge, and interesting stories to listen to.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 07:07 PM

Brian has the best stories smile

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by squirrel
Brian has the best stories smile

Yeah can't forget Kohlmann, and Mark Janaky.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 10:24 PM

What Jerico and Squirrel said. Plus total immersion in drag racing culture for an entire week. This is a big thing for me. Unlike real life where it is 99% non car people, on DW, everybody and everything for the whole week is totally Drag Week nuts. Everybody is a car guy (or gal) that we all relate to. At the track, on the drive, at the gas stations, at the check points, at the restaurants, at the hotels, all car nuts. Word gets out and throngs of local car guys congregate at the checkpoints. People sit along the road in lawn chairs and watch the race cars drive by.
Plus the cars, absolutely mind blowing to see the huge variety of street/strip cars, and 9,8,7,6, and now even FIVE SECOND street cars! I am unable to convey to you with typed words the feeling of being in the midst of all this. I'm getting excited just thinking about it now.

Re: Drag Week 2020 - 11/07/19 10:42 PM

I can see the test n tune guys loving this more than the all out racers. All for all you excited guys it’s go time. Hit the shop as it will be here before you can say, damn I’m not going to make it this year, again
© 2024 Moparts Forums